ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #2,056 of 12,513
First time I tried this, I was shocked at how loud 100db is. If anything it will help put you at ease that you're not destroying your ear drums. Or, conversely, that you may need to dial it down a bit.

I tried a few different ways to seal the phones mic in there, and each gave similar peak readings.

I can recommend the free NIOSH Sound Meter app on iOS. Surprisingly good functional and usability for a free app, especially coming from a government agency. I tried half a dozen or so free & paid db meter apps and the results were all pretty similar in measurements.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #2,057 of 12,513
You guys should be aware that a seal is actually pretty important for headphone db measurements as it can add up to 10 dbs to the monitor's perceived loudness! I've been trying to get a good sense of how loud is too loud when it comes to listening for my own well-being for a long time and have yet to come up with a good system myself. I tried taping a CD to the end of a db meter to take measurements, however I think my db meter might be faulty as it reads even my quiet room as being 70db... So I've just gone back to cupping my hands around the mic of my phone lol

Edit: OH! Also, make sure you're using C weighted measuring and not A, as A doesn't account for bass pressure/the lower end of the frequency response since our ears are less sensitive to it in normal situations!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #2,058 of 12,513
Living that #purplelife!

7BF8AF57-E9AC-4059-81AD-2E7CBCED7668.jpeg A89DF9A8-A2BA-4CD3-B5BA-36A7B1E61A93.jpeg

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #2,059 of 12,513
Popping back by, traveling again, almost forgot about how much I love the VC! I can honestly say that for the first time in my HeadFi experience, after several months, I'm as happy today with headphone after several months, as I was the first week (when new toy syndrome is at its peak. I have zero desire to buy, or even really try another headphone, the VC is that good.

Listening to a great new jazz album, by Jon Batiste, ”Chronology of a Dream: Live at the Village Vanguard, ” damn fine music!

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,060 of 12,513
Happy Saturday all.

If you look closely, you can see the hybrid auteur pads. I have entirely reversed my earlier impressions. I said something like "I don't want to roll pads, tube rolling is enough". Who wants to turn down free optionality - madness!?

I have really enjoyed all 3 pads that I have for the VC. Depending on the valves and which pads are the best compliment; pads are a great way to continue to dial-in your ideal sound. After a few months of #auteur-pad-allegiance, I have been really enjoying the other pads for the past few weeks!

20200119_173848.jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #2,062 of 12,513
Hoping my VC ships this week. I ordered two cables one for VC and one for Stellia. I have had Stellia for a while but the cable will be here waiting for the VC.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #2,063 of 12,513
I decided to jump on the latest meme, but with a headphone flair... @zach915m @BooUrns I thought you would get a kick out of it as well lol

*all the pictures were taken by me if anyone was wondering ha

hahah! Well played sir!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #2,064 of 12,513
Late night photography
Has great synergy with Forza Noir
AC2DB068-0964-4E66-B3D7-6D9BB430797C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,065 of 12,513
Hoping my VC ships this week. I ordered two cables one for VC and one for Stellia. I have had Stellia for a while but the cable will be here waiting for the VC.

Looking forward to reading more of your impressions!

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2,066 of 12,513
I decided to jump on the latest meme, but with a headphone flair... @zach915m @BooUrns I thought you would get a kick out of it as well lol

*all the pictures were taken by me if anyone was wondering ha

Would love to see your comparison of the HEDD and VC!

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,067 of 12,513
Would love to see your comparison of the HEDD and VC!
I'll 2nd that... I didn't realize that @Darthpool had ears on the HEDD. The VO seems lke it would be a more natural comparison, but HEDD vs. any ZMF would be interesting to me.

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #2,068 of 12,513
@jinxy245 @Wildcatsare1 I’ll do a quick a/b between the three and see how it goes... I’ll use my RME ADI-2DAC->Phonitor XE combo

But based on memory, I would say the HEDDPhones are brighter and wider but less depth to the soundstage... detail and imaging is slightly better, but can be hit or miss. The ZMFs generally are easier to listen to and across all genres work and are less picky. ZMFs also don’t have any odd behavior where the HEDDPhone can get shouty or even have a “metallic” sheen to some notes/tones. All an all though I don’t think it’s a fair comparison as they are different technology.

That being said, I think the HEDDPhone is a great entry into the space and in my opinion should have most planars in and above its price range shaking in their boots! It does seem to need some break-in as it seemed to get better over time (both brain and mechanical lol)

I’m also biased and a ZMF fan so take that into consideration... as you both know when you get a ZMF headphone you’re not only getting great sound, but, a work of craftsmanship art!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,069 of 12,513
The VC is an incredible ”tool” for hearing differences upstream in your system! The 6SN7’s on the Woo WA5 is supposed to make the least difference, so I've had a a pair of GE’s in for months, never thinking to swap. Decided to switch to a pair of Sylvania GTA’s, brown base, green label and damn, the difference is not subtle! Sweet mids, better tonality from the low to high, greater impact (which Was already exceptional with the VC).

My Parents took my Brother and me to the Newport Jazz Festival a a couple of times, listening to Louis Armstrong, Newport Jazz Festival, 1960, WOW!!! A huge, widely deep soundstage, and tonal accuracy that is goosebumps-inducing!

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #2,070 of 12,513
All an all though I don’t think it’s a fair comparison as they are different technology.
Agreed...not looking for a shootout as much as a signpost...comparison with the familiar since most won't get ears on them (unless perhaps at a CanJam) . Your efforts are much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back