ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 25, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #6,077 of 7,609
I wouldn't like to do this, as it's a copy paste from chatgpt and anybody can do. But it's well explained and I consider it's informative. If it's redundant or in some way out of the scope of the topic, feel free to delete.

Me: In the audiophile world is said copper sounds warmer than silver, which sounds brighter. I want to understand in a scientific way why that happens.

ChatGPT: The perception that copper sounds warmer and silver sounds brighter in the audiophile world is often attributed to the electrical conductivity and material properties of these metals.

Copper generally has a lower electrical conductivity compared to silver. As a result, it can exhibit a slightly higher resistance, causing a subtle damping effect on the audio signal. This damping may contribute to a perception of warmth in the sound. Additionally, copper tends to have a smoother high-frequency roll-off, further enhancing the warm character.

On the other hand, silver's higher conductivity may allow for better transmission of high-frequency signals. This can contribute to a perception of brightness, as the material may deliver a more detailed and extended representation of the high-frequency range.

It's essential to note that these characteristics are subtle, and individual preferences in audio perception can vary widely. The impact of cables on sound quality is a topic of debate in the audiophile community, with some arguing that the differences are negligible. The scientific understanding of these nuances is complex and doesn't always align with subjective perceptions in the realm of audio.

Me: How can a damping effect exhibit a warmer sound? Explain that scientifically

ChatGPT: The perception of a warmer sound due to damping effects in materials involves a combination of factors related to the electrical properties of the conductor and the interaction with the audio signal.

1. **Resistance and Damping:**
- Copper, with its slightly higher electrical resistance compared to silver, can introduce a damping effect on the audio signal as it passes through the conductor.
- This damping effect can be likened to a reduction in the amplitude of certain frequency components of the signal, particularly in the high-frequency range.

2. **Frequency Response:**
- The damping effect, particularly in the high frequencies, alters the frequency response of the audio signal transmitted through the cable.
- The human ear perceives a reduction in high-frequency content as a warmer sound, as higher frequencies are often associated with brightness and sharpness.

3. **Subjective Perception:**
- The perception of warmth in audio is subjective and can be influenced by various factors, including individual preferences, listening environment, and the characteristics of the audio source.

In summary, the damping effect, which attenuates certain high-frequency components of the audio signal, contributes to the perception of warmth. The subjective nature of sound perception, combined with the intricate interplay of electrical properties, makes the scientific explanation complex and not universally agreed upon in the audiophile community. It's important to recognize that these effects are often subtle and can vary among listeners.

Hope it doesn't bother anybody. Just trying to help.
Think wavetheroy did make a series on his channel trying to explain why cable can make differences and him being a physics prof does help with the explaining part and a bit of credibility to his methods :p
Otherwise things like skin effects and capacity differences of cables I won't say the effects don't exist but are so low within the frequencies and voltage of our hobby that paying for cables that address those issues isn't really worth the money imo

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #6,078 of 7,609
Cables always make for heated discussions (one of our hobby’s perennial “trigger” topics 😉)

My experience has been that cables matter but one has to get the other parts of the chain to be great first. Personally, I invest in cables in this order of impact: power cables, interconnect, and final headphones.

Now we’ve gotten really off topic. So let me get back to the Caldera 🙏😊

I’m listening this morning to the Caldera with the AIC10 (breathtaking) and this track is just wonderful. So many nuances, truly tests a system’s resolution and tonal balance, and such a joy to listen to this recording.

Merry Christmas!

IMG_8399.jpeg

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #6,079 of 7,609
Thank you, ZMF for these beautiful cans! I was expecting a break-in period like many have posted. To my ears, the Caldera sounds fantastic upon the first few listens. Dynamic, punchy, natural decay and smooth/weighty bass layering.

Also, I had no idea they would arrive ON Christmas Eve - awesome experience with ZMF.

Attachments

• 20231225_101444.jpg
    20231225_101444.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231225_101352.jpg
    20231225_101352.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #6,080 of 7,609
Merry Christmas everyone!

