ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Apr 18, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,921 of 2,544
How do these compare to the LCD-2?

The current LCD-2 is not that good imo. Lacks dynamics, sucked out upper mids, wonky treble, one note bass.

The Ori on the other hand has really good dynamics and a smooth, cohesive treble with pretty good mids. Bass is well textured and slams like a pre fazor LCD-2.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,922 of 2,544
The current LCD-2 is not that good imo. Lacks dynamics, sucked out upper mids, wonky treble, one note bass.

The Ori on the other hand has really good dynamics and a smooth, cohesive treble with pretty good mids. Bass is well textured and slams like a pre fazor LCD-2.

I've been mildly interested in the LCD-2 for awhile--but less & less. They just look uncomfortable & strange to me. True, looks aren't everything, but still.

Here's a mini-headphone comparison story. A comment upfront: I'm a bit wary of comparing big-$$ headphones, especially when I own 1 of them. A little worry that I'll bring on "buyer's remorse." 

Yesterday I got to hear ZMF's flagship, the Eikon (thanks to a local Head-Fi pal). They impressed me to no end. In fact, I've never heard anything quite like the Eikon--it's that ear-friendly, musical ZMF sound, but evolved into an endgame dynamic design w/rather amazing "technicalities." As I said to my friend, "I hear every penny of whatever you paid for these headphones."

After he left w/the Eikon, I quickly put on my Ori & listened to a couple tunes I'd just heard on this incredibly dynamic/present Eikon. Instant calm & relaxation. Nothing had changed at all--no buyer's remorse. The Ori sounds just perfect to me. To use an old audiophile metaphor for speakers, the Eikon is row 2 or 3, and the Ori is row 15 or 16 (the same music sounds a little different, depending on perspective).

Having heard the Ori & Eikon (which I'll hear more of soon, hopefully), I really have to audition the Atticus--the one I've been lusting after for months. The way that's described makes it sound just about ideal for my sonic tastes.

Then again, so is the Ori. These headphones really float my boat...

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,923 of 2,544

I've been mildly interested in the LCD-2 for awhile--but less & less. They just look uncomfortable & strange to me. True, looks aren't everything, but still.

Here's a mini-headphone comparison story. A comment upfront: I'm a bit wary of comparing big-$$ headphones, especially when I own 1 of them. A little worry that I'll bring on "buyer's remorse." 

Yesterday I got to hear ZMF's flagship, the Eikon (thanks to a local Head-Fi pal). They impressed me to no end. In fact, I've never heard anything quite like the Eikon--it's that ear-friendly, musical ZMF sound, but evolved into an endgame dynamic design w/rather amazing "technicalities." As I said to my friend, "I hear every penny of whatever you paid for these headphones."

After he left w/the Eikon, I quickly put on my Ori & listened to a couple tunes I'd just heard on this incredibly dynamic/present Eikon. Instant calm & relaxation. Nothing had changed at all--no buyer's remorse. The Ori sounds just perfect to me. To use an old audiophile metaphor for speakers, the Eikon is row 2 or 3, and the Ori is row 15 or 16 (the same music sounds a little different, depending on perspective).

Having heard the Ori & Eikon (which I'll hear more of soon, hopefully), I really have to audition the Atticus--the one I've been lusting after for months. The way that's described makes it sound just about ideal for my sonic tastes.

Then again, so is the Ori. These headphones really float my boat...

I hear you about the Atticus. If I do ever decide to go that route, those would be my target. Going simply by both the ZMF descriptions and reviews. Still waiting for my Oris. I guess they had a problem with one of the drivers and needed to either tweak it or install a different one. And just to add to the LDC2 stuff, I have a pair that I bought brand new several months ago, and I don't know that I'd call them impressive either. My Th900s? Impressive. Nighthawks, somewhat impressive. Ethers? Impressive for neutrality based listening. But the LCD2s are just kind of there? Hard to explain. If you ever watched the old Top Gear, when James May would describe a car as giving him the fizz. They don't really give me the fizz. They don't excite me. They're not bad, I just don't know that I would say they're worth what they cost.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #1,924 of 2,544

I hear you about the Atticus. If I do ever decide to go that route, those would be my target. Going simply by both the ZMF descriptions and reviews. Still waiting for my Oris. I guess they had a problem with one of the drivers and needed to either tweak it or install a different one. And just to add to the LDC2 stuff, I have a pair that I bought brand new several months ago, and I don't know that I'd call them impressive either. My Th900s? Impressive. Nighthawks, somewhat impressive. Ethers? Impressive for neutrality based listening. But the LCD2s are just kind of there? Hard to explain. If you ever watched the old Top Gear, when James May would describe a car as giving him the fizz. They don't really give me the fizz. They don't excite me. They're not bad, I just don't know that I would say they're worth what they cost.

