ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #6,976 of 7,076
The magnesium can be more prone to chipping, but all but one of my ZMFs are magnesium and none have chipping.
I've found it was the older magnesium's that could chip, my Verite is chipped now but the newer Atrium & Caldera are pristine.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #6,978 of 7,076
I wonder if ZMF will ever do an all alloyed metal Caldera just to cut the weight down and see how the sound will perform. Though wood is great but it has a smell and weight to it.
Just my 2 cents, but wood is a part of the "ZMF sound." Wood is also beautiful to look at and touch, more so that any alloy I know of. And ZMF has a history of continually coming up with unfamiliar/beautiful woods, including stabilized versions of wood, and finishing them perfectly. The result: a great many absolute knockout wooden headphones that no other manufacturer can touch, aesthetically or sonically.

Screens are a different topic. I wouldn't mind seeing other alloys in screens, particularly titanium.

But a ZMF without any wood? Not so sure that would be a good thing.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #6,979 of 7,076
Hey, how much does the Caldera with resin and magnesium chassis weight? And is there any disadvantage over aluminium and magnesium chassis or is just the weight and material the difference?
Even if it turns out to be a bit heavy for you, the ZMF Co-Pilot Pad will solve that. I had an ironwood Verite that weighed nearly 700g, and I promise you the co-pilot pad really does feel like a pillow on top of your head.

I'm careful with them and don't let the metal parts hit or scrape other things. Treat them like the $3500+ headphones they are
^^^This.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #6,980 of 7,076
I wonder if ZMF will ever do an all alloyed metal Caldera just to cut the weight down and see how the sound will perform. Though wood is great but it has a smell and weight to it.

This kind of change will impact the headphones FR. A different material will has a different resonance. It will also have a different acoustic impedance.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #6,981 of 7,076
Hey, how much does the Caldera with resin and magnesium chassis weight? And is there any disadvantage over aluminium and magnesium chassis or is just the weight and material the difference?
I couldn’t tell you in grams but in comparison to my standard atrium the weight difference is significant. I have neck issues so it really is a difference maker for me

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #6,982 of 7,076
I also have the DCA Stealth which is 415g. My heaviest ZMF is far more comfortable and with the bendable headband they just fit correctly and sound the same moved in different positions. The Stealth is comfortable, but I find I’m always fiddling with it for seal, sound, and comfort. When the headband is right, weight or material matters much less.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #6,983 of 7,076
I also have the DCA Stealth which is 415g. My heaviest ZMF is far more comfortable and with the bendable headband they just fit correctly and sound the same moved in different positions. The Stealth is comfortable, but I find I’m always fiddling with it for seal, sound, and comfort. When the headband is right, weight or material matters much less.
The ZMF fit is fine sitting up but laying down and wearing them is difficult. It strains the neck.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #6,984 of 7,076

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #6,985 of 7,076
The headband has a 'DEMO' stamp on it (which the seller never told me about), so I believe it was a B stock purchase originally.
No, this is not B-STOCK. "DEMO" are headphones that are sent to dealers free of charge to demonstrate the product to customers. Dealers are not allowed to sell them

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #6,986 of 7,076
Is anyone able to identify these cups and grill exactly? I believe the wood is KOA?

The headband has a 'DEMO' stamp on it (which the seller never told me about), so I believe it was a B stock purchase originally.

Thanks!

PXL_20240416_102842401.jpgPXL_20240416_102934806.jpg
Demo units are sent to reviewers or dealers. They shouldn't be sold. Looks like some burl wood to me, but someone will soon tell you exactly. Demo units are usually stock white or aged oak, so it is interesting that this one is some more special wood.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #6,987 of 7,076

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #6,988 of 7,076
It's come through 2 separate Head-fi sales before it reached me. It wasn't mentioned in the description. Pretty disappointing. Think I understand now why the seller has deleted all pictures, description and even the title of the listing. :rolling_eyes:
There were demo units for sale from ZMF this past ZMF November (unless I’m not remembering correctly, maybe @zach915m can chime in)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #6,989 of 7,076
One question. I don't really use the cables supplied with zmf. Either OCC or standard. But I am curious to know which one is the occ the cloth braided or the plastic finish.

Thanks in advance

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #6,990 of 7,076
One question. I don't really use the cables supplied with zmf. Either OCC or standard. But I am curious to know which one is the occ the cloth braided or the plastic finish.

Thanks in advance
OCC is the rubber-ish plastic one. The standard one is the cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back