ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #7,051 of 7,093
It’s been a while since the Empyrean 2 has come out now. Has anyone had a chance to compare them side by side with the Caldera?
I am going off memory from the demo I had with the Empyrean IIs, so take these brief impressions with a grain of salt. What I heard was with the Duo pads. Compared to the Calderas, the Empy IIs seemed more recessed/distant in the mids, more V-shaped overall. The Calderas sound more neutral across the board, having a balanced representation of bass/mids/treble. I would say they have better staging depth than the Empy IIs (and this extends to other ZMFs with the ADS), but width and height is probably closer to equal. Imaging was also fuzzier/more diffuse on the Empys.

To my ears, both sounded fairly different overall. I didn't really find the Empys to sound competitive at $3k, but they do seem like a good pair for relaxing and having some fun.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #7,052 of 7,093
It’s been a while since the Empyrean 2 has come out now. Has anyone had a chance to compare them side by side with the Caldera?

The only comparison I’ve really seen is on headfonics.
They are nothing alike. I owned a empy II and sold it, but had a caldera on a loaner tour when I had them. In a pure technical class which I was cared about when dropping 3K on a headphone, the empy II was not up to snuff. Beautiful headphone but it’s sacrifices sound quality for beauty.

empy II is a warm leaning sound, but it doesn’t have a lot of separation going for it.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #7,053 of 7,093
This track leans in to everything that is wonderful about Caldera. :L3000:

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #7,055 of 7,093
This track leans in to everything that is wonderful about Caldera. :L3000:

Cinematic Orchestra is awesome. I have most, if not all, of their albums. Several of them are spectacular.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #7,056 of 7,093
I am going off memory from the demo I had with the Empyrean IIs, so take these brief impressions with a grain of salt. What I heard was with the Duo pads. Compared to the Calderas, the Empy IIs seemed more recessed/distant in the mids, more V-shaped overall. The Calderas sound more neutral across the board, having a balanced representation of bass/mids/treble. I would say they have better staging depth than the Empy IIs (and this extends to other ZMFs with the ADS), but width and height is probably closer to equal. Imaging was also fuzzier/more diffuse on the Empys.

To my ears, both sounded fairly different overall. I didn't really find the Empys to sound competitive at $3k, but they do seem like a good pair for relaxing and having some fun.

Thanks for your thoughts! Best comparison I’ve heard yet!

They are nothing alike. I owned a empy II and sold it, but had a caldera on a loaner tour when I had them. In a pure technical class which I was cared about when dropping 3K on a headphone, the empy II was not up to snuff. Beautiful headphone but it’s sacrifices sound quality for beauty.

empy II is a warm leaning sound, but it doesn’t have a lot of separation going for it.

Thanks! I’ll be having a chance to compare as I have them both coming in. Got a great deal on both!

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #7,057 of 7,093
I've been listening to the Caldera on the Envy(with we300b tubes) it's hands down the best headphone I've heard for live rock albums and rock/metal in general. The Envy makes the Caldera sound even more realistic and soundstage is wider with more depth. Treble has zero sibilance with stock pads no matter how bad the recording is.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #7,058 of 7,093
I've been listening to the Caldera on the Envy(with we300b tubes) it's hands down the best headphone I've heard for live rock albums and rock/metal in general. The Envy makes the Caldera sound even more realistic and soundstage is wider with more depth. Treble has zero sibilance with stock pads no matter how bad the recording is.
After months of listening to the stock pads, I put on the thick pads and am suffering from sleep deprivation because I cannot stop listening. I prefer the thick with my set up with the Envy and MU2.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #7,060 of 7,093
Anyone have ideas of the best way to manage the weight when weight sensitive? Got lucky to buy one of the stabilized resin calderas which is going to probably be heavier. I have ZMF atrium opens now at about 550g and I know they also give me this issue. I have a smaller head so I am wearing the headphones at the smallest they can go. Seem to be okay around the 450g headphones to wear all day.

The problem for weight for me is in the lower neck area, no hot spots on top of the head. I am typically wearing whatever headphones for 8+ hours a day without any neck support on the chair itself.

My ideas are getting a magnesium chassis if needed, maybe adding a copilot or pilot pad if that would help, and obviously working on the neck muscles themselves.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #7,061 of 7,093
Anyone have ideas of the best way to manage the weight when weight sensitive? Got lucky to buy one of the stabilized resin calderas which is going to probably be heavier. I have ZMF atrium opens now at about 550g and I know they also give me this issue. I have a smaller head so I am wearing the headphones at the smallest they can go. Seem to be okay around the 450g headphones to wear all day.

The problem for weight for me is in the lower neck area, no hot spots on top of the head. I am typically wearing whatever headphones for 8+ hours a day without any neck support on the chair itself.

My ideas are getting a magnesium chassis if needed, maybe adding a copilot or pilot pad if that would help, and obviously working on the neck muscles themselves.
Co-pilot Pad. I owned an ironwood Verite that weighed over 600g - with the co-pilot pad all I felt was a soft comfy pillow on my head.

As far as the neck, I don't think there's an answer for that except to choose a lighter headphone.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #7,062 of 7,093

I do not have answer, but the only issue I have with the Caldera is the weight. I came from light type headphones. Hope to get used to it. Difficult to limit my time since these by far is the best HP I've heard. Love them

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #7,063 of 7,093
After months of listening to the stock pads, I put on the thick pads and am suffering from sleep deprivation because I cannot stop listening. I prefer the thick with my set up with the Envy and MU2.
Received the Caldera yesterday. Needed to make myself go to bed after hours of listening pleasure. Listening to them on the Dave and Mscaler. Good to hear they sound great on the Envy. Like to audition on the Envy one of these days. Contacted Headamp, but they have yet to return my email, sigh....

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #7,065 of 7,093

You have already written but I wanted to stress on how it is quite important to work on your neck muscles little by little and continuously. In my opinion this is the number one thing to pay attention to
. In time you will realize that they are getting more relaxed when carrying load for extended periods of time. Muscle memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back