ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #6,286 of 7,091
I have always wanted to do this in some of my cables. Today I did it on the Grand Silver palladium cable from zmf. Not like it was going to break. But I am....
IMG-20240124-WA0004.jpg

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #6,287 of 7,091
Been around a year since my first encounter with Caldera. The original Caldera pad always win my heart. However, in the last few days, out of nowhere, I enjoy Caldera Suede pad a lot that make me hard to switch back to leather. Sometimes life does weird thing indeed.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #6,288 of 7,091
Been around a year since my first encounter with Caldera. The original Caldera pad always win my heart. However, in the last few days, out of nowhere, I enjoy Caldera Suede pad a lot that make me hard to switch back to leather. Sometimes life does weird thing indeed.
That's what I like about pad / tube rolling. It's like trying a new bit of gear... creates enough of a difference that can save the wallet from further punishment. Well, once you have all the tubes and pads you want :o2smile:

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #6,289 of 7,091
I feel like I'm fairly set on the Caldera. I probably won't buy it until next year, so I have plenty of time to save up for it. When's the best time to buy one? Is ZMF November usually the best or would going to a Cam Jam be better?

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #6,290 of 7,091
I feel like I'm fairly set on the Caldera. I probably won't buy it until next year, so I have plenty of time to save up for it. When's the best time to buy one? Is ZMF November usually the best or would going to a Cam Jam be better?
"best" = most unique build or "best" = best value? Prices seem to be at CanJam, especially for Illinois residents as the tax rate is >10% for ZMF orders. Most unique builds seem to be the limited releases throughout the year. Or now is the best time, as you get to listen to it sooner.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #6,291 of 7,091
You're speaking my language... I waited a year to buy Caldera too. Try to go to a CanJam to see if there's one there that you love the look of. I believe ZMF always does CanJam special pricing at every CanJam (around $300 off). If you don't find "the ONE" at CanJam, ZMF November is always near the end of the year, and there's even more beautiful options there than at CanJam, and I for one always find more than one I would be happy buying.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #6,295 of 7,091
I’m about to pull trigger on Atrium Closed but i don’t want to see Caldera Closed next month so FOMO keeps my wallet safe. For now.
I believe those will be quite different beasts. Expecting more neutral presentation from Caldera Closed than Atriums, snappier, with bigger stage and planar level of detail, seperation, probably better mid bass but less sub bass than AC. Purely based on what I expect from how I perceive tuning of the current Caldera Open.

AC will sound more natural due to the dynamic driver, will be slower, and probably still argueably more fun due to insane levels of well controlled dynamic driver sub bass the thing got.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #6,296 of 7,091
Wrong thread. Sorry 😐

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #6,297 of 7,091
I'm super psyched for the new Lucifer album that comes out tomorrow. I heard like half the album, but not the full one. I think they will sound perhaps the best out of the Calderas. :metal:

tKXDor1.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #6,298 of 7,091
I too decided long ago that I would eventually get a Caldera, it was just a matter of waiting for the right one. I followed ZMF's releases & wood options until the perfect one popped up. Highly recommend doing the same - this is a marathon, not a sprint. A bit of patience may lead to a lifetime of satisfaction.

That said, November always brings a slew of special offerings, so unless you see a release that REALLY speaks to you before then, it's usually not a bad idea to wait for November.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #6,299 of 7,091
I too decided long ago that I would eventually get a Caldera, it was just a matter of waiting for the right one. I followed ZMF's releases & wood options until the perfect one popped up. Highly recommend doing the same - this is a marathon, not a sprint. A bit of patience may lead to a lifetime of satisfaction.

That said, November always brings a slew of special offerings, so unless you see a release that REALLY speaks to you before then, it's usually not a bad idea to wait for November.
This echoes my sentiment as well... although, if I'm being honest, I did see some really choice Calderas available for purchase at CanJam last year. It may be worth giving one of those a look if people plan on going to CanJam anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back