ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jul 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #226 of 2,544
What you have is more than enough. Just curious that's all.

I still love the Shure 1540 pads.  They are the only other pad I would recommend for the Master model aside from the ZMF Pads.  Unfortunately they don't fit on the other ZMF's and would also change the sound sig too much compared to the ZMF pads.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #228 of 2,544
Oh, I forgot to mention, and I'll be going over all of this in the email that I'll be sending any day now to the tour peeps, but there's a set of each of the earpads in the case, but the ones on the headphone are cowhide pre-production, the only difference is the attachment ring is sturdier on the production model. 

Weirdly, I've actually been really enjoying the protein pads since they've arrived.  They have a dry matte feel to them that I love, and they've worked out great on my he-500 so far (as well as the ZMF's ofcourse.)  Anyways...!

A bit confused about the pads. Are these different from your new cow hide pads for the Blackwoods? First I've seen mentioned of protein leather (still don't really know what it is - artificial? man-made leather?).

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #229 of 2,544
A bit confused about the pads. Are these different from your new cow hide pads for the Blackwoods? First I've seen mentioned of protein leather (still don't really know what it is - artificial? man-made leather?).

Oh sorry!  I just meant that the Cowhide pad was one of the prototypes and had very slight changes to it before the Cowhide sets went into production.  There is only one cowhide pad used on all models.

I believe I sent a production set on tour as well, along with the other pads.  FYI - international tour set will go out later this month.

The Protein pad is made of the same soft "pleather/protein" that is used in the Pilot Pad.  There's a full description of each pad here:  http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-pads-pre-order-discount

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 15, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #231 of 2,544

Oh sorry!  I just meant that the Cowhide pad was one of the prototypes and had very slight changes to it before the Cowhide sets went into production.  There is only one cowhide pad used on all models.

I believe I sent a production set on tour as well, along with the other pads.  FYI - international tour set will go out later this month.

The Protein pad is made of the same soft "pleather/protein" that is used in the Pilot Pad.  There's a full description of each pad here:  http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-pads-pre-order-discount

Gotcha. I thought the Pilot Pad was real leather, but I didn't look that closely at it, and it makes sense to make it out of synthetic due to the velcro closure design. Wonder how well it'll stand up to my oily hair in the long run? The faux leather on my HD228s only lasts a couple of years, then I have to order a new set of pads. Luckily, the foam on the headband is covered in cloth so I just peeled it clean.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #232 of 2,544
Blackwood and Omni in the house.
phone pic

Seems as though my memory was a little off of the Blackwood.
I can try to compare them after some more time. So far it seems like having both wouldn't be ideal for me. It would be one or the other. Now I could picture having a Vibro along side either. It trips me out how the same driver can sound so different.

Lemme stop beatin around the .....I do like the Omni more.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #233 of 2,544
Mini Review- Omni vs Blackwood

Ramble: Firstly I think it s cool that these are out on tour. More impressions! I let a fellow head-fier listen to the Blackwood and he really enjoyed them. I then sold my pair for whatever reason I came up with...prob had to do with my new car or something. Well when it was gone I missed it. Few closed headphones sound as controlled and linear as the Blackwood. It had a little less bloom in the midrange (though its mids are very contoured and not recessedd) than I like but it is a very even handed, smooth, headphone that is enjoyable for hours. However, this time the Blackwood will not be missed if it leaves and the Omni takes its place. Some felt the Blackwood wasnt an upgrade to the Vibro even though it had better technicalities, well you cant say that about the Omni. I miss the Vibros lush mids and engaging sig but the Omni is almost...almost the best of both worlds.

It IMO is more linear than the 3f though not as detailed and midcentric. Also without the treble peak, and slight midrange dip of the X(though I may take the X given the choice) but similar in bass response(not quite there but almost).

VS Blackwood (no plugs)
Bass ■ Very close in quantity and quality with the Omni sounding a tad cleaner, a hint more in quantity, more visceral, and just as tight . There are some songs where you cannot tell which has more but then others where the Omni does have more and hits harder. I mistook the Omni before, it did fine with boosting on the occasional song where the rumble wasnt mixed strong enough. It's not basshead level but def has a sub bass presence that gives it a foundation like the Lcd X does, but the same can be said about the Blackwood. Bass detail/texture is very similar. It seems as though the Omni may be a little more linear but I can't make a sure call. Niether have the midbass hump that I am guilty of liking but that would prob turn off a lot of ppl any way. This makes for a smokther transition into the ...

