ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #6,526 of 7,609
I disagree ...

Unfortunately, and I wish the opposite was true.

Auditory memory and being able to distinguish between the differences a cable can make is foolhardy at best unless the differences are massive. The weakest link will always win I'm afraid to say.

Its not a bad thing though is ti?

Some will need to accept that that choices and evaluations they make are based on the cable being seen as 'jewellery' rather than adding any significant improvement to their listening experience.

Just like in professional sports we always look for magical gains ... Sometimes those gains are hard to justify and sometimes they are not.
I can agree with you in one thing. Cables are like jewelry. But once you reach a degree of quality, any little improvement it is hard to justify or appreciate.
However maybe not by itself, but one little improvement over a little improvement, they start adding, and end up with a noticable improvement.
I'm one of those doomed individuals who hears differences between passive components like headphone cables, interconnect, and power cables. Rarely are the differences very large, but in audio, even small sonic differences that push the sound in the direction of my sonic tastes are meaningful to me.

I use the largest copper cable I could find (a gorgeous custom built cable that I promised the mfr I wouldn't publicize because he doesn't want to produce them) and it definitely makes a difference. The Caldera's sonic capabilities are, if not infinite, wider than pretty much any headphone I've ever encountered. It always has something extra "in the tank" if I exert myself to seek it out. And so it is with big copper cables, which make a difference.

The Caldera also fully validates my addiction to multiple headphone amps. Once I got started in this hobby 5-6 yrs ago, I always had more than a half dozen amps on hand, sometimes twice that (it's now 8 or 9). Well, the Caldera's resolution is such that it easily reveals to me exactly what differences there are between this and that amp. It easily, authoritatively reveals those differences. Tonight I'll compare the sound of the Wells Milo and Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2, two of my three favorite SS amps (the 3rd being the V281). The distinct personality of each amp comes through so clearly with the Caldera.

I give credit to ZMF for many things. One of them is delivering resolution to my treble-averse ears in a way that shows me how glorious high resolution can really be (when it's conjoined with musicality/musical verisimilitude).

All to say the Caldera has a gread deal of upside. It always seems to go higher when I give it a chance to ... one of the hallmarks of a true TOTL amp.
I am also quite sensitive to treable. And while I do not own super expensive gear, I have friends who does and I can confirm Caldera sounds different in most amps I plugged in.
Now rocking some nos tubes in the echo (cheapo amp) but I feel it's different with every tube.

Love the calderas <3 and love you all guys! I feel like ya are family ☺️

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #6,527 of 7,609
Quick thoughts on the cables: I believe, its the sensetivity of the headphone that matters.

Cables had the biggest impact for me on low sensetivity IEMs, something like FW 1960s, 1950s and Orpheus basically will make your IEM sound absolutely different for better or worse, its simply impossible not to hear the difference. Same goes for ribbon driver RAAL stuff the difference between cables can be huge there. Its definitly not a minor improvement / change, since often a wrong cable can completly break the tuning of your device.

When it comes to dynamic driver - I never could hear any meaningful difference to be honest, with planar its a different story, but its still a rather minor improvement, for Caldera with Bliss and May I usually prefer silver cable to add some sparkle and clarity to the treble and bit more definition to the bass. With ZMF Verite hybrid cable it sounds bit duller than pure silver Gladiator.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #6,528 of 7,609
Let's go now with the EMPYs...

IMG_0888.jpeg

I start with a footnote. Of the ones I own, the EMPYREANs are the most difficult headphones to adjust. And not because they are not comfortable with almost any adjustment, but because their "—those low mids a little bit "unbendable" or often even bleeding...— are minimized, not to say they disappear, with an adjustment.... to the millimeter. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but don't think I'm exaggerating too much. I imagine it has to do with the structure of Rinaro's hybrid controller. Obviously, the EMPY profile is what it is. But, after fine tuning, it is surprising the level of resolution or "clarity" they achieve... to the point that I don't know if they are necessary the ELITEs. Or if they are really an upgrade. In any case, this is my experience... and "conviction". It is true that the silver Meze cable helps. As do the alcantara pads... which are the ones that, in the end —and after some back and forth with leather, hybrid and angled pads— are the ones that best translate, in my opinion, the nuances, contrasts, timbres... of the music I usually listen to. But, be that as it may, the truth is that the EMPYs adjusted to the millimeter have "little" to do with the EMPYs that some critics put on the ropes out there. I say all this because if I hadn't come to this adjustment... I don't think I would have written what now follows. My listening was mainly conducted with the OOR + HYPSOS combo, but also with the EUFORIA, the DIABLO 2 and the ACRO.

