ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 18, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #2,536 of 7,259
First and foremost, wishing your mother much good health Geoff.
Even though technically off topic, this is very much worth reiterating. I'm sure everyone on this thread is sending your mother healing vibes, I know I am.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,537 of 7,259
First and foremost, wishing your mother much good health Geoff.

As to the impressions, I think you perfectly nailed the CFA-3 differentiation on the above. That’s exactly my take!
(I’ll post some amp impressions soonish as I’m running a few ZMFs off a few amps currently, the Caldera and CFA-3 being a key combo)

I love how there is a thread for everything here. I really wouldn’t have imagined than one. But now that I know,.:wink:
Thank you so much for the kind post. This community continues to amaze me. It is all about a love for music, a shared belief that we can make this a better world thru music and sharing our impressions to help each other continue to learn and evolve. Headphones, amps, DACs and all the corresponding gear are conduits to a greater cause. The greatest language this world has given us. MUSIC!

I am continually learning by the posts shared and the sense of empathy and love is felt by all.

Thank you!

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #2,538 of 7,259
Just a/b'd the Caldera with my CFA3 and Icon Audio HP8. Wow, such a difference in presentation. Both wonderful, but so different. I think this speaks to the flexibility of the Caldera. I could do either and live happily ever after. Fortunately, they are both on my desk, so the only choice I have to make is which cable goes into which amp.

CFA3 - Fast, smooth, subtle with incredible top end extension and resolution. The CFA3 really pulls all of the depth out of the ADS.
HP8 - Holographic. Even with the Caldera's lightning fast transients the HP8 exudes a level of air around the instruments that only tube amps can provide. Bass is off the charts, and that HP8 midrange which flows like a warm summer breeze.

The CFA3 injects warp speed into the Caldera. The HP8 injects romance. That is the definition of a fantastic headphone. 2 amps, 2 different experiences; both of which are as good as it gets.

But, I keep finding my way back to the CFA3. The power and cleanliness, coupled with the top end resolution gives the upper midrange and lower treble of the Caldera a quality I am not sure I can live without.

I have been wondering as of late if my Comet+ was a good enough DAC for the amps and headphones I own and review. The answer is a resounding YES! It continues to scale, and is providing every bit of information within my music.

This is from last night... Enjoy!

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #2,539 of 7,259
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #2,540 of 7,259
I’ve had my Caldera Kingwoods for about 10 days now. I find myself struggling with the sheer poverty of words at my disposal to properly describe how they sound to my ears. Language, it seems, is the wrong tool for the job. They consistently reveal a landscape of sound that I‘ve been, up until now, wholly unaware of. I’m losing track of the number of times I’ve been moved to tears. @zach915m These truly are something special. Thank you.
The struggle for words is real! I couldn't imagine how the ZMF sound could come from a planar, but Zach has done it. It is quite unique.

I've found two great tube combinations that I really like so far for the Bigger Ben with Caldera. The first being NOS Telefunken ECC801S with NOS Shuguang-made Marshal Gold KT-66 and the second being RFT/East Germany ECC81/12AT7 with Sylvania 5933 w/ solid plates.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #2,541 of 7,259
As I type this, I have my verite open over my ears being powered by a Cayin ha6a and pontus 2 dac, so I cant help but ask myself, how does the music sound so wonderful? What else sounds so perfect al the while trying to figure out what exactly is happening between my ears.

And yet tomorrow, I shall be getting my caldera delivered and somehow that's supposed to trump the vo in some aspect. I have no words to describe the excitement, nor can I contain my eagerness to open the box and see something that I have seen before, 4 times before, a musical piece of art.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #2,542 of 7,259
As I type this, I have my verite open over my ears being powered by a Cayin ha6a and pontus 2 dac, so I cant help but ask myself, how does the music sound so wonderful? What else sounds so perfect al the while trying to figure out what exactly is happening between my ears.

And yet tomorrow, I shall be getting my caldera delivered and somehow that's supposed to trump the vo in some aspect. I have no words to describe the excitement, nor can I contain my eagerness to open the box and see something that I have seen before, 4 times before, a musical piece of art.
Coming from someone who absolutely LOVES the VO and has since the first time I heard it, I can tell you that the Caldera is fantastic, but don't expect it to blow VO out of the water. It's not that type of great, but it is great in a whole new way. Neither of them can replace the other. I typically only use planars to switch things up. My dynamic favorites are my primary listening tools. The Caldera is deserving of a spot in the primary camp and I find new qualities that I love at each listening session. I'm only 3 days in at this point.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #2,543 of 7,259
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #2,545 of 7,259
This "intense" problem appear in almost every single TOTL nowadays. Thankfully ZMF doesn't follow the trend.

p.s: From a person who also feel fatigue from Susvara, but I think I just sensitive in certain frequency (treble area) even though Susvara is not harsh/sibilance.
I felt like this at times but now with Envy + ElrogER300B and some good NOS 6sN7s/6f8Gs ... the Susvara loses that fatigue and gains so much body. Its very very nice now.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2,546 of 7,259
atriums did two things better that caldera could not compete

one is the vocal lushness

second is spatial presentation
I'd add a third--the sense of punch/slam, even though the notes on the Caldera have good weight and the bass has phenomenal texture.

Also, since this is the Caldera thread and I'd like to show love for what is a truly fantastic headphone, I'd tweak your first sentence as follows: "atriums did only three things better that caldera could not compete."

Whether you prefer one to the other is going to depend on how important those three characteristics are to you as a listener.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #2,547 of 7,259
I just got my tracking number for the Caldera! Very much looking forward to joining the club.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #2,548 of 7,259

VO is great, but when direct comparison with Caldera, you wil notice that there are some upper mid / lower treble VO that a bit piercing or has metallic feel. While Caldera, project these area much more effortlessly. Caldera is also the one with more transparent feel, like I can "see" the instrument with better glasses.

I felt like this at times but now with Envy + ElrogER300B and some good NOS 6sN7s/6f8Gs ... the Susvara loses that fatigue and gains so much body. Its very very nice now.

Nice, even though I think it's almost impossible for me here to be able to try Envy, but heard a lot of good thing about this tube beast.

atriums did two things better that caldera could not compete

one is the vocal lushness

second is spatial presentation

At the same time resolution in Atrium also appear more blurry, with less precise "cut" on each notes. Doesn't want to start war, just to balance the opinion haha.

Dec 19, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #2,549 of 7,259
Took some pictures last night. Never really got around to pad rolling I've been enjoying the stock pads and just enjoying that for a while. These still seem to be hitting the sweet spot to me sound wise the treble is really beautiful on them really detailed and smooth. I've always been a big Verite fan because of the detail and these seem to be aiming for that same sound but from a different direction and it just really clicks with me.
1671400535767.jpeg

Dec 19, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #2,550 of 7,259
Just got my shipping notification!
Kingwood Caldera’s on the way. Let's hope Canada customs is on the ball and don’t drag their feet with assessing duties, etc. as I am really hoping to unwrap these babies by Xmas morning…
Not the best week of the year to be waiting on an international shipment 🙈
Can’t wait- very excited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back