ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Feb 22, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,862 of 2,544
Ori vs amp update: finally listened to the Ori on the Burson Soloist (amp/preamp model that can do 4W output).

This amp is a beast. It drove the Ori w/real authority...never got the volume over 50-60% on the lowest of the 3 gain settings. Excellent bass & dynamics; good midrange nuances come through.

I briefly played w/the 2nd gain setting. It has perhaps a little more impact/dynamics (hard to tell w/o volume-matching).

I've now established that 3 of my 4 amps drive the Ori extremely well (the M Stage Matrix HPA-1, great little unit that it is, wasn't really up to it).

I'll [put the Soloist up F.S. in next 1-2 wks (the "too many amps" syndrome).

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #1,864 of 2,544
I have a pair currently in build, and have been browsing through the thread in anticipation. All this amp talk ahs me wondering if I need to step up a little from my Valhalla 2. I really hate to spend more than say $500 US on something. Now, I see the Oppo HA-1 on Amazon for close to that and am wondering if that would be an improvement or not enough to make a difference. I don't mind the thought of changing to a solid state amp for a change, it would give me some variety. So, any thoughts?

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,865 of 2,544
  I have a pair currently in build, and have been browsing through the thread in anticipation. All this amp talk ahs me wondering if I need to step up a little from my Valhalla 2. I really hate to spend more than say $500 US on something. Now, I see the Oppo HA-1 on Amazon for close to that and am wondering if that would be an improvement or not enough to make a difference. I don't mind the thought of changing to a solid state amp for a change, it would give me some variety. So, any thoughts?

Wait and see.  No sense putting the cart before the horse.  

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,866 of 2,544

The Valhalla 2 being an OTL with lower power output at low ohms wouldn't be the best pairing for the Ori. I wouldn't go with the ha-1 either though. For the Ori, something like a Jotunheim or Liquid Carbon would be better. Could even pick up an Asgard 2 if you want to keep it cheaper.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,867 of 2,544
The Valhalla 2 being an OTL with lower power output at low ohms wouldn't be the best pairing for the Ori. I wouldn't go with the ha-1 either though. For the Ori, something like a Jotunheim or Liquid Carbon would be better. Could even pick up an Asgard 2 if you want to keep it cheaper.

I feel like if I keep ordering amps from Schiit they're going to wonder What is wrong with that guy :) Realistically, it's more of a "me wanting to try something new" thing then an aversion to buying from them. From what I know of the HA-1, I didn't think it would be a jump in power. I also own a pair of LCD2's, and I know the Valhalla really isn't quite enough for them. I'll read up on the Liquid Carbon more.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,868 of 2,544

Wait and see.  No sense putting the cart before the horse.  

I agree. Try the Ori with your current gear first. It should still sound good and you may think it sounds like you want it. If not, then you will have a better idea of what to get due to having the baseline.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #1,869 of 2,544

I feel like if I keep ordering amps from Schiit they're going to wonder What is wrong with that guy :) Realistically, it's more of a "me wanting to try something new" thing then an aversion to buying from them. From what I know of the HA-1, I didn't think it would be a jump in power. I also own a pair of LCD2's, and I know the Valhalla really isn't quite enough for them. I'll read up on the Liquid Carbon more.

Can anyone comment further on the Liquid Carbon w/oOri as I also am interested in going balanced and don't want to spend more than $800 on an amp. BTW, is the Carbon still in production....I had heard it it was a limited run and prefer to buy new, may pull the trigger sooner if it's not being produced anymore.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,870 of 2,544
Can anyone comment further on the Liquid Carbon w/oOri as I also am interested in going balanced and don't want to spend more than $800 on an amp. BTW, is the Carbon still in production....I had heard it it was a limited run and prefer to buy new, may pull the trigger sooner if it's not being produced anymore.

Cavalli Audio's website still shows the Liquid Carbon 2.0 in stock. It isn't produced anymore, but they still apparently have left over units from the last production run. I have not heard it, but I remember very good comments about it and the Ori being paired together.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,872 of 2,544
Can often get units from the first run (which comes with lifetime transferable warranty) for around $500 in the used forum.

I would respectfully disagree with "often" in your sentence. I looked for ~6 months (literally everywhere), and the very few 1st or 2nd run units F.S. were usually $650+. At that price, I'd rather just buy a new unit (still F.S. on the Cavalli site).

I'm very interested in the LC as a balanced option for my Ori (& possibly future Atticus). I would've already bought one if not for slight concern about power not being enough. Various reviewers/posters here have said the LC sounds quite good with the Ori...

Power isn't everything, I'm finding. I have 1 HP amp that's literally 6X the power of the LC--and ~5X the power of my Lake People G109-A. It's a fascinating, high quality amp (Audio GD SA-31SE) but it doesn't sound 5X better than the G109-A. Just as important as raw power is design, construction, and "voicing" of the amp (ie, how designer intends it to sound, and with which target demographic headphone).

Still thinking hard about the LC. My other options are flat-out unobtainable, even used (Yulong A18); or crazy expensive, used or new (Violectric v281 w/all options).

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,873 of 2,544
I am thinking of the LC as maybe a portable amp for when I am away for a week at a time. I could run my QP1R through it to my Ori (smaller than Eikon or Atticus) headphones for portability. Right now I use a QP1R and JH Angie II, which is the ultimate portable.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #1,874 of 2,544

Music to My Ear, on the east coast, shows they have 3 in stock. 

http://musictomyear.com/index.php/products#!/Cavalli-Audio-Liquid-Carbon-2-0-Headphone-Amplifier/p/79284292/category=22488013

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #1,875 of 2,544
Just pulled the trigger on a new Liquid Carbon. I've read too many good things about this amp with the Omni/Ori not to...and I'm reasonably sure we're getting near the end of the line for new LCs.

Hoping that when I get this + a balanced cable (looking at Forza Noir HCP MkII), I'll hear even more wonderfulness from the Ori. That's basically what the Ori has been doing for me: I get new & different varieties of wonderful sound, depending on the amp used (all SE to this point).

Haven't even played around w/earpads yet. Currently it's Ori Lambskins; next I'll try Ori cowhide or possibly MrSpeakers Alpha Pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back