ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #6,001 of 7,069
Honestly, a few days is not enough for them for burn in, they sounded at first quite bright or peaky in the treble, a week or two more should do it for them
Fair enough. I didn't think that planar's needed burn in. For the dynamics I definitely let them burn in and they sounded better, so makes sense.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6,003 of 7,069
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #6,004 of 7,069
They really are damn near perfect, aren't they? I'm a die-hard Utopia fanboy, but I knew I wanted a planar as an alternative option. That "dynamic engagement" that Utopia is so famous for is the "secret sauce" that makes it my favorite, and in that respect I could never find a planar that quite hit that sweet spot for me. Even Susvara, though I'm not entirely sure I ever heard it amped to its maximum potential, always sounds a little bit limp to me. The highest compliment I can pay Caldera is that I have rarely thought "hmmmm, I wonder if this might sound better on Utopia?". When I A/B back and forth, Utopia certainly "slams" a little harder, but in exchange Caldera is noticeably better/more resolving in the bass - making them trade punches quite evenly IMHO. I'm convinced Caldera, even as ZMF's first entry into the category, has comfortably claimed its place in the discussion for the "best planar magnetic headphone in the world"
Indeed they are! Still listening to them and they hit me the same way every time. Interestingly, I was on the fence about selling my Utopia and have decided to do it based on how much I've been loving the Caldera. The Utopia is amazing too though. I prefer the tuning on the Caldera - they sound mid-focused, but in a way that's not too much like the Utopia can sometimes be, and ultimately more emotive.

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #6,005 of 7,069
Honestly, a few days is not enough for them for burn in, they sounded at first quite bright or peaky in the treble, a week or two more should do it for them
I'm not sure. I received a well-used pair (with stock pads) for a home demo, and had the same issue with a treble peak. I didn't have the mesh or alternate pads on hand, unfortunately, but I loved everything else about the headphone so much that I plan to experiment with those options at the upcoming CanJam NYC to see if I can eliminate the peak. I've read that the suede pads and/or the mesh are the most likely fixes.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #6,006 of 7,069
I'm not sure. I received a well-used pair (with stock pads) for a home demo, and had the same issue with a treble peak. I didn't have the mesh or alternate pads on hand, unfortunately, but I loved everything else about the headphone so much that I plan to experiment with those options at the upcoming CanJam NYC to see if I can eliminate the peak. I've read that the suede pads and/or the mesh are the most likely fixes.

It might also be a mental break-in, as in, you listen to it and get used to it and it disappears.
I've switched to Suede on a permanent basis (Put them on to try them in the beginning, didn't like the pillowy bass, now it's also fixed after break in, either way) just recently and I'll say that it's more treble peaky for me than the stock pads, I might change back, but Suede are probably more comfortable, not sure yet.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #6,007 of 7,069
I don’t think the Caldera is a “bright“ headphone. Its overall tonality is neutral/warm. But it does have a brief treble peak which caused problems for me - manifesting itself in sibilance (especially with female voices). Some people hear it some people don‘t. For me it is a “warm bright” headphone if that makes any sense. I’m currently running the mesh and suede pads and it has completely fixed the problem. I’ve lost a small bit of air with the mesh but it’s acceptable for my tastes and also makes for a bigger difference with the naturally more airy Susvara. The Caldera has a much stronger mid bass punch and a nice richer midrange. For me the two headphones are complimentary - the Calderas don’t replace the Susvara. Maybe on a brighter less powerful system I would prefer the Caldera.

However, I couldn’t live with that treble peak without the mesh no matter how long I tried to let my brain get used to it.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #6,008 of 7,069
So I've had my Caldera's for a few days now. Been kinda a mixed bag so far. Think I'm having issue dialing in a sound I like. Coming from the AC and Bokeh a pad swap kinda nailed the sound for me.

With the Caldera's some songs sound amazing but then others sounds bright. Currently listening to them with the stock pads on.

Am trying to give it time and see if I just need time to adjust coming from the AC and Bokeh.

IMG_0271.jpg
That is really lovely wood. What is it?

If you've only had your Caldera a few days and it's a new headphone, it would benefit from burn-in. I do at least 100 hrs for planars, more like 150 hours average for everything. Sound does change a little from burn-in, even with planars.