Midrange ■ I think the mids of the Omni take the magic away from the Blackwood and sits inbetween it and the robust Vibro. The results are more airy voices with the Omni having more life in them. There were times when I felt the Blackwood had a more rounded and heavier male vocal but then after further listening my brain burned in to the more lifelike projection from the Omni. I may prefer a piano note or two on the ZB but thats about it. I became wowed with the right song and cant find the "wrong song" ( maybe classical which isnt my thing). There is much to say about the semi open design here that enables the mids to breathe and not feel stuffy. After more and more ABing it became more and more evident that the Blackwood sounded boxed-in in comparison. Almost as if the singers were in a shorter room. The balance is pretty even and kinda reminded me of the momentum 2 I heard in the store. I hear the ZO as having a little more upper mids than the ZB. The *Sony MDR Z7 mids are a bit more lower mid centered and lack the treble of the Omni to make a voice project also its midbass that lacks impact clouds up the mids but both can be called natural sounding. The Omni would be more lifelike.

Highs ■ The highs of the Omni are a smidge more than the Blackwood but less messy. The Blackwood will exhibit a little more distortion than the ZO. Especially when things get busy. This as well seems to do with there being a higher ceiling if you will, than the ZB or more air/space for the crashes and cymbals etc to do their thing. I do however turn it down after listening for a while. Its not painful but this headphone is a little more exciting all around and does fine at lower levels. When I put the ZB back on it sounds dull at the same volume and I turn it back up only to remember the Omni treble is better executed and less bothersome even though it is just a little more. The Blackwood is outclassed here too but has an intimate smokiness to it that may be missed. Its also not a huge win for the Omni but enough to count.

Headstage/Openness/Imaging/Detail ■ If you can't tell by now the ZO is DEFINITELY more open sounding. Both headphones have nice soundstages. The Omni has a bit more height, slightly better depth, similar width, slightly better imaging, and similar resolution. I was expecting the Omni to curb stomp the Blackwood but the Blackwood holds its ground. I disagreed when CNet said the Blackwood wasnt detailed, the Omni may make a better case simply because its more transparent, nuetral, and is a Semi Open headphone. The soundstage reminds me of a wider Z7 now, whereas the ZB is mostly wide the *Z7 and ZO have more dimensions. Z7 The least wide but most dimensional. (From memory)

Of note....Hopefully Zach will remember which pads are which because I am confused. When I received my Blackwood I changed the pads of the Omni to resemble what was shipped already on the ZB and those pads are less dramatic looking. They dont seem oversized at all. They look great!

Well thats how I hear it...Blackwood owners dont feel bad... the differences besides the openness aren't huge ..you got a great headphone....no need to have a better one lol.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #234 of 2,544
Jul 19, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #235 of 2,544
Mini Review- Omni vs Blackwood

Nice review!

How do you think the omni's fair against the he 560, he-6 and lcd x?

I used the 3f and X as a comparison for sound sig amd overall balance. But realistically to "FAIR" against them well ZMF would need to release an open back with a different driver, edit: only when comparing technicalities. The Omni has the best balance of all of them IMO but even so a 3F has so much detail(though the Omni is more accurate and linear). An he6 is to transparent and visceral, and he560 is extremely tight and fas, an lcd x is so textured and deep in soundstage and all of them can best any t50 driver in techs. The Omni does better than any closed back/semi open I have heard (yet to hear the prime and th900) but the mentioned will be just that next step above it I think.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #236 of 2,544
lol @ my mistake

damn you're making me having second thoughts of preordering the omnis and getting ready to sell my 560's

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #238 of 2,544
Blackwood Omnis are live! Er, at least one pair is. Got a little bit of listening in today. The cherry set wasn't around, but compared to the walnut they're fast and aggressive. I would say cherry=romantic, walnut=neutral, and blackwood=aggressive. The blackwood set kept the detail levels of the walnut that I previously mentioned, but the presentation has a little more "zing" to it. The tone quality and presentation is actually somewhat similar to my Sig Pros in some regards. The wood apparently has that effect as I also noted it with the original ZMF Blackwood.

I'm hoping I can borrow a pair in the near future so I can do a more thorough review. :)

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #239 of 2,544
Blackwood Omnis are live! Er, at least one pair is. Got a little bit of listening in today. The cherry set wasn't around, but compared to the walnut they're fast and aggressive. I would say cherry=romantic, walnut=neutral, and blackwood=aggressive. The blackwood set kept the detail levels of the walnut that I previously mentioned, but the presentation has a little more "zing" to it. The tone quality and presentation is actually somewhat similar to my Sig Pros in some regards. The wood apparently has that effect as I also noted it with the original ZMF Blackwood.

I'm hoping I can borrow a pair in the near future so I can do a more thorough review. :)

What define romantic? Warmth and closed in?

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #240 of 2,544
What define romantic? Warmth and closed in?

Warmth, and a full, resonant, appealing sound. Like listening to an orchestra playing in a great hall that was specifically built for acoustic music. Technically not as "correct" as a dry room that reveals everything, but a much better musical experience for simply listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back