ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #6,046 of 7,507
So I just tried the setting for the Caldera Suede and to my surprise, I like it more than stock. It opens up the sound more with airier highs, clearer mids, and snappier bass while still keeping all the texture. It’s quite impressive. Location of instruments is very precise. It does all this while still keeping what I love about the suede pads, euphoric mids. I tested it on all the tracks the Expanse and Caldera stock pads with ASR EQ gave me trouble. They all passed and sounded better than stock suede. I still like stock sound but think I’m keeping this EQ for now.

Here’s that link:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/Kuulokenurkka/over-ear/ZMF Caldera (suede earpads)

Edit: so I remembered not liking new Foo Fighters new album on suede pads as much as stock. So even with this EQ setting on suede, stock pads and stock sound is better. I haven’t loaded up the stock pads EQ settings to see how those sound. But it is interesting the EQ suede come closer to stock pads in the highs now. It’s just they still don’t hit as hard in the bass. Stock pads just hit harder with tighter bass.
So when I tried the EQ for the stock pads I prefer Zach’s stock sound. The bass has more oomph and the vocals are just right. The EQ doesn’t seem to add anything but make it’s slightly less warm and thinner sounding. I think the EQ may work better for the suede since that’s not how the Caldera was tuned, so might balance it out a bit. Next up, trying the thick pads with their EQ. I always felt mids were too recessed for my taste but liked the layer effect sometimes.

Edit: got the thick pads EQd and it does bring up the mids but it’s almost too sharp. So after all this I find I prefer the stock pads with stock sound. And the EQ for suede is better than stock but would need extended listening to confirm. And thick with stock is too recessed in mids but too sharp with EQ. So thick pads are not for me.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #6,048 of 7,507
My first post on Headfi! Caldera with the Grand silver palladium cable is simply outstanding.
Congrats and welcome! Lovely combo, I've been flattered how much people like the Palladium wire.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #6,049 of 7,507
Congrats and welcome! Lovely combo, I've been flattered how much people like the Palladium wire.
Thanks! You’ve made an amazing, amazing cable. And not just with the Caldera, even with the Verite Open it’s fantastic. Even my wife who is not into this hobby could clearly notice a significant improvement and she asked if the cable is making music!

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #6,050 of 7,507
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #6,052 of 7,507
im resisting the urge to get another caldera for collection purposes haha

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #6,053 of 7,507
More thoughts I've had the last couple days on why I prefer the WA-23 over the Envy....:

After watching @GoldenOne review of the WA-23 and also reading @Torq impressions of the N8 (single ended) vs N8ii (balanced), a light bulb went off for me: the two tube amps that I prefer out of the three I have are the WA-23 and the WA8. Both are single ended, which apparently, as I'm learning, means more 2nd order harmonics. The Envy is balanced, which means those 2nd order harmonics are less, or maybe even cancelled out. I don't quite know enough to know the exactness of this, but it was fascinating reading these things because it clicked with what I've been hearing and absolutely loving - the WA8 and the WA-23 both have something sonically so right sounding to my ears. I actually enjoy listening on both (yes, I prefer the $1900 WA8 over the $8000 Envy!) over the Envy. Envy is amazing in other categories, but the drawback is that it just doesn't have the timbral pull that the other two do, ultimately leading me to not want to listen as long. Just interesting. Both these Woo amps really sound fantastic on all my headphones (ok, Susvara aside - WA8 is not enough power), but I'm convinced they're particularly a great match with ZMF headphones like the Caldera because of how great it is technically and timbrally. I remember going to a seminar with Justin from Ampsandsound and him saying something close to "we like tubes because the sound is closer to the sounds found in nature" and I think this applies here - single ended 2nd order harmonic tube sound with ZMF headphones is a great match.

Pretty cool. Up next, late night musings on the meaning of life... haha!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #6,055 of 7,507
My first post on Headfi! Caldera with the Grand silver palladium cable is simply outstanding.

Welcome!

You started at the top, way to go 👏👍😁

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #6,056 of 7,507
More thoughts I've had the last couple days on why I prefer the WA-23 over the Envy....:

After watching @GoldenOne review of the WA-23 and also reading @Torq impressions of the N8 (single ended) vs N8ii (balanced), a light bulb went off for me: the two tube amps that I prefer out of the three I have are the WA-23 and the WA8. Both are single ended, which apparently, as I'm learning, means more 2nd order harmonics. The Envy is balanced, which means those 2nd order harmonics are less, or maybe even cancelled out. I don't quite know enough to know the exactness of this, but it was fascinating reading these things because it clicked with what I've been hearing and absolutely loving - the WA8 and the WA-23 both have something sonically so right sounding to my ears. I actually enjoy listening on both (yes, I prefer the $1900 WA8 over the $8000 Envy!) over the Envy. Envy is amazing in other categories, but the drawback is that it just doesn't have the timbral pull that the other two do, ultimately leading me to not want to listen as long. Just interesting. Both these Woo amps really sound fantastic on all my headphones (ok, Susvara aside - WA8 is not enough power), but I'm convinced they're particularly a great match with ZMF headphones like the Caldera because of how great it is technically and timbrally. I remember going to a seminar with Justin from Ampsandsound and him saying something close to "we like tubes because the sound is closer to the sounds found in nature" and I think this applies here - single ended 2nd order harmonic tube sound with ZMF headphones is a great match.

Pretty cool. Up next, late night musings on the meaning of life... haha!

Single ended topology = harmonic bliss ❤️

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #6,057 of 7,507
Also new to head-fi, but thanks goldwerger for pointing me to the Caldera thread. Already, posted some pics to the November thread but here's one more.

WqDuvHs.jpg

Got them in today and in the process of burning them in. First impressions they sound amazing. A tad bright on the occasional female vocal track. I also got the thick pads and mesh and might try that if mind burn in ends up being insufficient. Definitely not something I'm worried about though. Can definitely say they sound amazing on tubes!!!

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #6,058 of 7,507
Also new to head-fi, but thanks goldwerger for pointing me to the Caldera thread. Already, posted some pics to the November thread but here's one more.

WqDuvHs.jpg

Got them in today and in the process of burning them in. First impressions they sound amazing. A tad bright on the occasional female vocal track. I also got the thick pads and mesh and might try that if mind burn in ends up being insufficient. Definitely not something I'm worried about though. Can definitely say they sound amazing on tubes!!!

I think you got the perfect course of action here.

that aside - wow, these are gorgeous!!! congrats!

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #6,059 of 7,507

WqDuvHs.jpg

Lovely! What tube amp are you running them off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back