ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #2,087 of 12,512
Damn Man, those are beautiful!!!!

If anyone wants to listen to some great bass work, give Brian Bromberg’s ”Thicker Than Water, ” 24/96 on Qobuz. Not my usual cup of tea, but I'm mesmerized by his fret-work on the VC!
Dude, nice tunes! Another killer song is - My Bass - Brian Bromberg.

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,090 of 12,512
Brian Bromberg is one helluva bassist! Nice picks!

What's the difference between a bass player and a large pizza?

You can feed a family of 4 with a pizza. :laughing:

I keed, I keed.

I love the Qobuz recommendations guys! So easy to click over and give a new album a try...going to do that right now!

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #2,091 of 12,512
What's the difference between a bass player and a large pizza?

You can feed a family of 4 with a pizza. :laughing:

I keed, I keed.

I love the Qobuz recommendations guys! So easy to click over and give a new album a try...going to do that right now!
Q: What do you call a bass player without a girlfriend?
A: Homeless.

Here's one for you...one of my absolute favorite unknown bassists... Jennifer Young from the Travis Larson Band. Her tune Grace to Wonder is beautiful IMO

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,093 of 12,512
and wanted something even more warm / colored for extreme metal?

I guess its a matter of preference and definition of 'extreme'. For me,extreme means blindingly fast,and also for me,I like a fast impulse response and quick decay so it doesnt come out sounding like a muddy blur.
When I owned the Atticus I loved it for classic metal,but felt that the decay lingered too long for faster stuff. Just my .02

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2,094 of 12,512
How many of you would see a purpose to owning an Aeolus alongside a VC and HD800 if you were planning to endgame with 3 different cans, and wanted something even more warm / colored for extreme metal?

Honestly Aeolus Is a little to bright for me. I'd probably be looking at Aurous Audio Borealis, not exactly sure where it falls on the brightness scale but you may find out by googling emphasis on result 2. Same driver as Kennerton Vali (think slam!), but with air this time.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,095 of 12,512
I guess its a matter of preference and definition of 'extreme'. For me,extreme means blindingly fast,and also for me,I like a fast impulse response and quick decay so it doesnt come out sounding like a muddy blur.
When I owned the Atticus I loved it for classic metal,but felt that the decay lingered too long for faster stuff. Just my .02

Probably worth clarifying what I mean by "extreme." I'm thinking of things like Meshuggah or Cattle Decapitation, almost all with harsh vocals. The darkness of the LCD-4 was perfect for that for me (though the 3 is definitely too muddy now as my tastes have evolved). I could crank guttural vocals and thick guitars up without crushing my ears with treble pain - the treble still ended up being plenty loud this way, mind you. I'm not looking for anything much darker than the 4, but probably something headed that direction.

I actually enjoy a lot of this stuff even on my HD800's. But Meshuggah on an HD800 is a migraine recipe. I find the VC closer to the Senn sound than the Audeze. The VC is a more fun spin on accurate to me, where the Audeze was a more accurate spin on fun. The HD800 as my only open can leaves me with a big gap for open-back bass, too.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #2,096 of 12,512
Probably worth clarifying what I mean by "extreme." I'm thinking of things like Meshuggah or Cattle Decapitation, almost all with harsh vocals. The darkness of the LCD-4 was perfect for that for me (though the 3 is definitely too muddy now as my tastes have evolved). I could crank guttural vocals or thick guitars up without crushing my ears with treble pain. I'm not looking for anything much darker than the 4, but probably something headed that direction.
Yeah I dont listen to that kind of metal. For me extreme is melodeath. I know @Hansotek is into math and other sub-genres of metal,and I think he has the Aeolus(?)

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #2,097 of 12,512
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,099 of 12,512
Yeah I dont listen to that kind of metal. For me extreme is melodeath. I know @Hansotek is into math and other sub-genres of metal,and I think he has the Aeolus(?)

Math metal? Is that for engineers and scientists?

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,100 of 12,512
Math metal? Is that for engineers and scientists?

The “math” portion just refers to the propensity for odd time signatures and polyrhythms. Some classic examples would be Meshuggah or Dillinger Escape Plan. It’s a weird combination of high brow and visceral brutality. I literally wrote a college thesis on Meshuggah’s “New Millennium Cyanide Christ.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back