"give me the fizz" (love it! never watched the show so never heard that)

I've read more several comments like yours about the LCD-2 (the newer iteration, anyway). The 3 is another story (it's also a lot more $$).

Back to ZMF-land: Clearly my Ori gives me major fizz; the Eikon does, too, but in a slightly different way (more drama/excitement). Can't wait to try the Atticus.

I think most of all what gives me the fizz is that "ZMF house sound," which works for me all day long.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,925 of 2,544

"give me the fizz" (love it! never watched the show so never heard that)

I've read more several comments like yours about the LCD-2 (the newer iteration, anyway). The 3 is another story (it's also a lot more $$).

Back to ZMF-land: Clearly my Ori gives me major fizz; the Eikon does, too, but in a slightly different way (more drama/excitement). Can't wait to try the Atticus.

I think most of all what gives me the fizz is that "ZMF house sound," which works for me all day long.

Yeah, the Ori does the same for me....what a wonderful sound and the bass is so addicting.

I have an HD800 and I love it....but I reach for the Ori every bit as much.

Atticus is in my future also.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,926 of 2,544

Forgot to say (about your Ori)--good luck & hope you get them very soon. What wood are yours?

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,927 of 2,544

Forgot to say (about your Ori)--good luck & hope you get them very soon. What wood are yours?

They are the same as yours wood wise. And I just checked my email and got good news. They're shipping and should be here by the end of Thursday.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,928 of 2,544

They are the same as yours wood wise. And I just checked my email and got good news. They're shipping and should be here by the end of Thursday.

Wow. Unless I have rocks in my head, you're gonna love those headphones. They're beautiful..and the sound totally matches the looks.

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #1,929 of 2,544

If you ever watched the old Top Gear, when James May would describe a car as giving him the fizz. They don't really give me the fizz. They don't excite me. They're not bad, I just don't know that I would say they're worth what they cost.

LOL!  I used the fizz line in my AEON review a few weeks back.

And yeah, I bought an LCD-2f based on reputation and sold them about a month later... they just weren't particularly interesting to me.  The older LCD-2... the one you can't get anymore... is a lot more interesting.  Either way, I much prefer the Omni to the LCD-2.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,931 of 2,544
Hey  Ori-owners! Just wanted to drop a little ZMF eye-candy here: Ltd. Ed. Zebrawood with midnight-blue sliders, so I got Lindsay at Impact Audio to make a teal/midnight blue cable for me to match! Sounding good out of the recently-for-sale Leeloo!

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #1,932 of 2,544
  Hey  Ori-owners! Just wanted to drop a little ZMF eye-candy here: Ltd. Ed. Zebrawood with midnight-blue sliders, so I got Lindsay at Impact Audio to make a teal/midnight blue cable for me to match! Sounding good out of the recently-for-sale Leeloo!

Beautiful JoeDoe.

Looks like a wonderful set-up

What a wonderful headphone this is...I reach for mine a lot.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #1,933 of 2,544

Very nice! Love the color of the earcups + the cable. "Audio jewelry" for real.

I'm crazy for my Ori (ormosia henryi)...the sound fits me like a glove.

Also (can we tawk?) I kind of have a thing for zebrawood: not only is it very pretty, but it's not as hard/dense & heavy as some of the other ZMF wood choices. So...I fantasize about an Atticus or Eikon in Zebrawood,* where hardness/density & weight are not good, and choice of wood matters much less than in the Ori.

* that would mess with my mind & my wallet

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #1,934 of 2,544
I really like liked thee look of the Coffee Zebra Ori special that Zach did last year. I would love to see a Coffee Zebra Eikon - if I could afford to buy it. I hope that I will when and if he ever does that combo.

J.P.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #1,935 of 2,544
I really like liked thee look of the Coffee Zebra Ori special that Zach did last year. I would love to see a Coffee Zebra Eikon - if I could afford to buy it. I hope that I will when and if he ever does that combo.

J.P.

That'd be hot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back