ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jan 21, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,831 of 2,544

I have an Omni/Ori on order, should arrive in 1-2 weeks. I'm dying to hear this thing. It's flat-out beautiful and many people praise it for sound qualities I prize highly. That's all I know.

What do you mean by "original lambskin pads"? I believe the lambskin Ori pads are the only "original" (ie, original for the Omni, pre-Ori namechange) pads that Zach sells.

I started out ordering the cowhide Omni/Ori pads w/the lambskin Omni/Ori's as my 2nd pr, but Zach told me these days Omni/Ori pads only come in lambskin, which he recommends as the best option. Re cowhide, that's only available in oval pads. So i'm getting lambskin Omni/Ori pads on the headphones w/a pair of oval cowhides on the side.

It's confusing as hell, but that's life.

Adding to the confusion, I have a pair of MrSpeakers lambskin angled pads I got a couple months ago. I believe they're very similar to ZMF's Omni/Ori pads in shape, design, depth, etc. But I'll find out. The MrSpeakers pads are just beautiful and comfortable beyond belief...I welcome any chance to use them again.

I threw some MrSpeakers pads onto my Vibro, they are not as nice as the ZMF pads. My Ori has the rounded lambskin pads (I just bought a new pair as the old ones were beat up) and it's absolutely wonderful. You will love it!

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #1,832 of 2,544

I have an Omni/Ori on order, should arrive in 1-2 weeks. I'm dying to hear this thing. It's flat-out beautiful and many people praise it for sound qualities I prize highly. That's all I know.

What do you mean by "original lambskin pads"? I believe the lambskin Ori pads are the only "original" (ie, original for the Omni, pre-Ori namechange) pads that Zach sells.

I started out ordering the cowhide Omni/Ori pads w/the lambskin Omni/Ori's as my 2nd pr, but Zach told me these days Omni/Ori pads only come in lambskin, which he recommends as the best option. Re cowhide, that's only available in oval pads. So i'm getting lambskin Omni/Ori pads on the headphones w/a pair of oval cowhides on the side.

It's confusing as hell, but that's life.

Adding to the confusion, I have a pair of MrSpeakers lambskin angled pads I got a couple months ago. I believe they're very similar to ZMF's Omni/Ori pads in shape, design, depth, etc. But I'll find out. The MrSpeakers pads are just beautiful and comfortable beyond belief...I welcome any chance to use them again.

The Omni originally had lambskin, cowhide, and protein pads available. You can see all of these available still on the ZMF oval pad page. My understanding is that there was a revision to the Omni lambskin pads which then became the official Omni/Ori pad. I've heard the oval lambskin and oval cowhide pads because they came with the Bocote Omni that I used to own. 

I do miss its sound and would really like to hear it on my current setup. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #1,833 of 2,544

To be fair I have boosted the bass in all my headphones to some extent, and I can understand that not being to some people's taste if they prefer dead flat sound.  For those who like an extra oomph to their presentation they seem to love the ZMF's.

I don't know if I've ever explained why I tune this way publicly, but the reason is that when I used to play more music, acoustic guitar and banjo (still do as much as I can).  And I wanted my headphones to sound the same way as it would to stand by a bunch of people playing instruments.  As I got more into making headphones I found that some coined this "stage monitor" tuning.  I can see why, as I think to those who have been around a lot of live instruments, it just seems more "realistic" to have that oomph in the low bass, because that's what it sounds and feels like to be around real instruments in close proximity.  It allows you an easier ability to "feel the wood" of an acoustic instrument rattle a little bit, and tuning the bass up below 125hz a little bit is the best I can do with headphones to re-enact this.

That being said, I totally understand that everyone has different tastes, and if needed I'll do my best to accommodate with a custom tuning!

Just reading this for the 1st time, 13 months after the fact--and it's amazing. Much is explained here about the "tuning" of audio gear.

