ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #5,116 of 7,112
Recently popped my Caldera lava spout...
Caldera_4K (3)_Compresed.png

Currently running it off a Burson Soloist 3XP with Sparko op-amps. Of course it sounds fantastic. Most impressive ZMF thus far. That all being said, I had my heart set on picking up a Cayin HA-3A as an entrance into the world of tubes, but doing my research like a good lil'audio boy, it sounds like the HA-3A isn't a great pairing with the Caldera unless you manage to find holy grail tubes?? Consensus seems to be keeping it on SS is best and of course the Bliss is better, but the Bliss is $1~2K more so one would hope it would be...

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on moving from a Soloist to the Cayin HA-3A, if there are other amps I should be considering instead, and/also if tube amps or similarly priced SS amps would even be a better pairings than what I already have (a relatively well respected SS amp, the Soloist)?

I love the Caldera off my Auris Nirvana (tube selection is important, but based off 12au7 and EL34, even NOS tubes are easy to source and not too expensive) which you can find in head-fi classified at prices sometimes near a Bliss. For solid state options, you can get great CFA-3 builds on head-fi classified for around $2+k (which personally I prefer to the Bliss, though it's neither better nor worse, just different: more open high frequencies/bigger stage vs. the more dense Bliss tone)

Beyond that, come and join us down the amp rabbit hole (aka as "The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones" thread):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #5,117 of 7,112
*The V281 has been my favorite amp (period) for 5+ years. Yesterday I was astounded to hear there's a limited edition reissue of the V281 now accepting pre-orders by the very fine U.S. agent for Violectric, Arthur Power:
https://power-holdings-inc.com/Violectric-HPA-V281-Reissue-Headphone-Amp-p585718067
I spoke with Arthur today on unrelated matters, but eventually the conversation turned to the re-issued v281. Apparently Arthur is the only person in the world that will have these amps and once the 100 are gone he doesn't expect more to be built.

I would suggest not sleeping on this chance.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #5,118 of 7,112
Whether you listen to classical music or not, do yourself a favor and have a quick listen to the very first track on this album (which is the first movement of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5).

While doing some comparative listening this evening for a review, I just put the Caldera back on and had that "holly crap" moment right from the first notes... the energy and dynamism of the their presentation is just a joy on this one :gs1000smile::

1694223075101.png

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #5,119 of 7,112
I spoke with Arthur today on unrelated matters, but eventually the conversation turned to the re-issued v281. Apparently Arthur is the only person in the world that will have these amps and once the 100 are gone he doesn't expect more to be built.

dammit, my wallet

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #5,120 of 7,112

It's rather tempting, although my audio purchases this past year have been a bit high...

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #5,121 of 7,112

If by that time you recommended me the V222 or V550 for the Caldera the V281 reissue were already out I wouldn't hesitate into instabuy.

I remember started asking for something small (and even I thought on sell the Euforia) to gain space and I ended buying big and expensive equipment due to hype increasing: the Bliss, Spring 3 and HA-300 (damnn Hifi world :sweat_smile:), but at least I can pile them easily,

I would lie if I say I didnt think into sell the Bliss and Spring to get smaller factor, the V281 reissue and other DAC like the Morpheus, but the Spring 3 and Bliss is killer combo and I am in love with the HA-300 and using the Bliss as pre amp to precisely adjust the volume of the HA-300 to a sweet spot.

The V281 would be like that extra fetish in the collection as I bet is totally different to the Bliss, giving much more fun, unfortunately, too much hifi expenses this year and my wife would kill me introducing another monster into house.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #5,122 of 7,112

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on moving from a Soloist to the Cayin HA-3A, if there are other amps I should be considering instead, and/also if tube amps or similarly priced SS amps would even be a better pairings than what I already have (a relatively well respected SS amp, the Soloist)?
I don't have Caldera, but for planars I enjoy ampsandsound and you can find a Kenzie on sale for under $2k. Schiit's new Mjolnir 3 is not a tube amplifer, but it's amazing.

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #5,123 of 7,112

Currently running it off a Burson Soloist 3XP with Sparko op-amps. Of course it sounds fantastic. Most impressive ZMF thus far. That all being said, I had my heart set on picking up a Cayin HA-3A as an entrance into the world of tubes, but doing my research like a good lil'audio boy, it sounds like the HA-3A isn't a great pairing with the Caldera unless you manage to find holy grail tubes?? Consensus seems to be keeping it on SS is best and of course the Bliss is better, but the Bliss is $1~2K more so one would hope it would be...

Personally Caldera sounds totally ok with HA-3A. Definitely more preferable compared to Soloist 3XP. To Tube or Not Tube, really depend on your preference, but not all SS/Tube amps the same anyway.

With similar price range, I prefer Cayin HA-6A than Burson Soloist GT for Caldera. However, I much prefer Cen Grand Silver Fox than Cayin HA-300 MK2 (again, with similar price).

Also, don't you find the R26 a bit bright and lean in comparison to other R2R DACs?
Thanks!
Actually for the next few days I will have R26 in my place (My TT2 is away). This Gustard a bit remind me of Denafrip Pontus and XIAudio Sagra, with Full Body, kind of darkish sound in nice way, but definitely with better resolution than Denarip Pontus (comparable to Sagra I think). Other R2R DACs that I know well is Rockna Wavelight, which produce more sparkle treble than R26 (still darker/softer than Chord TT2 though).

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #5,127 of 7,112

There is a nice Walnut Burl Pendant SE for sale in the classifieds. I can personally vouch for this one as I recently owned this amp (and it belonged to @Wes S prior to that). Current owner has only had it for a few weeks before moving up the A&S chain. It’s a tube rollers dream and perfect for ZMFs

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/zmf-pendant-se-extras.54021/

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #5,128 of 7,112
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 15, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #5,129 of 7,112
Another member of H.C.S.o.B has arrived. Red Mallee Burl this time, which I don't think I've seen posted anywhere yet.

Big thank you to @DeepBrown for the customs self-clearance tip. These were waiting for close to a week and no clue how much longer it would have taken. A 2 hour round trip and they're home. Will definitely have more thoughts (and photos) in the future, but very first impressions are impressive coming from the Auteur Classics (which I have set up a little warmer with the hybrid auteurs). These feel so quick and crisp, but still with a really satisfying weight, even off my mid-fi source gear.

DSCF2836.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back