ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Mar 11, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #1,876 of 2,544
I look forward to your listening Impressions, Pharmaboy.

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #1,877 of 2,544
  Just pulled the trigger on a new Liquid Carbon. I've read too many good things about this amp with the Omni/Ori not to...and I'm reasonably sure we're getting near the end of the line for new LCs.

Hoping that when I get this + a balanced cable (looking at Forza Noir HCP MkII), I'll hear even more wonderfulness from the Ori. That's basically what the Ori has been doing for me: I get new & different varieties of wonderful sound, depending on the amp used (all SE to this point).

Haven't even played around w/earpads yet. Currently it's Ori Lambskins; next I'll try Ori cowhide or possibly MrSpeakers Alpha Pads.

Congrats on your new amp.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,878 of 2,544
Congrats on your new amp.

Besides trying to reply to this post from @whirlwind, I'm also testing the reply interface--which has suddenly changed in very confusing ways. Just trying to see if this reply will post at all...

Anyway, I have a ways to go before I can actually use the LC in balanced mode (that's the whole reason I ordered it). I also have to get a balanced cable for the Ori. That's proving to be a bit of an adventure:

-- the one I REALLY want (Danacable Lazuli) is crazy expensive--even more than the Ori itself, if they extremely useful Lazuil "pigtail" is also purchased).

-- and the one I can afford, and that may be pretty good all by itself, is the HPC noir copper from Forza Audio works. However, I haven't received a reply to my routine email to them (it has been 4 days), and that hardly inspires confidence. Then again, most of the small/independent cable vendors apparently are like this (slow to respond and/or ship) to some degree or other.

So I have a few pieces to fit together before hearing the Ori in balanced mode...

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #1,880 of 2,544
Besides trying to reply to this post from @whirlwind, I'm also testing the reply interface--which has suddenly changed in very confusing ways. Just trying to see if this reply will post at all...

Anyway, I have a ways to go before I can actually use the LC in balanced mode (that's the whole reason I ordered it). I also have to get a balanced cable for the Ori. That's proving to be a bit of an adventure:

-- the one I REALLY want (Danacable Lazuli) is crazy expensive--even more than the Ori itself, if they extremely useful Lazuil "pigtail" is also purchased).

-- and the one I can afford, and that may be pretty good all by itself, is the HPC noir copper from Forza Audio works. However, I haven't received a reply to my routine email to them (it has been 4 days), and that hardly inspires confidence. Then again, most of the small/independent cable vendors apparently are like this (slow to respond and/or ship) to some degree or other.

So I have a few pieces to fit together before hearing the Ori in balanced mode...

Have you looked at lavricables, Impact Audio or Peterek

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,881 of 2,544
   Have you looked at lavricables, Impact Audio or Peterek

I looked at all 3...also Danacables/Lazuli, French Silk, Black/Blue Dragon, many others (+ all the cables FS here on HF).

Ended up getting Forza AudioWorks HCP Noir (high-purity stranded copper) configured to my needs + a "pigtail" allowing 4-pin balanced male to interface w/TRS outputs on SE amps.

Difficult choice: money was one factor, but so was user feedback, hard to find in any detail for aftermarket cables. Anyway, that was my choice. I'll get it in another 3 weeks, then we'll see how it sounds.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,883 of 2,544
FYI, later this week my Burson Soloist amp/preamp will be F.S.

That matters because it's a killer amp for planars. Had no idea what this thing really could do 'til I plugged in my Ori.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #1,884 of 2,544

I found the LCD-X rather thin, boring and lacking dynamics.  On the other hand the Ori (Omni) is the exact opposite.

Hello mysticstryk :)
I asked you, is it worth the amount of $ 1,700 to upgrade to LCD-X?
The question is, I'll find a difference between ZMF Omni and the LCD-X, especially in terms of the most important they headphone: BASS and midrange and Soundstage?

*Sorry 4 m bad ENG*

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #1,885 of 2,544
  Hello mysticstryk :)
I asked you, is it worth the amount of $ 1,700 to upgrade to LCD-X?
The question is, I'll find a difference between ZMF Omni and the LCD-X, especially in terms of the most important they headphone: BASS and midrange and Soundstage?

*Sorry 4 m bad ENG*

Personally, I would say that the LCD-X is a downgrade compared to the Ori.  The LCD-X has less impact, wonky upper mids and lacking dynamics.  Soundstage is about equal, maybe a little better on LCD-X.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #1,886 of 2,544

Personally, I would say that the LCD-X is a downgrade compared to the Ori.  The LCD-X has less impact, wonky upper mids and lacking dynamics.  Soundstage is about equal, maybe a little better on LCD-X.

The Ori changed everything for me. It's hard to even think about other/new HPs when I have this impressive device...my other headphones are gathering dust.

Getting subtly different sound characteristics out of each headphone amp I try the Ori with. Haven't bothered messing with pads yet (will eventually). These headphones are far and away the best I've heard...the tuning is just about perfect.

Had some interest in Audeze HPs, especially LCD-3. But no more.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #1,888 of 2,544
My Ori's just moved into the "burn in" stage in production. Getting anxious now
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,890 of 2,544

You're in the home stretch now!

What wood did you order? Balanced or single-ended?

Ormosia Henryi. And going single-ended. Honestly haven't ever tried balanced. All I know is that I hope these things live up to the hype I've built up in my mind. Eh, just kidding there. Realistically, I'm hoping for something that compliments the couple of other wooden cupped cans I have, the TH-900's & the 610's. I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back