I've been active in high end audio for many years (recently focusing on desktop audio & headphones). And I've been consistently (unhappily) surprised by how unnaturally bright & edgy much well reviewed audio equipment is. My objection is simple: besides the fact that "clinical/accurate" tuning hurts my ears, it doesn't sound anything like what I hear from live instruments in concert halls or big jazz band. There, the bass & lower midrange feel totally different than the upper midrange and treble. The low notes--especially from massed instruments like a cello section--hit you in the midsection. They light up your diaphragm & almost move your lungs a little...sounds that are felt AND heard. The treble, on the other hand, usually sounds "brilliant," shimmery, like it's dancing around your head--but w/little physical impact.

My first really big-time audio system had multiple tube amps, bi-amping, and 2 X 12" subs in each speaker column (Vandersteen 4's). The crossovers were 6 dB/octave, the gentlest slope possible (to preserve musical phase). Those shallow crossovers limit absolute dynamics & volume a bit, but they also reduce the "edgy," razor-sharp quality of many transients. That system made music sound & feel pretty close to the real thing. I relaxed and just heard music (vs "listening to equipment").

Now, with headphones, it's more challenging; they can't surround my body with impactful vibrations. So the tuning becomes ultra-important; the bass will ideally be a bit above flat, yet rich in quality/nuance while not bleeding into the midrange; and the treble will, if anything, be slightly below flat at the top (because high notes decay so quickly IRL). That's a difficult balancing act. I've only heard 1-2 headphones do it, but they're nowhere near the ambitious quality & design of the Omni/Ori.

I have an Ori on order...can't wait to hear them. And appreciate this "tuning" comment...in a very indirect, non-confrontational way, it makes the case for more "reality" in the sound of audio equipment.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #1,834 of 2,544

To be fair I have boosted the bass in all my headphones to some extent, and I can understand that not being to some people's taste if they prefer dead flat sound.  For those who like an extra oomph to their presentation they seem to love the ZMF's.

I don't know if I've ever explained why I tune this way publicly, but the reason is that when I used to play more music, acoustic guitar and banjo (still do as much as I can).  And I wanted my headphones to sound the same way as it would to stand by a bunch of people playing instruments.  As I got more into making headphones I found that some coined this "stage monitor" tuning.  I can see why, as I think to those who have been around a lot of live instruments, it just seems more "realistic" to have that oomph in the low bass, because that's what it sounds and feels like to be around real instruments in close proximity.  It allows you an easier ability to "feel the wood" of an acoustic instrument rattle a little bit, and tuning the bass up below 125hz a little bit is the best I can do with headphones to re-enact this.

That being said, I totally understand that everyone has different tastes, and if needed I'll do my best to accommodate with a custom tuning!

Just reading this for the 1st time, 13 months after the fact--and it's amazing. Much is explained here about the "tuning" of audio gear.

I've been active in high end audio for many years (recently focusing on desktop audio & headphones). And I've been consistently (unhappily) surprised by how unnaturally bright & edgy much well reviewed audio equipment is. My objection is simple: besides the fact that "clinical/accurate" tuning hurts my ears, it doesn't sound anything like what I hear from live instruments in concert halls or big jazz band. There, the bass & lower midrange feel totally different than the upper midrange and treble. The low notes--especially from massed instruments like a cello section--hit you in the midsection. They light up your diaphragm & almost move your lungs a little...sounds that are felt AND heard. The treble, on the other hand, usually sounds "brilliant," shimmery, like it's dancing around your head--but w/little physical impact.

My first really big-time audio system had multiple tube amps, bi-amping, and 2 X 12" subs in each speaker column (Vandersteen 4's). The crossovers were 6 dB/octave, the gentlest slope possible (to preserve musical phase). Those shallow crossovers limit absolute dynamics & volume a bit, but they also reduce the "edgy," razor-sharp quality of many transients. That system made music sound & feel pretty close to the real thing. I relaxed and just heard music (vs "listening to equipment").

Now, with headphones, it's more challenging; they can't surround my body with impactful vibrations. So the tuning becomes ultra-important; the bass will ideally be a bit above flat, yet rich in quality/nuance while not bleeding into the midrange; and the treble will, if anything, be slightly below flat at the top (because high notes decay so quickly IRL). That's a difficult balancing act. I've only heard 1-2 headphones do it, but they're nowhere near the ambitious quality & design of the Omni/Ori.

