ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 17, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #5,971 of 7,192
Pretty much what I felt about these pad swaps, too.

The thins were diverting for a short time; they clearly sounded different, bassy and more one dimensional spatially. The stock pads were the "Goldilocks" option (easy to hear why they're the choice for stock pads)--but the thicks, at least for me, are "Goldilocks on steroids," everything I like about stock pads taken a bit higher, plus that wonderful, chill, spacy vibe the add'l space between ears & drivers gives.

I suppose one of these days I should switch back to stock pads just to get re-oriented, but those thicks sound so good, I can't get motivated to do it.
I feel exactly the same way. :wink:

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #5,972 of 7,192
Just tried thick pads with the Harman curve without bass shelf and it’s a fail. Doesn’t sound right. So back to stock pads. However, if anyone has a graph of stock pads vs thick, then can apply the slight adjustment needed to get thick mids to sound like stock mids. If that doesn’t work, then truly done playing around with pads 🫤

Edit: Found the graph that Zack posted here. I’ll post back later if I figured out how to adjust EQ to sound right.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...view-and-impressions.12693/page-3#post-396077

Also, looking at that graph, surprised the bass is basically the same as stock. It just the allusion of more bass because there is less mids. So if I can add back the mids, the thick pads might only add more soundstage is all.

Further Edit: Attempted an EQ adjustment. With this setting the thick pads sound pretty close and don’t notice any difference in bass. It’s like the stock pads with a touch of reverb and slightly bigger soundstage. I do like this better than thick pads alone but the stock pads still sound better overall. Find that reverb effect a little strange. Possible I could do better with my EQ adjustment but here it is. Couldn’t really figure out how to create a little shelf from 2-4 kHz.

IMG_0714.jpeg
The thing is I already apply a considerable EQ but through Mojo 2 where there are 4 bands to EQ and I elevate them all by certain dBs. After that ASR discussion, I checked myself and found out (also discussed with Zach) that with my EQ, I am actually getting myself close to Harman without even realizing (not as extreme as Amir's recommendation though). While changing the pads to Cowhide, I didn't change the EQ settings and found out that there was a minor increase in harshness in treble but didn't mention this in my above impressions because its probably due to mismatch. Stock pads bass is hitting hard, that's for sure but I just wish that I could do something about getting that bass slap that I felt with cowhides with stock pads as well but increasing bass further will disrupt the balance.
Another thing is that it seems I was doing the same with my LCD-XC as well (though of course EQ settings were different) and tried them again recently. No, it is definitely not like Caldera. So this experience tells me that EQ'in everything towards Harman doesn't solve the long discussed ''standardization'' problem at all.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #5,974 of 7,192
Been listening off and on to my Caldera since it arrived yesterday and... was moved to tears within a few songs of listening! Unique experience for me that connects me back to the days of when I first started being really emotionally moved by music. I've always been a fan of ZMF, but this feels like the culmination of my experience so far. Also feels a bit like I'm obviously preaching to the choir in this thread, but man, this headphone really does something special to my ears! I see now why it's become people's favorite.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #5,975 of 7,192
Peaked into ACR thread tonight again, while listening to Caldera, reading Amirs continuous rants about how dull the sound is, with a large smile on my face, since I simply can’t put the headphone down and go to bed lol. Why is it so damn addicting.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #5,976 of 7,192
Peaked into ACR thread tonight again, while listening to Caldera, reading Amirs continuous rants about how dull the sound is, with a large smile on my face, since I simply can’t put the headphone down and go to bed lol. Why is it so damn addicting.
dont waste your time on that site...

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #5,977 of 7,192
dont waste your time on that site...
Personally, my feeling is the more we talk about it here the more we increase the chance that some of his minions will come here and try to take over the thread, something they've been known to do on other boards.

Or we keep talking about ASR and talking about them becomes a common thing in the thread.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #5,978 of 7,192
Personally, my feeling is the more we talk about it here the more we increase the chance that some of his minions will come here and try to take over the thread, something they've been known to do on other boards.

Or we keep talking about ASR and talking about them becomes a common thing in the thread.

There is some really great wisdom in this post. If you need proof of this go read the Yggy thread when they were reviewed, Abyss when they were reviewed or the chord thread when they were reviewed which I think was just earlier this year.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #5,979 of 7,192
Quickly becoming my new favorite way to listen is Caldera on the 100 Ohm tap of my Agartha. (Previously I would rely mostly on the 32 Ohm tap). 100 Ohm really thickens up the mids, and puts an incredible amount of body and weight behind the notes.

I came across another forum post where @zach915m had recommended the 100 Ohm tap to a Nautilus owner, which is why I thought to try it. Comparatively now, the 32 Ohm sounds thin and brittle. I don’t think I can go back.

I’ve got to be honest I never gave the 100 ohm tap much of a chance until recently as others have stated it resulted in a loss of precision and detail. I’m not picking that up at all but then again 6S5S drivers and Elrog 300B’s have precision and detail in spades, so any loss in detail is minimal and the trade off is well worth it IMO.
Update, while the 100 Ohm tap on my Agartha is very listenable with the Caldera, I think I’ve settled on the 16 Ohm tap as the sweet spot. I’d have to look back but I believe this was my initial impression as well, so I’ve come full circle.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #5,980 of 7,192
Been listening off and on to my Caldera since it arrived yesterday and... was moved to tears within a few songs of listening! Unique experience for me that connects me back to the days of when I first started being really emotionally moved by music. I've always been a fan of ZMF, but this feels like the culmination of my experience so far. Also feels a bit like I'm obviously preaching to the choir in this thread, but man, this headphone really does something special to my ears! I see now why it's become people's favorite.

what do you think about wa23 vs envy with Caldera? Curious how wa23 paired with planar zmf

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #5,981 of 7,192
what do you think about wa23 vs envy with Caldera? Curious how wa23 paired with planar zmf
I've been waiting for someone to ask me this, haha!

