ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #2,521 of 7,070
Ahh… you’re looking for the Aberfeldy 18yr special edition matured in red wine casks!

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #2,522 of 7,070
I’ve had my Caldera Kingwoods for about 10 days now. I find myself struggling with the sheer poverty of words at my disposal to properly describe how they sound to my ears. Language, it seems, is the wrong tool for the job. They consistently reveal a landscape of sound that I‘ve been, up until now, wholly unaware of. I’m losing track of the number of times I’ve been moved to tears. @zach915m These truly are something special. Thank you.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #2,524 of 7,070
I’ve had my Caldera Kingwoods for about 10 days now. I find myself struggling with the sheer poverty of words at my disposal to properly describe how they sound to my ears. Language, it seems, is the wrong tool for the job. They consistently reveal a landscape of sound that I‘ve been, up until now, wholly unaware of. I’m losing track of the number of times I’ve been moved to tears. @zach915m These truly are something special. Thank you.
gif_respect.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 17, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,525 of 7,070
Woohoo!!!!

20221216_191032.jpg
Wow! Love the box, that is a really nice touch. That reminds me I should hit zach up for the flight case for the one I got at canjam.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #2,526 of 7,070
Completely agree. I've had a loaner set for a month, meaning to write up more impressions but they're unique not only in the lineup but in terms of anything I've heard. Delicate but impactful, full but also ethereal, and despite the uniqueness the ZMF house sound is immediately identifiable. Already looking forward to the eventual closed version, which I hope won't be for quite awhile for my wallet's sake.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #2,528 of 7,070
This track is so good on caldera too, Caroline has a way of emphasizing her consonants in a very dynamic and rhythmic way and on the wrong headphones it can either sound sibilant and harsh, or underemphasized to the point where the song loses its magic. On caldera it’s just perfect

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #2,529 of 7,070
I think you did an amazing job of describing how the Caldera sounds to you! Sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you say it that has profound affects on what other people think and feel. Congrats on finding a headphone that brings you so much joy. This hobby is about one thing, and one thing only; finding those pieces of gear that connect you to your music. The language of music is universal, but how we hear is not. Nor how we explain it or compare it. You captured exactly what this hobby and community is all about in your post. A friend used to constantly say that she didn't need to be overwhelmed by everything. Just whelm her and she was satisfied. It is rare when we get overwhelmed. Most of the time just being whelmed is enough. The Caldera seems to be that and so much more. Your post points that out! Bravo! It overwhelms me as well. It is far more than just a headphone that whelms.

I know I have owed the thread more impressions, especially with the CFA3. I apologize, I have had a case of writer's block over the past couple weeks while dealing with my mother's stroke and the stress of figuring out her next steps. But, I am still listening and the Caldera/CFA3 is a mighty fine way to take my mind off the heavier parts of life right now. The CFA3 is an extremely clean, powerful and balanced amp with oodles of top end resolution which opens of the soundstage and allows me to hear things in my music that I have taken for granted, or have heard a certain way with different amps. I personally feel the Caldera sounds better on SS amps, although it sounds amazing on my tube amp as well. I like the way my two SS amps provide the Caldera current at the right place and time.

The Caldera and the CFA3 sound incredibly fast, balanced and smooth. No etch, sibilance or any sense of harshness. It provides an enormous amount of depth, detail, and physical weight while possessing impeccable transience. A friend and I have been discussing the differences between resolution and imaging and we have come to agree that they go hand in hand. You can’t have pinpoint imaging without top notch resolution and vice versa. This is in a nutshell the Caldera with the CFA3. Add in a great digital source and you have something that is really hard to put down.

Happy Holidays!

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #2,530 of 7,070
I find the GlenDronach 18 enhances bass control, while Glenfarclas 21 adds some air and sparkle. Most notably, Tobermory 21 dramatically expands the soundstage… :wink:
Wonder what kind of "body" a Kavalan Sherry Oak is able to add.
Guess richer mids and vocals. :)

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #2,533 of 7,070
Dec 18, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #2,534 of 7,070
The CFA3 is an extremely clean, powerful and balanced amp with oodles of top end resolution which opens of the soundstage

First and foremost, wishing your mother much good health Geoff.

As to the impressions, I think you perfectly nailed the CFA-3 differentiation on the above. That’s exactly my take!
(I’ll post some amp impressions soonish as I’m running a few ZMFs off a few amps currently, the Caldera and CFA-3 being a key combo)

I love how there is a thread for everything here. I really wouldn’t have imagined than one. But now that I know,.:wink:

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2,535 of 7,070
FedEx wrapped up my ZMF November buy yesterday, the Kingwood is a very beautiful looking wood and the stainless steel hardware complements it perfectly! Great pairing from the ZMF team.

55D9A9C0-F781-46E1-B9AC-85235B388145.jpeg

I only had a little bit of time to listen so I did some back and forth comparison between the Caldera tonight and my Atriums, I think these two are going to be a great complementary pair.

Today I’m going to compare against my VO. My impressions to come later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back