ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Apr 19, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #7,022 of 7,091
So I've had my Caldera for about 4 months now. Upon first listening I found the treble a bit harsh at times for my taste. The mantle mesh helped. Settled on the mantle mesh + thick pads combo and loved it for the past 3 months.

Today I had the idea to swap around pads to see what other pads I like with the mantle mesh (I have suedes and stock). On a whim I decided to try the cans again without the mantle mesh and with stock pads.
Not sure if its due to burn in or brain burn in (possibly both) but the treble no longer bothers me like it did in the beginning. Depending on the mastering some tracks still do, but for the most part its no longer an issue. Almost feels like I'm listening to an improved version of the Caldera.

Now I get to play around with the 3 pads I have (stock, suedes, thicc) to see which sound signature I prefer!

Side note: the Caldera sounds amazing on the Aegis tube amp (I have a DIY version). For anyone considering the upcoming ZMF Aegis I wholeheartedly recommend it! Its an amazing combo!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #7,023 of 7,091
So I've had my Caldera for about 4 months now. Upon first listening I found the treble a bit harsh at times for my taste. The mantle mesh helped. Settled on the mantle mesh + thick pads combo and loved it for the past 3 months.

Today I had the idea to swap around pads to see what other pads I like with the mantle mesh (I have suedes and stock). On a whim I decided to try the cans again without the mantle mesh and with stock pads.
Not sure if its due to burn in or brain burn in (possibly both) but the treble no longer bothers me like it did in the beginning. Depending on the mastering some tracks still do but for the most part its no longer an issue. Almost feels like I'm listening to an improved version of the Caldera.

Now I get to play around with the 3 pads I have (stock, suedes, thicc) to see which sound signature I prefer!

Side note: the Caldera sounds amazing on the Aegis tube amp (I have a DIY version). For anyone considering the upcoming ZMF Aegis I wholeheartedly recommend it! Its an amazing combo!

Yeah, I like the Caldera on the Aegis a lot. Interestingly, on the ZMF Aegis I like it on the medium impedance setting, which I didn't expect to be the case. I still enjoy it on low as well, but *slightly* prefer medium in most cases.

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #7,024 of 7,091
Yeah, I like the Caldera on the Aegis a lot. Interestingly, on the ZMF Aegis I like it on the medium impedance setting, which I didn't expect to be the case. I still enjoy it on low as well, but *slightly* prefer medium in most cases.
What is the impedance range on the ZMF Aegis? On the DIY version I definitely prefer the low setting.

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #7,025 of 7,091
What is the impedance range on the ZMF Aegis? On the DIY version I definitely prefer the low setting.

Edit: removed for inaccuracy. See posts by Zach and Keenan below.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #7,026 of 7,091
From @L0rdGwyn himself as I was asking yesterday:

1/4" Low: 5ohms
1/4" Med: 11ohms
1/4" High: 31ohms
XLR Low: 11ohms
XLR Med: 28ohms
XLR High: 85ohms

Also of note - the amp is fully certified for EU and will be for sale to the EU and to our dealers.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #7,027 of 7,091

Not sure if its due to burn in or brain burn in (possibly both) but the treble no longer bothers me like it did in the beginning. Depending on the mastering some tracks still do, but for the most part its no longer an issue. Almost feels like I'm listening to an improved version of the Caldera.

If anyone is on the fence about a tube amp for the Caldera, the Aegis is indeed a killer pairing.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #7,028 of 7,091
From @L0rdGwyn himself as I was asking yesterday:

1/4" Low: 5ohms
1/4" Med: 11ohms
1/4" High: 31ohms
XLR Low: 11ohms
XLR Med: 28ohms
XLR High: 85ohms

Also of note - the amp is fully certified for EU and will be for sale to the EU and to our dealers.

Yup those are the measured output impedances. So for Caldera I'd go either 1/4" low or medium, or XLR balanced low for a good damping ratio.

Note that the output impedances will vary slightly depending on the output tubes being used.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #7,029 of 7,091

I had the exact same experience. No longer using mantle mesh. It’s either brain burn in or the treble has eased over time. Whatever it is I’m very happy with the Calderas.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #7,030 of 7,091
Never had a ZMF before, but I've been lusting over the idea of having a stabilized Caldera for the better part of a year now, and managed to score my first choice in the drop this morning! Can't wait to see and hear these beauties in person... 🤤

1000004748.png

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #7,031 of 7,091
Never had a ZMF before, but I've been lusting over the idea of having a stabilized Caldera for the better part of a year now, and managed to score my first choice in the drop this morning! Can't wait to see and hear these beauties in person... 🤤

1000004748.png
Gorgeous! Welcome to the caldera club :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #7,032 of 7,091

Nice, I wanted the Berceuse but missed it so looks liked I'm waiting until later in the year for the next limited drop

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #7,033 of 7,091
Hey everyone! What would be the ideal portable source to drive Caldera?

Is Cayin RU7 enough? I'm also thinking about buying N3 Ultra, what are some good pairings?

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #7,034 of 7,091
Hey everyone! What would be the ideal portable source to drive Caldera?
The Cayin N3 Ultra handles Caldera perfectly. Woo Audio Tube Mini is also great.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #7,035 of 7,091
The Cayin N3 Ultra handles Caldera perfectly. Woo Audio Tube Mini is also great.

At almost the same price, which one would you pick? N3 or Tube Mini. I think being able to use stand alone device, line out, micro sd and USB DAC function N3 Ultra gives more for the money. Also I can use solid state to listen IEMs, modern tube for caldera and classic tube for HD 600. I guess I'm decided then given the fact that ZMF's works super nice with Cayin's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back