ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 20, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #6,496 of 7,114
Zach definitely should make more black & white ebony lol. They are just simply so artistic to look at.
One of the most beautiful wood options. Also, quite rare and expensive to get, plus not the easiest wood to work with. To me rarity adds to their uniqueness.

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #6,497 of 7,114
Zach definitely should make more black & white ebony lol. They are just simply so artistic to look at.

Caldera Closed Black & White ebony.

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #6,498 of 7,114
Caldera Closed Black & White ebony.
I'm trying to chill on buying headphones for a bit, but if I saw a Caldera Closed in Cocobolo burl, I would probably not be able to stop myself.

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #6,499 of 7,114
I'm trying to chill on buying headphones for a bit, but if I saw a Caldera Closed in Cocobolo burl, I would probably not be able to stop myself.

I'll eat ramen for a year if I have to.

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #6,500 of 7,114
Seriously, that might be my favorite wood now (after my shou-sugi-ban Ash, of course). Every single set I see in b&w ebony blows my mind.

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #6,501 of 7,114
Your gear listing takes up half a page
...and?

I get messages multiple times a week asking me questions or for advice based on what I have in my signature. You can just scroll on past. But for those not as experienced as you they may find it helpful. I'll take that over inconveniencing you to swipe just a little harder any day.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #6,502 of 7,114
...and?

I get messages multiple times a week asking me questions or for advice based on what I have in my signature. You can just scroll on past. But for those not as experienced as you they may find it helpful. I'll take that over inconveniencing you to swipe just a little harder any day.
Pretty sure he was just remarking on the irony of YOU pointing out how many GG stands Goldwerger has. All in good fun, we're all friends here. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #6,503 of 7,114
...and?

That is a valid point from your perspective, and I am honestly not too bothered for some extra scrolling.
On the other hand, most of us could create a similarly lengthy signature, but choose to list our present and past gear in the account details instead.
Just imagine the user experience if all of us put all our account details in the signature.
Don't take it as an offence, as I know how helpful you are to fellow Head-Fiers. As a compromise perhaps you could trim your signature down a bit, maybe putting all the tubes in the account details section and in the signature you could say 'tube lists on my account'. Just a thought.
I have also seen others using the 'spoiler' function to hide lengthy content for those not interested.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #6,504 of 7,114
...and?

You may not be aware of how many false hits I get doing searches about gear only to find my hit is your signature page. It's a big bummer.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #6,505 of 7,114
You may not be aware of how many false hits I get doing searches about gear only to find my hit is your signature page. It's a big bummer.
How are you searching?
The search function should only crawl post text and headlines

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #6,506 of 7,114
That's fine if you are searching within a particular thread, but a lot of searches I do could be in multiple threads, so I'll google, say "caldera vs. Susavara AND headfi.". That usually works pretty well, but when people list every piece of gear they have ever owned in their signature page (including gear they may not have owned in years) there are lots and lots of false hits.

Also, IMHO, having such a long signature page is kind of the headfi equivalent of driving a Hummer.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #6,507 of 7,114
I have to chime in here. I've never seen my signature returned as a hit (maybe because my signature is a short Delius quotation). But I often find my own posts here and on Audiogon among the hits when I google certain audio arcana that I've posted a lot about (passive volume controllers, powered monitors, class D amps).

Whenever it happens I'm a weird combo of horrified and titillated. I post a lot, and sometimes it comes back to haunt me.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #6,508 of 7,114
That's fine if you are searching within a particular thread, but a lot of searches I do could be in multiple threads, so I'll google, say "caldera vs. Susavara AND headfi.". That usually works pretty well, but when people list every piece of gear they have ever owned in their signature page (including gear they may not have owned in years) there are lots and lots of false hits.

Also, IMHO, having such a long signature page is kind of the headfi equivalent of driving a Hummer.

Ehh... I really enjoy reading everyone's signatures. I actually hate when they're hidden. It provides a lot of needed context to their posts... I even enjoy when people include what they used to own/sold. Very valuable.

The truth is, the search function on just about every internet board is absolutely horrendous, and you have to navigate around it to find useful results.. which I honestly hate but it just is what it is.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #6,509 of 7,114
Your gear listing takes up half a page
More than half if you’re on your phone. 😂

IMG_5952.png

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #6,510 of 7,114
I have a Feliks Euforia EVO and Chord Hugo 2 and have been painfully deliberating over the purchase of a Caldera. What I have read suggests that the EVO is not a good match for the Calera planer, I wrote to ZMF who also said its not a perfect pairing. I am not sure either that the Hugo 2 will provide the warm, weighty, punchy sound that I am looking for. Am I resigned to needing to purchase a new amp were I to buy the Caldera? I would probably be looking at at Violectric solid state amp but keen to hear of any suggestions as I am going round in circles on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back