I have an Ori on order...can't wait to hear them. And appreciate this "tuning" comment...in a very indirect, non-confrontational way, it makes the case for more "reality" in the sound of audio equipment.

I have never considered myself a bass head at all. I agree with you Pharmaboy, that most headphones seen to be a tad bright on the top end, what many believe you must have to get great detail.

Once I got my Omni/Ori and heard how Zach had tuned them 
eek.gif
...holy cow, I feel in love with the sound ....don't you dare change that Zach
biggrin.gif

Great detail and not at all bright sounding, can listen to for hours with no hint of fatigue.  i steered away from planars for a long time because I thought they would be too damn heavy....not the case and I am so glad I gave them a try.

I now find myself reaching for my Omni/Ori as much or more than I have been reaching for my HD800....I listen to mostly blues music, all sorts of blues and these cans excel with that music.

I like these cans so much I am having another amp made that will suit these headphones better than my OTL, and i love the sound that they make with my OTL with the right tubes....currently listening with 5998 power tubes and C3g driver tubes.

I can't wait to hear your impressions Pharmaboy, once you have had time to listen....congrats on your purchase.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,837 of 2,544

I have never considered myself a bass head at all. I agree with you Pharmaboy, that most headphones seen to be a tad bright on the top end, what many believe you must have to get great detail.

Once I got my Omni/Ori and heard how Zach had tuned them 
eek.gif
...holy cow, I feel in love with the sound ....don't you dare change that Zach
biggrin.gif

Great detail and not at all bright sounding, can listen to for hours with no hint of fatigue.  i steered away from planars for a long time because I thought they would be too damn heavy....not the case and I am so glad I gave them a try.

I now find myself reaching for my Omni/Ori as much or more than I have been reaching for my HD800....I listen to mostly blues music, all sorts of blues and these cans excel with that music.

I like these cans so much I am having another amp made that will suit these headphones better than my OTL, and i love the sound that they make with my OTL with the right tubes....currently listening with 5998 power tubes and C3g driver tubes.

I can't wait to hear your impressions Pharmaboy, once you have had time to listen....congrats on your purchase.

Wow, good comments! It's very telling that you have "endgame" headphones that must be the complete inverse of the Ori in design, sonic tuning, and construction--the HD800's--yet obviously what the Ori can do.

I'm semi-freaking out just waiting for my Ori to arrive...

Even though a couple of my amps will probably drive the Ori quite well, I just seized a (somewhat rare) chance to buy a heavyweight, used SE amp that's been praised on Head-Fi: the Audio GD SA-31SE. With any luck it will arrive today. 10W @40 ohms (crazy power); more to the point, various user comments about its sound made me suspect it will be perfect for my other, more efficient HPs--and as a system preamp.

The Ori will be the first headphone I've ever used that can "scale up" to powerful amps--to any other upgrades in system component.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,838 of 2,544
I use the HD800 as my main headphone and if I hadn't run out of disposable income I'd have had an Omni months ago.  It's a wonderful complement to the HD800.  Now of course I have to consider if the Atticus might be a better choice one I can afford it.  :-D

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #1,839 of 2,544
  I use the HD800 as my main headphone and if I hadn't run out of disposable income I'd have had an Omni months ago.  It's a wonderful complement to the HD800.  Now of course I have to consider if the Atticus might be a better choice one I can afford it.  :-D

"What the Atticus sounds like" is kind of a haunting thought at this point. I'm pretty sure I'll like the Ori (it's arriving Sat...Zach's email said, "...They are very beautiful" !!). But when I 1st started jonesing for one, it was still called "Omni" and there was no "ZMF upgrade path." Now there is.

If enough people say enough really positive things about the Atticus, it'll be hard for me not to ultimately get one (and face the "spousal wrath").

Luckily, that's an extreme exaggeration. Still, these all headphones are real whoppers--big, beautiful, impossible-to-miss even for the non-headphone types.

"living dangerously"

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,840 of 2,544

"What the Atticus sounds like" is kind of a haunting thought at this point. I'm pretty sure I'll like the Ori (it's arriving Sat...Zach's email said, "...They are very beautiful" !!). But when I 1st started jonesing for one, it was still called "Omni" and there was no "ZMF upgrade path." Now there is.