I've had the WA-23 since autumn 2022 and have had the Envy for about 2.5 months. Did not expect to own two TOTL tube amps, but did not like the Enleum 23R overall in my system, so ended up exchanging for the Envy.

When I got the Envy, I immediately loved the bigger bass and bigger soundstage over the WA-23. It was obvious it'd be a great compliment to the WA-23. Now that I've had a good amount of time to listen to both, I still prefer the WA-23 for most of my headphones. I've been listening to the Caldera a lot since I got it, and it's particularly seriously addictive on the WA-23. I prefer it on that amp over the Envy. I was trying to think about why that is as I've been listening, so that's why I said I'm glad someone asked since I've been wanting a chance to articulate these thoughts!

To me, the WA-23 sounds more cohesive and tonally perfect to me over the Envy. The Envy slams harder and also has a bigger soundstage, but it sounds almost like there's a lack of coherency in its sound because of that, almost like the bass and soundstage are separated. The soundstage and bass is still really good on the WA-23, there's just more of it on the Envy. The first amp I listened to the Caldera on was the WA-23 and immediately was just taken with it. As I said in a different post, I actually teared up a few songs in! There's just something married between technical performance with some specific emotional midrange in the Caldera that hits me right in the feels (first time I've ever used that hipster phrase too, ha!) and the WA-23 is just an incredible match with Caldera. It's amazing in the same way for all my other headphones, where I'd say Envy is a little more picky. VC seems to scale unusually high with the Envy where it doesn't as much with the WA-23. Susvara also benefits from the extra power and soundstage that the Envy has, but still sounds amazing on the WA-23. I'd say the only time I've preferred Envy so far is with the VC , or when I need more of a punchy, super exciting bigger sound. It's nice to have both though for sure.

P.S. - your photographs are kinda what made me want this particular set, so thanks! They look just as cool in person, although with some different qualities. Very stoked on them.

Attachments

• IMG_6232.jpg
    IMG_6232.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6231.jpg
    IMG_6231.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6234.jpg
    IMG_6234.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #5,982 of 7,192
I've been waiting for someone to ask me this, haha!

I've had the WA-23 since autumn 2022 and have had the Envy for about 2.5 months. Did not expect to own two TOTL tube amps, but did not like the Enleum 23R overall in my system, so ended up exchanging for the Envy.

When I got the Envy, I immediately loved the bigger bass and bigger soundstage over the WA-23. It was obvious it'd be a great compliment to the WA-23. Now that I've had a good amount of time to listen to both, I still prefer the WA-23 for most of my headphones. I've been listening to the Caldera a lot since I got it, and it's particularly seriously addictive on the WA-23. I prefer it on that amp over the Envy. I was trying to think about why that is as I've been listening, so that's why I said I'm glad someone asked since I've been wanting a chance to articulate these thoughts!

To me, the WA-23 sounds more cohesive and tonally perfect to me over the Envy. The Envy slams harder and also has a bigger soundstage, but it sounds almost like there's a lack of coherency in its sound because of that, almost like the bass and soundstage are separated. The soundstage and bass is still really good on the WA-23, there's just more of it on the Envy. The first amp I listened to the Caldera on was the WA-23 and immediately was just taken with it. As I said in a different post, I actually teared up a few songs in! There's just something married between technical performance with some specific emotional midrange in the Caldera that hits me right in the feels (first time I've ever used that hipster phrase too, ha!) and the WA-23 is just an incredible match with Caldera. It's amazing in the same way for all my other headphones, where I'd say Envy is a little more picky. VC seems to scale unusually high with the Envy where it doesn't as much with the WA-23. Susvara also benefits from the extra power and soundstage that the Envy has, but still sounds amazing on the WA-23. I'd say the only time I've preferred Envy so far is with the VC , or when I need more of a punchy, super exciting bigger sound. It's nice to have both though for sure.

P.S. - your photographs are kinda what made me want this particular set, so thanks! They look just as cool in person, although with some different qualities. Very stoked on them.

That's a beautiful set!

Everytime I hear the WA23 at CanJams I'm blown away. Something really special about this amp. One of the most memorable listens to it was in the last CanJam NYC. A user brought his Tambaqui and plugged in into the WA23, that combo was something else (just to add to your bucket list:wink:).

beautiful set up man, congrats

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #5,983 of 7,192
That's a beautiful set!

Everytime I hear the WA23 at CanJams I'm blown away. Something really special about this amp. One of the most memorable listens to it was in the last CanJam NYC. A user brought his Tambaqui and plugged in into the WA23, that combo was something else (just to add to your bucket list:wink:).

beautiful set up man, congrats
Hey thanks man! You know the journey of this set!

Haha, yeah that DAC is on my radar. I think I know who you're taking about with the Tambaqui - @HONEYBOY has sang its praises to me. I'd love to hear it at some point.

Agreed though, it's a special amp. It sounds great with all headphones, but a perfect match for Caldera for my ears.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #5,984 of 7,192
Hey thanks man! You know the journey of this set!

Haha, yeah that DAC is on my radar. I think I know who you're taking about with the Tambaqui - @HONEYBOY has sang its praises to me. I'd love to hear it at some point.

Agreed though, it's a special amp. It sounds great with all headphones, but a perfect match for Caldera for my ears.

that's right! (thanks for reminding me). he was generous in bringing it to the show. awesome combo 😊

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #5,985 of 7,192

Users who are viewing this thread

Back