ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #5,956 of 7,293
BANFF generated a LOT of discussion here when it was released. @RoThe had the fastest clicky finger, and now has the most worldwide enemies. :wink:lol (j/k!)

You don't know what you truly loved until you don't have it anymore. I don't really feel bad about missing out on the banf but the landfall... that gets me

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #5,957 of 7,293
Just saw my Caldera delivery has been moved up a couple days to TODAY! Wahoo! Looks like Christmas is coming a little early.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #5,958 of 7,293
8 months after getting my Caldera, at last I dared to try the Cowhide pads which were my secondary pad choice while ordering. So in general, compared to the stock pads, bass is noticeably more dynamic, engaging and feels more isolated (can be a con sometimes). I didn't feel a big difference in vocals. It surprised me how soundstage decreased and that grandness is diminished. Even though bass is more punchy, generally the sound felt smaller/maybe even thinner but the brass section sounded more forward. The balance wasn't as cohesive as stock pads but I was just surprised how Funk music sounded incredibly fun on cowhides. Apart from Funk, all other genres weren't as grand and full or natural sounding as with stock pads. As a result, they won't be replacing stock pads but they are a pretty interesting listen, that's for sure. Especially, that visceral bass whipping my ears was something else.

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #5,959 of 7,293
8 months after getting my Caldera, at last I dared to try the Cowhide pads which were my secondary pad choice while ordering. So in general, compared to the stock pads, bass is noticeably more dynamic, engaging and feels more isolated (can be a con sometimes). I didn't feel a big difference in vocals. It surprised me how soundstage decreased and that grandness is diminished. Even though bass is more punchy, generally the sound felt smaller/maybe even thinner but the brass section sounded more forward. The balance wasn't as cohesive as stock pads but I was just surprised how Funk music sounded incredibly fun on cowhides. Apart from Funk, all other genres weren't as grand and full or natural sounding as with stock pads. As a result, they won't be replacing stock pads but they are a pretty interesting listen, that's for sure. Especially, that visceral bass whipping my ears was something else.
That's pretty spot on from what I felt about them. There are some trade-offs like you mentioned, but that added weight to the bass was crazy addictive.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #5,960 of 7,293
Similar to my experience. I find that with the thin pads the soundstage somewhat collapses, losing depth most of all, but also space in general. To me imaging is also not as precise as with the stock or thick pads. If you'd like a little more bass than the stock pads, you should try the thick ones: slightly more bass and increased sense of depth/spaciousness versus the stock pads.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #5,961 of 7,293
Similar to my experience. I find that with the thin pads the soundstage somewhat collapses, losing depth most of all, but also space in general. To me imaging is also not as precise as with the stock or thick pads. If you'd like a little more bass than the stock pads, you should try the thick ones: slightly more bass and increased sense of depth/spaciousness versus the stock pads.
Elevated bass and wider stage is tempting but I can’t risk losing any midrange at this point.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #5,962 of 7,293
I'm interested in getting a tube amp and I would love to hear from other Caldera owners which ones have paired the best.

Has anyone tried the Caldera on a Woo WA7 gen 3? Or how about a Moon Audio Dragon Inspire IHA-1? Both are modest on power output I know, but the Caldera isn't the power hog that the Susvara is.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #5,963 of 7,293
Elevated bass and wider stage is tempting but I can’t risk losing any midrange at this point.
I don't feel I am losing out much on midrange with the thick pads versus the stock, unless it is some really mid-centric recording.
I think, the mids feel more pronounced on the stock pads because bass doesn't have the slight elevation of the thick pads. To me losing 10% mid emphasis is a good trade for 30% more spaciousness and and 15% more bass.
But it all depends on music genre, gear used and personal preference.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #5,964 of 7,293
For me, I can live with the thick pads for a few days before I start to realize something is missing. And when I switch back to the stock pads, it’s like a breath of fresh air. That extra richness in the mids is missing from the thick pads. Now after playing around with the Harman Curve setting suggested on ASR, I’m thinking maybe try that without the bass shelf and the thick pads and see if that works. The mids and bass are too much with Harman and stock pads but mid boost might work for the thick pad.