If enough people say enough really positive things about the Atticus, it'll be hard for me not to ultimately get one (and face the "spousal wrath").

Luckily, that's an extreme exaggeration. Still, these all headphones are real whoppers--big, beautiful, impossible-to-miss even for the non-headphone types.

"living dangerously"

my next dynamic headphone will be the Atticus, but I have to tell you...it will take a hell of a good headphone to top the bass of the Ori.

I am hoping that the Atticus can just match it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,841 of 2,544
  my next dynamic headphone will be the Atticus, but I have to tell you...it will take a hell of a good headphone to top the bass of the Ori.

I am hoping that the Atticus can just match it.

Well said.

I've realized I'm not a "basshead" in the literal sense--I don't acquire headphones primarily because of bass capabilities; don't listen to EDM, rap, hip hop, other genres w/purposefully extreme synth bass-lines. Still, I totally love recorded bass, quality more than just quantity.

I'm crazy about bass notes from pretty much any instrument in live settings (string bass/jazz, electric bass, bass marimbas--maybe the best ever). The idea that a headphone like the Ori could do bass really really well and not be all messed up in other parts of the frequency range...it's an exciting thought.

By the way, I just got the Audio GD SA-31SE headphone amp, listened briefly when it wasn't even warmed up--and it already sounds like the best amp I've ever heard (more listening to come tonight). It's a very rare combination of relaxed, friendly, rich tonality with details, details, details...& way more spatial/ambience cues than I've heard anywhere apart from tube amps/preamps in living room systems.

It's going to be a fascinating to audition my new Oris on the SA-31SE as well as a couple other solid amps on hand.

A question to current Omni/Ori units (and I apologize that this inevitably repeats a question answered earlier here): how much, if any, burn-in is required and helpful with this planar design? I routinely burn in all new equipment ~150 hrs, but all my headphones are dynamic designs. I don't know anything about planars in this regard.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,843 of 2,544

Well said.

I've realized I'm not a "basshead" in the literal sense--I don't acquire headphones primarily because of bass capabilities; don't listen to EDM, rap, hip hop, other genres w/purposefully extreme synth bass-lines. Still, I totally love recorded bass, quality more than just quantity.

I'm crazy about bass notes from pretty much any instrument in live settings (string bass/jazz, electric bass, bass marimbas--maybe the best ever). The idea that a headphone like the Ori could do bass really really well and not be all messed up in other parts of the frequency range...it's an exciting thought.

By the way, I just got the Audio GD SA-31SE headphone amp, listened briefly when it wasn't even warmed up--and it already sounds like the best amp I've ever heard (more listening to come tonight). It's a very rare combination of relaxed, friendly, rich tonality with details, details, details...& way more spatial/ambience cues than I've heard anywhere apart from tube amps/preamps in living room systems.

It's going to be a fascinating to audition my new Oris on the SA-31SE as well as a couple other solid amps on hand.

A question to current Omni/Ori units (and I apologize that this inevitably repeats a question answered earlier here): how much, if any, burn-in is required and helpful with this planar design? I routinely burn in all new equipment ~150 hrs, but all my headphones are dynamic designs. I don't know anything about planars in this regard.

I started noticing improvements with my Ori around the 130h mark. Considering that I was driving it with the Mojo initially, with your more powerful amp it should be a little less as the energy dissipated by the driver increases
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,844 of 2,544

I started noticing improvements with my Ori around the 130h mark. Considering that I was driving it with the Mojo initially, with your more powerful amp it should be a little less as the energy dissipated by the driver increases
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks--this is very helpful.

I routinely burn in new headphones ~150 hrs w/a mix of music and pink noise/brownian noise via a Fiio E10K. That's not the amp I'd use for critical listening; in fact, it's probably not powerful enough to drive the Ori well. But all I want is to get the headphones up to medium volume (sometimes up to moderately loud), then keep them there during burn-in.

After that, it will be listening time: on the Audio GD SA-31SE; the Lake People G109-A; and the Burson Soloist (amp/preamp, the big one).

It's going to be interesting, no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back