Grosso modo —and maybe what I'm about to say may raise some eyebrows—, the CALDERA are more delicate, but less unwrapped than the EMPY. The CALDERAs present the music to you on a platter and with kid gloves —in fact, it's as if the notes were a feather that they drop...-, although that doesn't stop them from being able to hit the table when necessary. The EMPYs' punch is, however, more frontal, to the point that, sometimes, you'd like to hit back.... :wink:. CALDERA's use Japanese brush strokes. The EMPYs use Rembrandt's or Van Gogh's brush: the oil is more bodily (and maybe that's why the EMPYs invite you to look at the painting up close). The scene on the EMPYs is wider, even if it certainly does not reach the level of the HD800s. On the other hand, the CALDERAs offer a bit more depth. The timbre on the EMPYs is more dry, while the CALDERAs soften the end of the notes. I mean that timbrally the CALDERA like more, but perhaps the EMPY's are more realistic. If only by half a body.

Clues used - and yes, there's a little bit of everything: from PJ Harvey to Eleonora Bianchini to, obviously, the usual suspects.

PJ Harvey, Dress: here —there's a higher relief tip with the CALDERAs, albeit at the expense of width; all in all, here I might prefer the EMPYs: the Harvey sounds more tongue-in-cheek.

Carlo Gesualdo, Tristis est anima mea: here —the EMPYs control a bit better, to the point that the voices seem to come out of nowhere... as if out of nowhere.

Maude Gratton and Baptiste Lopez performing Beethoven with original instruments: here —the CALDERAs translate the acoustics of the room better (and this is almost always the case... whatever the headphones you contrast the CALDERAs with); however, with the EMPYs the performers sound like they've had a couple of coffees before (and this is not a recrimination: on the contrary).

Morphine, Honey white: here —with the CALDERA you are in the club; with the EMPY you listen to a recording.

Jerusalem Quartet, playing Bártok: here —the string scratches more with the EMPYs; the CALDERAs, on the other hand, have added a few doses of softener, although it doesn't bother either; in fact, it doesn't bother... what perhaps should "bother".

Rolf Lisveland to the baroque lute: here —the CALDERA, enchanting; the EMPY, truthful.

Fischer-Dieskau and Jörg Demus playing Carl Loewe: here —for voices perhaps prefer the CALDERA: these reach you better.

Joan Manén and his sonata di concerto with Guiillermo Pastrana and Daniel Blanch: here —the EMPYs are here more open, while the CALDERAs prefer a more intimate presentation... perhaps at the price of reducing the air between instruments.

Great Sibelius, by a conductor of stature, Santtu-Matias Rouvali: here —the EMPYs, simply majestic...(and you're in the amphitheater); with the CALDERAs, you listen through an old-timey radio, which is not, however, a demerit.

A Winterreise, by Jan Van Elsacker and Tom Beghin: here —with this recording I clearly prefer the CALDERAs to the EMPYs: better translation of the voice and the strange resonances of the pianoforte.

A pure bass by Nenad Vasilic: here —almost on par; perhaps the CALDERAs reveal the bass textures a bit better here. But wow...

And this liar never lies, Eleonora Bianchini with Enzo Pietropaoli: here —I think if I had heard this recording with the CALDERAs at the time I would have fallen in love with the Bianchini... :wink:

In short, something like a give and take. Depending on which recordings, especially those in which the voice is involved, I prefer the CALDERA —even if I delay them a little bit. Also, because of how it focuses the scene. But for the rest of the factors, maybe I'll go for the EMPYs adjusted to the millimeter.... :wink:. Maybe the impressions would be a bit different with the pads of the CALDERA's suede pads. I'll see how it goes tomorrow... But I would say that the shots, in general, go that way. At least, the ones that my revolver shoots.... :wink:

IMHO, obviously.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #6,529 of 7,609

