ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #6,196 of 7,609
Of course each Amp presents things their own way, but coming from the Gold Lions the WEs really gives the "live" feel. What really blew me away was string instruments and the feel of each string being plucked and the reverberations especially with the Caldera.

Of course the ambiance of the blue glow really puts you in the mood late at night :smile_phones:
Very cool to hear that - I think the feel of those instruments on the Caldera is what hits me so emotionally, so I think the WE's would be perfect. Congrats on yours!

Oh yeah... will have to listen later in the evening for sure to enjoy that blue glow!

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #6,197 of 7,609
Oh well, the calderas should get home today. Arrived today, but customs here in Spain has stabbed me well. 1k€ for vat+others.
Ok, I ordered the calderas with all the upgrades and the grand Silver palladium cable. But paying extra 1k... Holy nuts. It's last time I buy an expensive item from outside the eu. I am so sorry 😔..
Which sabotages a bit my plans for getting a new amp.
Was considering many but now I am left with the ferrum oor+hypsos stack or the Vio v550 pro. The Holo bliss comes from Asia if I'm not wrong, and the head-amp from us.
I also had in mind the Volot but seems that won't be available for months, also is from Ukraine.
Ideas between violectric v550pro vs ferrum stack? And specially synergies with calderas? I've got a r2r DAC Denafrips pontus ii that I enjoy a lot. Maybe that changes in the future. But right now the amp comes first. I currently own flux fa-12 and I love it with the LCD-X.

Some images of the Caldera's
For now I am not going to comment over sound as I am a bit in shock 😲.

IMG-20240115-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20240115-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20240115-WA0009.jpg

Thanks 🍻

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #6,198 of 7,609
Oh well, the calderas should get home today. Arrived today, but customs here in Spain has stabbed me well. 1k€ for vat+others.
Ok, I ordered the calderas with all the upgrades and the grand Silver palladium cable. But paying extra 1k... Holy nuts. It's last time I buy an expensive item from outside the eu. I am so sorry 😔..
Which sabotages a bit my plans for getting a new amp.
Was considering many but now I am left with the ferrum oor+hypsos stack or the Vio v550 pro. The Holo bliss comes from Asia if I'm not wrong, and the head-amp from us.
I also had in mind the Volot but seems that won't be available for months, also is from Ukraine.
Ideas between violectric v550pro vs ferrum stack? And specially synergies with calderas? I've got a r2r DAC Denafrips pontus ii that I enjoy a lot. Maybe that changes in the future. But right now the amp comes first. I currently own flux fa-12 and I love it with the LCD-X.

Some images of the Caldera's
For now I am not going to comment over sound as I am a bit in shock 😲.

IMG-20240115-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20240115-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20240115-WA0009.jpg
Thanks 🍻
Gorgeous!

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #6,199 of 7,609
Interesting, listening to Utopia I felt like Calders would significantly outresolve them. Maybe it’s just an „effect“ I was getting due the small stage of Utopia, not sure. Where Utopia shines are the crunchier guitars and tad bit more energy than Caldera imho
Utopia's thing is it rolls off the sub-bass and relaxes the lower treble so that the mids (where most of music lives) are really emphasized. Couple that with Focal's famously dynamic presentation and you get a presentation that really comes across as presenting every nuance "right in your face". Caldera's sub-bass is perfectly linear and its lower treble is a bit more pronounced, giving it a much more even presentation. Couple that with the way planars typically present sound in a way that is slightly "away from you" and you get a presentation that is better extended in both directions than Utopia, but not quite as accessible because you have to reach for the details. They're all there, though. That's what my ears hear, at least.

The TCs are simply the best pair of headphones for "modern" music. I don't give a fukc what a FR says, when you can't even measure this sh!t properly.
Modern/electronic music is largely what I got Caldera for, and while I think you are probably right that TC is the 'ultimate' headphone for this kind of music, I personally decided the form factor and difficulty to drive was just more bother than I wanted to deal with. I'm fairly confident Caldera is close enough with a lot less hassle.

In any case, just over a year ago Susvara (or TC) at $6k was the undisputed king of planars. Now we have Caldera, Empyrean 2, Diana MR, & Tungsten nipping at its heels at half the price or less. In any universe I'd call that progress.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #6,200 of 7,609
Anyone can show close look how thick pads look on their caldera?

I put mine today and they look a bit tight.
The part of the leather that fits in between the carbon fiber and the wood seem too large but tight. Not same feet as standard.

Thanks in advance

Is it like this how it looks for you?
IMG_20240116_151641.jpg

IMG_20240116_151656.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #6,201 of 7,609

The part of the leather that fits in between the carbon fiber and the wood seem too large but tight. Not same feet as standard.

Thanks in advance

This is pretty much normal I think, it should settle with some use, when the leather losens, had something similar with new Atrium pads. The pads shapes vary highly to be honest, sometimes two pads from one pair dont look nearly the same. I believe its due to materials being pressed together during shipping or just unfortunately a rather mid QC standard - in the end this doesnt seem to affect the sound.
Here are my Caldera thick: you can clearly see both pads are different thickness
1705417355553.png

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #6,202 of 7,609
This is pretty much normal I think, it should settle with some use, when the leather losens, had something similar with new Atrium pads. The pads shapes vary highly to be honest, sometimes two pads from one pair dont look nearly the same. I believe its due to materials being pressed together during shipping or just unfortunately a rather mid QC standard - in the end this doesnt seem to affect the sound.
Here are my Caldera thick: you can clearly see both pads are different thickness 1705417355553.png
Hey thanks for the response.
I am not concerned about the sound. not even the thickness.
Just wanted to mention the extra leather that holds the pad to the driver. Seems bending over and twisted. Although they're in place between the carbon fiber protection in front of the driver and the wood. Basically same as stock. But stock looked like perfect fit.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #6,203 of 7,609