Other suggestions based on experience:
  • If these came with the stock mesh, get a pair of the mantle mesh. It does make somewhat a difference in pulling back the upper mids/lower treble just a bit
  • And get the lambskin thick pads, which are the deepest/tallest of the pads designed for this headphone. They look just like the stock pads but are ~1/4" deeper. That makes a real difference in the sound, which becomes a big less assertive in the upper mids, definitely more chill, spacy, with even bigger soundstage.
The Caldera is without doubt a high resolution planar headphone. With stock mesh and pads, it was a bit too assertive in the upper mids for me (I am very treble averse, probably more than most here). But I could also easily hear all the other qualities this headphone has besides pure tonal/frequency characteristics. The beauty of the Caldera is how readily you can fine-tune its sound. That's what I did, and the Caldera has become my favorite planar by a big margin, though I have a couple others I also like a lot.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #6,009 of 7,069
That is really lovely wood. What is it?
its ironwood.
If you've only had your Caldera a few days and it's a new headphone, it would benefit from burn-in. I do at least 100 hrs for planars, more like 150 hours average for everything. Sound does change a little from burn-in, even with planars.
Good to know about the burn in. Gonna burn it in first and see how it goes and then experiment with pads / mesh
Other suggestions based on experience:
  • If these came with the stock mesh, get a pair of the mantle mesh. It does make somewhat a difference in pulling back the upper mids/lower treble just a bit
  • And get the lambskin thick pads, which are the deepest/tallest of the pads designed for this headphone. They look just like the stock pads but are ~1/4" deeper. That makes a real difference in the sound, which becomes a big less assertive in the upper mids, definitely more chill, spacy, with even bigger soundstage.
I did get the lambskin thick pads and the mantle mesh as well. But I think I'll wait for the burn in period and then try a few combos to see. I do also have the suede pads from my AC which is also an option.
The Caldera is without doubt a high resolution planar headphone. With stock mesh and pads, it was a bit too assertive in the upper mids for me (I am very treble averse, probably more than most here). But I could also easily hear all the other qualities this headphone has besides pure tonal/frequency characteristics. The beauty of the Caldera is how readily you can fine-tune its sound. That's what I did, and the Caldera has become my favorite planar by a big margin, though I have a couple others I also like a lot.
After experiencing a few headphones I do feel like i'm a bit treble sensitive. I don't think I'm super sensitive but definitely notice when it gets a bit spicy in the treble.
The fine tuning is something I really like. You don't really see that with other headphones (at least that I've seen).

When I ordered my Bokeh I loved the idea of the tuning kit where you can get altogether 3 sets of pads and 2 meshes to fine tune the sound.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #6,010 of 7,069
I don’t think the Caldera is a “bright“ headphone.
I agree with you, but also note that studying the FR I've come to think "bright" is largely a product of what frequencies a listener is able to perceive. I'm 48 years old and can only hear up to about 16k. Below that level Caldera is brighter than Utopia - a headphone that MANY people, much to my confusion, describe as 'bright'. I don't hear it that way, but I think it's because I can't hear the frequencies where it is elevated. To my ears Caldera is actually slightly brighter than Utopia, because in the sub-15k region it actually is. Just goes to remind us that everything in this hobby, whether it is measurable/quantifiable or not, is actually still subjective.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #6,011 of 7,069
I agree with you, but also note that studying the FR I've come to think "bright" is largely a product of what frequencies a listener is able to perceive. I'm 48 years old and can only hear up to about 16k. Below that level Caldera is brighter than Utopia - a headphone that MANY people, much to my confusion, describe as 'bright'. I don't hear it that way, but I think it's because I can't hear the frequencies where it is elevated. To my ears Caldera is actually slightly brighter than Utopia, because in the sub-15k region it actually is. Just goes to remind us that everything in this hobby, whether it is measurable/quantifiable or not, is actually still subjective.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but do you find the Caldera to be a good match with the Stellaris? I’ve been thinking about either the Caldera or the closed version once it comes out.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #6,012 of 7,069
I apologize if this has been asked before, but do you find the Caldera to be a good match with the Stellaris? I’ve been thinking about either the Caldera or the closed version once it comes out.
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #6,013 of 7,069
Indeed they are! Still listening to them and they hit me the same way every time. Interestingly, I was on the fence about selling my Utopia and have decided to do it based on how much I've been loving the Caldera. The Utopia is amazing too though. I prefer the tuning on the Caldera - they sound mid-focused, but in a way that's not too much like the Utopia can sometimes be, and ultimately more emotive.

Caldera I think have a relative dip in upper mids compared to the Utopia so that's a good correlation between your ears and the measurements!

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #6,014 of 7,069

Well I think some other factors may affect our perception. For instance, Utopia OG, while definitely a bright headphone, behave "really" differently when I paired with Cayin HA-3A/HA-6A Tube Amp. It got a lot darker and bassier than any solid state amp I ever tried, even a warm and full body sounding SS amp like Enleum, Ferrum and Silver Fox. ZMF Caldera doesn't behave the same when I tried to switch between amps above. Yeah they all sound different, but the bass and treble don't change as extreme as Utopia OG. Perhaps the impedance and different type of drivers may become the factors here.

For Utopia 2022, this one is warmer and darker than Caldera.

p.s: I never tried Stellaris, but really curious about how it sounds

------

Current Playlist: Diana Panton - A Cheerful Little Earful, in my set up this Album sound smooth like butter with Caldera

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #6,015 of 7,069
PXL_20231221_175135140.jpg

It's beautiful IRL!!

Some fine music listening and some fine chocolates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back