Here is my Playlist for late night listening with Caldera. Sakura by Lana, recorded at 2004. Japanese female singer who was born in Switzerland and used to sing blues on the street. Owned this album sing long time ago, and I always back to pick her album again every time I want listen something "peaceful" for my mind.
toct-25391_oje_extralarge.png

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #6,082 of 7,609
Here’s a couple of photos of my Purple Stabilized Maple Burl Caldera to get things back on track.

Merry Christmas everyone!

IMG_4344.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #6,083 of 7,609
Really debating picking this up even though I just got my Nairn Caldera
DecemberDrop_StabilizedShopify12_900x.jpg

Redemption for the landfalls

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #6,084 of 7,609
Just give a try to Blind Guardian-And Then There Was Silence the 14 min. song with Caldera.
Even with Mojo 2, I hear extraordinary layering. I wonder what big guns will reveal!

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #6,085 of 7,609
Been digging these EQ settings with the suede pads. Going to try the same with the thick and stock cowhides soon. For me, it gives it a tad more sparkle in the mid and highs with proper rumble down low without muddying anything up - compared to stock, again, for me, with EQ the Calderas sound less "dry". Going to do a bit more fine tuning over the next week to decide on a pad. I don't like having too many options, lol.

Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 63 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 0.68
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1535 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3780 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 6.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6380 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 7.0

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #6,086 of 7,609
Been digging these EQ settings with the suede pads. Going to try the same with the thick and stock cowhides soon. For me, it gives it a tad more sparkle in the mid and highs with proper rumble down low without muddying anything up - compared to stock, again, for me, with EQ the Calderas sound less "dry". Going to do a bit more fine tuning over the next week to decide on a pad. I don't like having too many options, lol.

Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 63 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 0.68
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1535 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3780 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 6.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6380 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 7.0
Did you give this 10 band EQ setting a try?

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...kenurkka/over-ear/ZMF Caldera (suede earpads)

I really enjoyed EQ on the suede pads, more sparkle and airy presentation. I tried their EQ for stock and thick pads and thought it made it sound worse. I ended up preferring stock pads with no EQ the best. Punchy sound, sweet mids, and airy treble. Suede with EQ comes close but lacks the same punch.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #6,087 of 7,609
I owned an LCD-5 for quite some time, I grew tired of the need to EQ and the various tradeoffs it introduces which is why I ended up buying a Caldera. The LCD-5 takes EQ quite well, but it’s no match for the stock tuning of the Caldera IMO

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #6,088 of 7,609
I owned an LCD-5 for quite some time, I grew tired of the need to EQ and the various tradeoffs it introduces which is why I ended up buying a Caldera. The LCD-5 takes EQ quite well, but it’s no match for the stock tuning of the Caldera IMO
Agreed.

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #6,089 of 7,609
Update, while the 100 Ohm tap on my Agartha is very listenable with the Caldera, I think I’ve settled on the 16 Ohm tap as the sweet spot. I’d have to look back but I believe this was my initial impression as well, so I’ve come full circle.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Update # 2

I’ve actually settled on the 8 Ohm tap with the Caldera, but it needs a 6SL7 driver to really shine. If I’m running a 6SN7 (which is what I prefer in the Agartha for ZMF Dynamics) then the 16 Ohm tap is marginally better.

To my ears anyway which tap is preferable on an A&S amp with multiple taps is dependent on driver. YMMV

6SL7 8 Ohm
6SN7 16 Ohm

(Probably doesn’t hurt that I’m running an early Mullard ECC35 either)

IMG_4534.jpeg

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #6,090 of 7,609
Update # 2

I’ve actually settled on the 8 Ohm tap with the Caldera, but it needs a 6SL7 driver to really shine. If I’m running a 6SN7 (which is what I prefer in the Agartha for ZMF Dynamics) then the 16 Ohm tap is marginally better.

To my ears anyway which tap is preferable on an A&S amp with multiple taps is dependent on driver. YMMV

6SL7 8 Ohm
6SN7 16 Ohm

(Probably doesn’t hurt that I’m running an early Mullard ECC35 either)

Another lovely looking Caldera there! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back