I start with a footnote. Of the ones I own, the EMPYREANs are the most difficult headphones to adjust. And not because they are not comfortable with almost any adjustment, but because their "—those low mids a little bit "unbendable" or often even bleeding...— are minimized, not to say they disappear, with an adjustment.... to the millimeter. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but don't think I'm exaggerating too much. I imagine it has to do with the structure of Rinaro's hybrid controller. Obviously, the EMPY profile is what it is. But, after fine tuning, it is surprising the level of resolution or "clarity" they achieve... to the point that I don't know if they are necessary the ELITEs. Or if they are really an upgrade. In any case, this is my experience... and "conviction". It is true that the silver Meze cable helps. As do the alcantara pads... which are the ones that, in the end —and after some back and forth with leather, hybrid and angled pads— are the ones that best translate, in my opinion, the nuances, contrasts, timbres... of the music I usually listen to. But, be that as it may, the truth is that the EMPYs adjusted to the millimeter have "little" to do with the EMPYs that some critics put on the ropes out there. I say all this because if I hadn't come to this adjustment... I don't think I would have written what now follows. My listening was mainly conducted with the OOR + HYPSOS combo, but also with the EUFORIA, the DIABLO 2 and the ACRO.

Grosso modo —and maybe what I'm about to say may raise some eyebrows—, the CALDERA are more delicate, but less unwrapped than the EMPY. The CALDERAs present the music to you on a platter and with kid gloves —in fact, it's as if the notes were a feather that they drop...-, although that doesn't stop them from being able to hit the table when necessary. The EMPYs' punch is, however, more frontal, to the point that, sometimes, you'd like to hit back.... :wink:. CALDERA's use Japanese brush strokes. The EMPYs use Rembrandt's or Van Gogh's brush: the oil is more bodily (and maybe that's why the EMPYs invite you to look at the painting up close). The scene on the EMPYs is wider, even if it certainly does not reach the level of the HD800s. On the other hand, the CALDERAs offer a bit more depth. The timbre on the EMPYs is more dry, while the CALDERAs soften the end of the notes. I mean that timbrally the CALDERA like more, but perhaps the EMPY's are more realistic. If only by half a body.

Clues used - and yes, there's a little bit of everything: from PJ Harvey to Eleonora Bianchini to, obviously, the usual suspects.

PJ Harvey, Dress: here —there's a higher relief tip with the CALDERAs, albeit at the expense of width; all in all, here I might prefer the EMPYs: the Harvey sounds more tongue-in-cheek.

Carlo Gesualdo, Tristis est anima mea: here —the EMPYs control a bit better, to the point that the voices seem to come out of nowhere... as if out of nowhere.

Maude Gratton and Baptiste Lopez performing Beethoven with original instruments: here —the CALDERAs translate the acoustics of the room better (and this is almost always the case... whatever the headphones you contrast the CALDERAs with); however, with the EMPYs the performers sound like they've had a couple of coffees before (and this is not a recrimination: on the contrary).

Morphine, Honey white: here —with the CALDERA you are in the club; with the EMPY you listen to a recording.

Jerusalem Quartet, playing Bártok: here —the string scratches more with the EMPYs; the CALDERAs, on the other hand, have added a few doses of softener, although it doesn't bother either; in fact, it doesn't bother... what perhaps should "bother".

Rolf Lisveland to the baroque lute: here —the CALDERA, enchanting; the EMPY, truthful.

Fischer-Dieskau and Jörg Demus playing Carl Loewe: here —for voices perhaps prefer the CALDERA: these reach you better.

Joan Manén and his sonata di concerto with Guiillermo Pastrana and Daniel Blanch: here —the EMPYs are here more open, while the CALDERAs prefer a more intimate presentation... perhaps at the price of reducing the air between instruments.

Great Sibelius, by a conductor of stature, Santtu-Matias Rouvali: here —the EMPYs, simply majestic...(and you're in the amphitheater); with the CALDERAs, you listen through an old-timey radio, which is not, however, a demerit.

A Winterreise, by Jan Van Elsacker and Tom Beghin: here —with this recording I clearly prefer the CALDERAs to the EMPYs: better translation of the voice and the strange resonances of the pianoforte.

A pure bass by Nenad Vasilic: here —almost on par; perhaps the CALDERAs reveal the bass textures a bit better here. But wow...

And this liar never lies, Eleonora Bianchini with Enzo Pietropaoli: here —I think if I had heard this recording with the CALDERAs at the time I would have fallen in love with the Bianchini... :wink:

In short, something like a give and take. Depending on which recordings, especially those in which the voice is involved, I prefer the CALDERA —even if I delay them a little bit. Also, because of how it focuses the scene. But for the rest of the factors, maybe I'll go for the EMPYs adjusted to the millimeter.... :wink:. Maybe the impressions would be a bit different with the pads of the CALDERA's suede pads. I'll see how it goes tomorrow... But I would say that the shots, in general, go that way. At least, the ones that my revolver shoots.... :wink:

IMHO, obviously.
I used to own and love the Empy for years. IMO both the Elite and Caldera are a clear step up. (Even though the Empy can sound surprisingly good on some higher end gear.)
What do you mean by 'adjusted to the millimetre'?

