ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #136 of 7,135
OK got these done finally. Obv. FR doesn't tell everything, but here's some graphs, all taken with our AP set-up and Bruel and Kajer HATS in our self build anechoic chamber, these are the stock pads only. We have ones that are more linear, and slightly warmer.

Frequency Response DF:
FR_CALDERA.jpg

FR Uncompensated:
FR_NO_CALDERA.jpg

FR VS Atrium (dotted) DF:
FR_CALDERA_VS_ATRIUM.jpg
THD - this probably isn't comparable to Jude's rig because his anechoic chamber is quite a bit better than ours. My measurements esp in the bass jump between .1 to .3 depending on surrounding noise.
thd_CALDERA.jpg

Thank You. This looks great :) I wonder how soundstage dimension is compared to Atrium.

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #137 of 7,135
I have to wait until Feb to try these at the next canjam NYC :slight_frown:

The Atrium was on my list to try as a potential pairing for my WA22 and Folkvagnr, but these specs look ideal to match with my WA22.

I was planning on grabbing an LCD-X at some point, but these may surpass that desire.

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #138 of 7,135
Yep for sure!
Oh my god Zach, now this is what set ZMF apart of other brands.
For me a lifetime warranty for a planar is a game changer.
3.500 is more than fair.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #139 of 7,135
The only thing I want to know is how it compares to the Abyss 1266 TCs.

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #140 of 7,135
I have to wait until Feb to try these at the next canjam NYC :slight_frown:

The Atrium was on my list to try as a potential pairing for my WA22 and Folkvagnr, but these specs look ideal to match with my WA22.

I was planning on grabbing an LCD-X at some point, but these may surpass that desire.
I have an lcd x and I would try for the Caldera. I liked the lcd x on the wa22 but I didn't love it on the wa22. I loved the headphone itself but to me I preferred it on solid state or wa22 preamp into a ss amp.

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #141 of 7,135
I have an lcd x and I would try for the Caldera. I liked the lcd x on the wa22 but I didn't love it on the wa22. I loved the headphone itself but to me I preferred it on solid state or wa22 preamp into a ss amp.
I do have a jotenheim 2 I could feed from my wa22 :o2smile:

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #144 of 7,135
The Caldera is more mid-forward than the Atrium to my ears, particularly in the upper mids. If you're familiar with the way an LCD-X (2021) handles upper mid-range presentation, it's got some of that going on.
How is it compared to the LCD-4 ?

This is the big question for me.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #146 of 7,135
Will it slam on the low end like an ori/Omni enough to satisfy all the old school zmf fanboys?
This is what I want to know too. A planar that slams like the Atrium and doesn’t weight a ton like the LCD-4 would be the goldilocks headphone for me.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #147 of 7,135
Will it slam on the low end like an ori/Omni enough to satisfy all the old school zmf fanboys?

This is what I want to know too. A planar that slams like the Atrium and doesn’t weight a ton like the LCD-4 would be the goldilocks headphone for me.

TEAM ORI! (can't say Omni anymore because of the legal peeples)

I did think a lot about that and with the deeper pads that we will carry a few of (they won't be stock) you will get that Ori like slam and euphony. The ori is an extremely unique headphone as a lot of the work I did there was to make up for the t50 driver size to make the headphone sound BIG, where-as this driver doesn't need it. But when you hear the Caldera you very much will know that the same person tuned both for sure.

Now that you guys are mentioning it, I will try to bring one of my personal Ori sets to CanJam for fun, a full circle kind of thing. Should be great.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 13, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #148 of 7,135
ok.. you know I couldn't meet you at SoCal as I'm stuck home that weekend.. this means that I get to test it at CanJam NYC in February then? A silverlining...:)
but yea, best to get it right. we will all be here when it's ready to test it!

Change of plans, the amplifier WILL be at CanJam. Just shipped it off direct to Cali :gs1000smile:

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #149 of 7,135
….when the time comes, buried in a custom Pelican case?….⚰️🤣
Well, not to sound too morbid, but it could make decent urn for those who will never part with their favorite ZMF.
I'll be passing on my ZMF's as heirlooms to my kids and I use that as a valid justification for purchasing more headphones. That leaves me two more to go :)

Love all the great new products this year! I jumped on an Atrium on release when I first saw the aged copper/Cherry beauty and it sounds so sweet.
This new planar is a must for me but I will likely wait on some later LTD releases or see how the closed version comes out. Awesome!

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #150 of 7,135
Figures, just 2 days after I get the shipping notice for my Atrium. Whoops. Didn't think I'd have to have another headphone Battle Royale so soon. Which will stay, which will go? Will I finally be brave enough to sell a ZMF or will I just keep adding every headphone they release until I'm buried by Pelican cases??

Man, I'm in the same boat. I keep acquiring ZMF headphones and I haven't sold a single one yet. Meanwhile, in the 15 years I've been in this hobby I've bought and sold headphones from many of the other popular brands (Focal, Sennheiser, Audeze, AKG, Stax, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back