Thanks in advance

Sometimes you can get a bit of "loose skin." It shouldn't affect the sound. But that does look very weird though. I'd try to reapply them and do a back and forth motion to make sure the leather fits correctly. It looks like it isn't inserted all the way between the baffle (at the bottom R cup). Otherwise definitely contact ZMF support, in case you have a Frankenstein pair of pads.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #6,205 of 7,609

Thanks in advance

IMG_20240116_151641.jpg

IMG_20240116_151656.jpg
This is normal. The carbon fiber driver housing is actually thinner and maybe has a tad larger diameter than the wooden versions on all other ZMF headphones. That thinner sharper lip tends to protrude a little depending how the pad is oriented. Inconsistencies in the pad manufacturing can also make this more or less noticeable. Nothing to worry about.

You’ve got yourself a beautiful set there. Enjoy!

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #6,206 of 7,609
All the pads are sonically matched to the headphones they come with. So regardless of minor variance because of natural vegetarian tan materials and hand stitching, it's best to stick with the pads that come together in sets, or with the headphone.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #6,207 of 7,609
Sometimes you can get a bit of "loose skin." It shouldn't affect the sound. But that does look very weird though. I'd try to reapply them and do a back and forth motion to make sure the leather fits correctly. It looks like it isn't inserted all the way between the baffle (at the bottom R cup). Otherwise definitely contact ZMF support, in case you have a Frankenstein pair of pads.
Well, I will try to remove and put them again, to see if anything changes.
This is normal. The carbon fiber driver housing is actually thinner and maybe has a tad larger diameter than the wooden versions on all other ZMF headphones. That thinner sharper lip tends to protrude a little depending how the pad is oriented. Inconsistencies in the pad manufacturing can also make this more or less noticeable. Nothing to worry about.

You’ve got yourself a beautiful set there. Enjoy!
I also believe it's normal, the truth is there is not so much space in between the housing and the carbon fiber plate for all that extra leather to fit in.
All the pads are sonically matched to the headphones they come with. So regardless of minor variance because of natural vegetarian tan materials and hand stitching, it's best to stick with the pads that come together in sets, or with the headphone.
I understand, in fact I'm using the thick pads that came in the zmf box. Nothing else. The sound is fantastic, no matter how that tiny detail of the leather looks. It's more a question rather than a complain, referring to how other people's caldera look with the thick pads on.
The stock pads that came pre installed in the headphones looked better, with a better fit. Like a glove. It's the thick that look a bit weird. I oriented them same way as the stock. And even moved them around a little bit. But I guess nothing to complain.

Regardless of that, first impressions are very positive.
I really don't understand how some people (and I respect it nevertheless) say bass isn't enough in caldera.
Mids and vocals sounds fantastic, same as guitars and acoustics.
Treable was a little bit spicy first few hours, but it started settle down and it's more and more on point. Specially since I put on the thick pads. Although I've the feeling stock pads have more bass slam.
Anyway, early to judge, but very happy overall. Specially with the little weight with the magnesium.
I am also starting to understand the importance of the breathing in the wood housing. It's clear why Caldera's are top of the line.

Thank you everyone

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #6,208 of 7,609
Well, I will try to remove and put them again, to see if anything changes.

I also believe it's normal, the truth is there is not so much space in between the housing and the carbon fiber plate for all that extra leather to fit in.

I understand, in fact I'm using the thick pads that came in the zmf box. Nothing else. The sound is fantastic, no matter how that tiny detail of the leather looks. It's more a question rather than a complain, referring to how other people's caldera look with the thick pads on.
The stock pads that came pre installed in the headphones looked better, with a better fit. Like a glove. It's the thick that look a bit weird. I oriented them same way as the stock. And even moved them around a little bit. But I guess nothing to complain.

Regardless of that, first impressions are very positive.
I really don't understand how some people (and I respect it nevertheless) say bass isn't enough in caldera.
Mids and vocals sounds fantastic, same as guitars and acoustics.
Treable was a little bit spicy first few hours, but it started settle down and it's more and more on point. Specially since I put on the thick pads. Although I've the feeling stock pads have more bass slam.
Anyway, early to judge, but very happy overall. Specially with the little weight with the magnesium.
I am also starting to understand the importance of the breathing in the wood housing. It's clear why Caldera's are top of the line.

Thank you everyone
I just noticed and laughed so hard at your signature. I can relate a bit though. :darthsmile:

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #6,209 of 7,609
I've decided to give the Caldera a second shot.
Hoping that my current chain will serve it better than my last.

Maybe this time I will have that "ah hah" moment.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #6,210 of 7,609
I just can't tell you how happy I am with Caldera. I thought long and hard about my "endgame" planar, to complement Utopia. I had reservations about Caldera, because it wasn't the proverbial Susvara or 1266 TC "top of the line", but a couple of months in to my time with Caldera I am confident I landed on the right one for me. In my headphone journey I've found one headphone after another that was "perfect", then eventually found something so much better that it completely supplanted what came before it. Caldera doesn't supplant Utopia at all, but it perfectly complements it. Where Utopia falls short, Caldera gets tens across the board, and vice versa. When I'm listening to some song or another, sometimes I'll think "this would be better on Utopia" or "this would be better on Caldera", but gun to my head if I had to choose one of them over the other forever I could not do it. I can't pay Zach any higher compliment than that. Well done, sir. :L3000:🤘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back