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #6,530 of 7,609
Quick thoughts on the cables: I believe, its the sensetivity of the headphone that matters.

Cables had the biggest impact for me on low sensetivity IEMs, something like FW 1960s, 1950s and Orpheus basically will make your IEM sound absolutely different for better or worse, its simply impossible not to hear the difference. Same goes for ribbon driver RAAL stuff the difference between cables can be huge there. Its definitly not a minor improvement / change, since often a wrong cable can completly break the tuning of your device.

When it comes to dynamic driver - I never could hear any meaningful difference to be honest, with planar its a different story, but its still a rather minor improvement, for Caldera with Bliss and May I usually prefer silver cable to add some sparkle and clarity to the treble and bit more definition to the bass. With ZMF Verite hybrid cable it sounds bit duller than pure silver Gladiator.
Interesting observations---I too come from a TOTL IEM space and notice cables making more of a difference for IEMs rather than headphones. I currently have a demo of the Brise Audio SHIROGANE cable for the Susvara (lol, $3.8k MSRP) and while I hear a slight difference mainly in refinement, precision and intimacy, it is in no way more profound than what I would hear upgrading some stock cables to higher end PWA cables for IEMs such as Traillii, Jewel, etc.

If people don't hear the difference, all the merrier to them and their wallets! But I have had too many instances where audiophile friend(s)---multiple people---and I would listen exclusively to the same portable set-up, take notes, and then end up with the same exact listening impressions without any pre-sharing bias. I would even bring a couple of friends with relatively untrained ears to CanJams and have them share similar impressions after some cable swapping. To my ears and maybe psychoacoustically-manipulated brain, cables can help adjust the sound ever so slightly (and sometimes more meaningful) ways.

I will be checking out the Calderas at CanJam and if they are as musical as you guys say they are, I am hoping my DHC Complement C15 will pair well with them! At least for the aesthetics :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #6,531 of 7,609
Interesting observations---I too come from a TOTL IEM space and notice cables making more of a difference for IEMs rather than headphones. I currently have a demo of the Brise Audio SHIROGANE cable for the Susvara (lol, $3.8k MSRP) and while I hear a slight difference mainly in refinement, precision and intimacy, it is in no way more profound than what I would hear upgrading some stock cables to higher end PWA cables for IEMs such as Traillii, Jewel, etc.

If people don't hear the difference, all the merrier to them and their wallets! But I have had too many instances where audiophile friend(s)---multiple people---and I would listen exclusively to the same portable set-up, take notes, and then end up with the same exact listening impressions without any pre-sharing bias. I would even bring a couple of friends with relatively untrained ears to CanJams and have them share similar impressions after some cable swapping. To my ears and maybe psychoacoustically-manipulated brain, cables can help adjust the sound ever so slightly (and sometimes more meaningful) ways.

I will be checking out the Calderas at CanJam and if they are as musical as you guys say they are, I am hoping my DHC Complement C15 will pair well with them! At least for the aesthetics :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
You will be surprised and it may make you sell your Elite rather fast..

To your overservations, yeah absolutely, I would even go as far to say that an untrained listener will spot difference between good cables on an IEMs instantly.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #6,532 of 7,609

Please let us know your impression about Caldera. Also worth to try either suede or thick caldera pad to roll if possible.

from,
Caldera and Elite lover

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #6,533 of 7,609
Please let us know your impression about Caldera. Also worth to try either suede or thick caldera pad to roll if possible.

from,
Caldera and Elite lover
Curious, what are your usecases for Elite? For me its either Caldera or Susvara when I reach out for a planar. Really cant make myself use my Elite anymore since I have the Caldera.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #6,534 of 7,609
Curious, what are your usecases for Elite? For me its either Caldera or Susvara when I reach out for a planar. Really cant make myself use my Elite anymore since I have the Caldera.

Well I'm a bit at the opposite of your preference perhaps? I completely lost interest with Susvara after I acquired Caldera. I always something with more technicalities than Elite, but want to keep the natural and organic nature in sound. Before Caldera born, one of my contender was Susvara.

