ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #7,006 of 7,087
In November most likely.
Fingers crossed that there will be some cool designs/units purchasable at CanJam SoCal!

Due to a financial windfall I will come with an open wallet and ready credit card for once… 😁

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #7,007 of 7,087
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #7,008 of 7,087
Question… Been contemplating adding a Caldera to the stable. I’m just worried about overlap with current phones. I have the AO, Atticus, Diana V2, LCD-4, HD800s, and Stellia currently. Would the CO be too similar to what I have?

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #7,010 of 7,087
Question… Been contemplating adding a Caldera to the stable. I’m just worried about overlap with current phones. I have the AO, Atticus, Diana V2, LCD-4, HD800s, and Stellia currently. Would the CO be too similar to what I have?
LCD4 would be the closest, but no, that is also still far from Caldera. :) AO and Atticus are very different. Caldera is faster and more resolving than them but still retains most of the organic ZMF magic you like in your AO. Diana is just too light and thin sounding in comparison. I wouldn't even mention HD800 or Stellia on the same page as the Caldera. LCD4 is closest due to the slightly warmer nature and superb bass but the Caldera is punchier with more open treble. Caldera has really weighty and impactful sound but at the same time it is surprisingly natural and organic from a planar. IMO the most organic/dynamic sounding planar to date. It has been mentioned many times, but the Caldera doesn't sound like your usual planar. To me it is the best of both worlds: organic nature, timbre and texture familiar from good dynamic drivers (AO) but with planar speed, clarity, detail, separation and bass extension.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #7,012 of 7,087

I think you'd get a very different, and in some case upgraded, headphones wtih the Caldera.

I had the LCD-4, a fun headphone. The Caldera is technically a step up in resolution, offers much more detail and less treble roll off, and overall superior texture/note density and tactility, including in its base.

AO is simply a very different presentation. More decay and reverb, mid bass eleveation, and lush. Caldera retains ZMF's warmth but presents the music with greater speed and resolution, witha. bit more extension in booth ends of the FR spectrum.

HD800s is an entirely different flavor. You'll be getting much more tactile, textured and physical presentation compared to the HD800s lighter notes.

(not enough ear time with the other models to comment)

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #7,013 of 7,087
Head-Fi team will inform all vendors..:wink:
It’s a good thing it is a “targeted strike” for me: Caldera Closed in a wood I like- no more, no less! 🤣

(My fave cable maker, Norne, doesn’t attend CanJams, and I’m all set for amps…)

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #7,014 of 7,087
It’s a good thing it is a “targeted strike” for me: Caldera Closed in a wood I like- no more, no less! 🤣

(My fave cable maker, Norne, doesn’t attend CanJams, and I’m all set for amps…)

It’s a good target 😊❤️

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #7,015 of 7,087
I'm a broken record on this subject. I thought more highly of the stock pads that you appear to--but the Caldera (which I purchased with the Mantle mesh installed) really elevated into something special when I put the lambskin thick pads on it. I agree with everything @betula said about the sound with these pads.

When listening to music on headphones, we typically don't hear it as a succession of checklisted characteristics (ie, tone, soundstage, dynamics, bass/mids/treble)--we hear the gestalt of it, the overall impact of the sound. I found this is where the lambskin thicks changed the Caldera's sound in a remarkable & positive way. As I put it in my review of this headphone,

"The thicks change the whole vibe of this headphone. Especially on music with strong bass and drum parts the sound is spacious and atmospheric, as if the listener is sitting in a corner booth of a dark, smoky club. It's a chill, meditative, hypnotic sound."​

I could have taken that further and said the Caldera with lambskin thick pads made the recording/performance space (the air around instruments & notes) more present and tangible. I "hear the room" more clearly w/the thicks. This benefits large- & small-scale classical, choral music, acoustic jazz & unamplified acoustic music in various genres. FWIW, these are qualities I usually associate w/dynamic drivers, not planars. Perhaps the thick pads facilitate even more of the ADS' excellent soundstage/spatial qualities....? Whatever it is, it works for me.

Those pads are never coming off!
Yeah I tried all the other pads. The thick is the one. Simply Magnificent. TOTL..

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #7,016 of 7,087
It's about time I show photos of the stabilized Caldera I bought at Axpona last Saturday. Bevin said these show units don't have specific names like the shop runs do. As such, I thought it would be fitting to dub this pair "Créme."

The depth and shine these have is unreal, there's almost slight tinges of purple in person. My phone camera doesn't even remotely do them justice. Simply phenomenal, one of the best looking headphones I have seen. I'll probably begin enjoying them when my semester ends. :o2smile:

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_010143804.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240419_010143804.NIGHT.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240419_010243126.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240419_010243126.NIGHT.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240419_010210966.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240419_010210966.NIGHT.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240419_013916538.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240419_013916538.NIGHT.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #7,017 of 7,087
It's about time I show photos of the stabilized Caldera I bought at Axpona last Saturday. Bevin said these show units don't have specific names like the shop runs do. As such, I thought it would be fitting to dub this pair "Créme."

The depth and shine these have is unreal, there's almost slight tinges of purple in person. My phone camera doesn't even remotely do them justice. Simply phenomenal, one of the best looking headphones I have seen. I'll probably begin enjoying them when my semester ends. :o2smile:

I remember that set from the show. I agree that they look even better in person.

Btw, it was nice to meet you at the show.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #7,018 of 7,087

Really nice pair. One of the best I’ve seen. 😎

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #7,019 of 7,087

I've not seen one quite like that. Love how closely the resin color matches the wood color. Congrats!

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #7,020 of 7,087

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back