I haven’t bothered to test this out yet since the stock pads already work perfectly for me taste. And not a fan of EQ. But if I was to try thick pads again, it would need some kind of small boost in the mids to allow for long term use. The only reason I’d consider this over stock is the thick do have more sub bass and impact, and bigger soundstage with layers. However, not even sure I prefer that bigger soundstage. Impressive on short listens though.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #5,965 of 7,293
For me, I can live with the thick pads for a few days before I start to realize something is missing. And when I switch back to the stock pads, it’s like a breath of fresh air. That extra richness in the mids is missing from the thick pads. Now after playing around with the Harman Curve setting suggested on ASR, I’m thinking maybe try that without the bass shelf and the thick pads and see if that works. The mids and bass are too much with Harman and stock pads but mid boost might work for the thick pad.

I haven’t bothered to test this out yet since the stock pads already work perfectly for me taste. And not a fan of EQ. But if I was to try thick pads again, it would need some kind of small boost in the mids to allow for long term use. The only reason I’d consider this over stock is the thick do have more sub bass and impact, and bigger soundstage with layers. However, not even sure I prefer that bigger soundstage. Impressive on short listens though.
Just tried thick pads with the Harman curve without bass shelf and it’s a fail. Doesn’t sound right. So back to stock pads. However, if anyone has a graph of stock pads vs thick, then can apply the slight adjustment needed to get thick mids to sound like stock mids. If that doesn’t work, then truly done playing around with pads 🫤

Edit: Found the graph that Zack posted here. I’ll post back later if I figured out how to adjust EQ to sound right.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...view-and-impressions.12693/page-3#post-396077

Also, looking at that graph, surprised the bass is basically the same as stock. It just the allusion of more bass because there is less mids. So if I can add back the mids, the thick pads might only add more soundstage is all.

Further Edit: Attempted an EQ adjustment. With this setting the thick pads sound pretty close and don’t notice any difference in bass. It’s like the stock pads with a touch of reverb and slightly bigger soundstage. I do like this better than thick pads alone but the stock pads still sound better overall. Find that reverb effect a little strange. Possible I could do better with my EQ adjustment but here it is. Couldn’t really figure out how to create a little shelf from 2-4 kHz.

IMG_0714.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #5,966 of 7,293
I'm interested in getting a tube amp and I would love to hear from other Caldera owners which ones have paired the best.

Has anyone tried the Caldera on a Woo WA7 gen 3? Or how about a Moon Audio Dragon Inspire IHA-1? Both are modest on power output I know, but the Caldera isn't the power hog that the Susvara is.
I highly recommend the Woo WA8. Caldera sounds so good out of it. Was enjoying it out of that amp yesterday just as much as I was out of my other tube amps!

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #5,967 of 7,293
heaSo, just because my ear cannot consciously "hear" sounds at 40Khz, does that mean that my brain doesn't receive any meaningful data from that region? Apparently not, and the apparent ASR assumption that this is well understood is laughable.
To be honest, I think that’s exactly what it means.

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #5,968 of 7,293
I too ordered the cowhide pads with my Caldera, and had a very similar experience. Bass gets a little punchier, but soundstage & separation really collapse. I can see how that might be someone's preference, but it certainly isn't mine. Plus I find the stock pads more plush and comfortable - will be sticking with them for now. I might give in and order the thick pads at some point just to give them a try, but I suspect they will be too warm for my preference.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #5,970 of 7,293
Pretty much what I felt about these pad swaps, too.

The thins were diverting for a short time; they clearly sounded different, bassy and more one dimensional spatially. The stock pads were the "Goldilocks" option (easy to hear why they're the choice for stock pads)--but the thicks, at least for me, are "Goldilocks on steroids," everything I like about stock pads taken a bit higher, plus that wonderful, chill, spacy vibe the add'l space between ears & drivers gives.

I suppose one of these days I should switch back to stock pads just to get re-oriented, but those thicks sound so good, I can't get motivated to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back