I like Elite for bigger soundstage image, more relax and sweeter notes than Caldera. For example a song like Chie Ayado - Let It Be sounds great on Caldera, but it sounds "divine" on Elite. This song only contain of a lead Singer, big choir on the back, and a Piano.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #6,535 of 7,609
I too love both the Elite and the Caldera, but after living with both headphones for a few months eventually sold the Elite as personally couldn't justify keeping both. I still think the Elites are fantastic, especially if someone is after a laid back and relaxed, smooth listen. But the organic physicality, weighty and impactful notes, speed and even more natural timbre made me lean towards the Caldera, despite the smaller soundstage in comparison.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #6,536 of 7,609
Sounds like I'll be dabbling with the exact same trio [Susvara, Caldera & Elites]. I love the technicalities of Susvara, that open, airy and ethereal sound, but I am craving a bit more emotiveness as it is just too unforgiving for a lot of my music. Elites are wonderfully pleasant and forgiving, but a bit too laid-back and undynamic after my demo with the Fei Wan IEM.

I do think Elites will be first to go as I know I can always scale the Susvaras up another notch with something like the WA23 Luna. And ironically, Elites did replace the LCD5s for me, which the Calderas seem to replace LCD5s for several others as well.

Will try out the different earpads as well, thanks for the rec!

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #6,537 of 7,609
I believe Susvara makes great use of good R2R dacs and more wet timbre of tubes or something like bliss. Was A/B Susvara and Elite the other day, really couldnt find a single reason to go with Elite, Susvara is just as "musical" if not more euphonic than Elite with rather laid back timbre on my chain, maintaining a lot of slam and weight to the notes. Being probably the most resolving headphone I heard yet, after Aperio.

Caldera is a different story though, the phyiscality and body and realistic texture of the instruments is next to noone.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #6,538 of 7,609
I believe Susvara makes great use of good R2R dacs and more wet timbre of tubes or something like bliss. Was A/B Susvara and Elite the other day, really couldnt find a single reason to go with Elite, Susvara is just as "musical" if not more euphonic than Elite with rather laid back timbre on my chain, maintaining a lot of slam and weight to the notes. Being probably the most resolving headphone I heard yet, after Aperio.

Caldera is a different story though, the phyiscality and body and realistic texture of the instruments is next to noone.
I guess our preference simply just different. My tube amp is rather a bit warm in character, with solid punch and energetic character (not slow/mellow). Susvara sounds great through it actually (after I compared to a lot of other amps), but still, not enough to make me choose it over Caldera/Elite.

Sounds like I'll be dabbling with the exact same trio [Susvara, Caldera & Elites]. I love the technicalities of Susvara, that open, airy and ethereal sound, but I am craving a bit more emotiveness as it is just too unforgiving for a lot of my music. Elites are wonderfully pleasant and forgiving, but a bit too laid-back and undynamic after my demo with the Fei Wan IEM.

Speaking of IEM, I used to owned Vision Ears Phonix, now using Fir Radon 6, and eyeing Canpur 622B. Fei Wan is such great iem in technicalities, but a bit hard for me to enjoy it, unless, I paired it with Aroma A100TB amp. The pairing sound so fast, lively, but also punch hard and full body from top to bottom. However I can't see myself bring DAP + Portable Amp as my on the go set up.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #6,539 of 7,609

I do think Elites will be first to go as I know I can always scale the Susvaras up another notch with something like the WA23 Luna. And ironically, Elites did replace the LCD5s for me, which the Calderas seem to replace LCD5s for several others as well.

Will try out the different earpads as well, thanks for the rec!
I would also pick the Elite over the LCD5, and the Caldera over both. Susvara is tricky, it really depends on the chain. If I had $20.000-$30.000 for a DAC and amp (dCS Bartók or Mola Mola Tambaqui with Trafomatic Primavera or Viva Egoista 845), maybe I would choose Susvara, but that is just silly money for me. From more regular chains (Ferrum and akin) I didn't find Susvara that impressive/engaging, but it is also hard to find real fault in them. I just really, really enjoy the weighty and organic presentation of the Caldera.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #6,540 of 7,609
Interesting observations---I too come from a TOTL IEM space and notice cables making more of a difference for IEMs rather than headphones.

No doubt. The relatively much lower impedance of IEMs makes the cable a more significant part of the chain in those setup.

To what extent that is something to optimize for headphones really depends on the specifics of one’s chain, the headphones, cable (and budget).

On the very extreme, using AIC10 with Susvara, a Chimera cable will have an audible imho impact (the extent to which one cares to invest in I make no comment about).

In between those two extreme low a world of higher impedance headphones and endless grades of cable materials and design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back