ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #6,736 of 7,501
So I am at Canjam and I found a Caldera with something they haven't done before on their headphones. I knew I had to grab it. Also grabbed a Gran Paladium Cable. It uses clear resin with gold flakes in it (see third pic for my attempt at showing them), with buckeye burl. Might be the prettiest Caldera I have seen.
IMG_9048.jpeg
IMG_9050.jpegIMG_9049.jpeg

I remember when I first saw these as raw cups. Something totally different and cool. I'm glad you dig them.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #6,737 of 7,501
So I am at Canjam and I found a Caldera with something they haven't done before on their headphones. I knew I had to grab it. Also grabbed a Gran Paladium Cable. It uses clear resin with gold flakes in it (see third pic for my attempt at showing them), with buckeye burl. Might be the prettiest Caldera I have seen.

Incredible looking pair - excited to see if more of this style pops up in future stabilized drops.

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #6,738 of 7,501
IMG_9048.jpeg
Beautiful Caldera Congrats

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #6,739 of 7,501
IMG_9048.jpeg
Congrats beautiful and truly unique pair!

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #6,740 of 7,501
I haven't listened to them yet. Probably will when I get home from Canjam. I also grabbed a unique purple Homage. Will send later once Canjam is done. Not been on Head fi due to well obvious.

If anybody is interested in a redwood Calderas I probably will be selling them to recoup. They are gorgeous too imo.

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #6,741 of 7,501
Could these headphones get even more beautiful?
Every time you think they can't Zach does some kinda crazy voodoo wizardry and raises the game yet again! lol

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #6,742 of 7,501
First time ZMF owner here - really enjoyed my time with Caldera at CanJam, so I pulled the trigger and got the Walnut. My first "flagship-level" purchase!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-10 at 20.59.02_4884ca8f.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-10 at 20.59.02_4884ca8f.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-10 at 20.59.03_03e12e56.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-10 at 20.59.03_03e12e56.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #6,743 of 7,501
First time ZMF owner here - really enjoyed my time with Caldera at CanJam, so I pulled the trigger and got the Walnut. My first "flagship-level" purchase!
It is a good headphone! If you find it too bright or too upper mid forward you can try the Mantle Mesh it helps. I am ordering one since I like it more with it.

Nice looking pair! There was a really nice buckeye Burl Caldera that was there to grab that someone must have grabbed.
IMG_9037.jpeg

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #6,744 of 7,501
Walnut is a fine wood for headphones. ZMF used it before. Pretty sure it was an option in their first TOTL design, the Omni, which short thereafter was renamed the Ori.

Hope you love the Caldera Open as much as I do (which is a LOT).

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #6,745 of 7,501
Walnut is a fine wood for headphones. ZMF used it before. Pretty sure it was an option in their first TOTL design, the Omni, which short thereafter was renamed the Ori.

Hope you love the Caldera Open as much as I do (which is a LOT).
As many of the resin/stabilised ones as I have the natural woods like Walnut are great. I love that many of them feel more like well wood than say resin ones. Also the natural grain on the regular wood ones are just 👌🏿.

Main reason I end up a lot of times with stabilised/resin ones is I like the colors. So much of the hobby is black maybe grey that having a bit of color is a nice contrast to that. Plus they also look gorgeous too.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #6,746 of 7,501
As many of the resin/stabilised ones as I have the natural woods like Walnut are great. I love that many of them feel more like well wood than say resin ones. Also the natural grain on the regular wood ones are just 👌🏿.

Main reason I end up a lot of times with stabilised/resin ones is I like the colors. So much of the hobby is black maybe grey that having a bit of color is a nice contrast to that. Plus they also look gorgeous too.
We're on the same page about wood vs stabilized. The stabilized earcups ZMF turns out are some of the prettiest things I've ever seen. I've seen stabilized wooden art pieces in museums that were larger, but not really better than some of ZMF's work.

But real, original wood, well stained & finished, is my thing. Years of woodworking went into forming that opinion; also seeing some of the great 19th & especially early 20th century furniture (mahogany, fumed oak, maple, ash) in various museums. Wood is just beautiful.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #6,747 of 7,501

I was very tempted to purchase a stabilized version but thought Walnut could be a first "starter" in ZMF for me. I loved the Atrium as well. Financials notwithstanding, I hope to own more pairs in the future.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #6,748 of 7,501
We're on the same page about wood vs stabilized. The stabilized earcups ZMF turns out are some of the prettiest things I've ever seen. I've seen stabilized wooden art pieces in museums that were larger, but not really better than some of ZMF's work.

But real, original wood, well stained & finished, is my thing. Years of woodworking went into forming that opinion; also seeing some of the great 19th & especially early 20th century furniture (mahogany, fumed oak, maple, ash) in various museums. Wood is just beautiful.

As a George Nakashima fan, I agree wholeheartedly.

The Resin and Stabilized models are sexy though.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #6,749 of 7,501

It was good to meet you there at CanJam @Pharmaboy! Sunday morning at the ZMF room is a nicer listening experience and was able to get more time on all their stations
I was very tempted to purchase a stabilized version but thought Walnut could be a first "starter" in ZMF. I loved the Atrium as well. Financials notwithstanding, I hope to own more pairs in the future.
You will so be careful. I already have more than I planned to and it is difficult to resist. Congrats on the Caldera!

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #6,750 of 7,501
Here is the Homage pictures I promised.

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back