ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #6,361 of 7,199
I feel like I have been missing a trick. I have been looking for a top-tier headphone for daily use, bearing in mind my preference leans towards bass driven music (I listen to a lot of hip-hop for example) I felt I was nearing the end of the headphone road with the D8000 Pros. I have never owned a ZMF headphone, and I saw some reviews of the Caldera which states that this was a fantastic sounding headphone for the genres of music I listen to the most. I am tempted to blind-buy a pair, but if anyone can speak from their experiences on this I would be grateful. This would be partnered with a Feliks Euforia tube amp.
Caldera's bass is the best of any headphone I've ever heard. General consensus is that 1266 TC is the ultimate basshead planar, but then you have to deal with the weird form factor and difficult amplification. I would suggest that Caldera is not far behind. Caldera's subbass extends perfectly linearly all the way down and it creates a most satisfying air pressure "subwoofer" effect. The bass isn't elevated, but it doesn't need to be. It's clean, linear, and intense.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #6,362 of 7,199
I feel like I have been missing a trick. I have been looking for a top-tier headphone for daily use, bearing in mind my preference leans towards bass driven music (I listen to a lot of hip-hop for example) I felt I was nearing the end of the headphone road with the D8000 Pros. I have never owned a ZMF headphone, and I saw some reviews of the Caldera which states that this was a fantastic sounding headphone for the genres of music I listen to the most. I am tempted to blind-buy a pair, but if anyone can speak from their experiences on this I would be grateful. This would be partnered with a Feliks Euforia tube amp.
If you're not married to the idea of planar speed then it might also be worth looking at the Atrium Closed since its bass is known to be some of the best available in a headphone. The Caldera Closed is also coming and I wouldn't doubt if it takes the Caldera sound and makes it even harder hitting

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #6,363 of 7,199
Best plannar timbre on the market atm imho. Great detail, lots of energy, still easy to listen, lots of tuning options with pads and meshes.

You will need a different amp unfortunately. OTL don’t go well Cal.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #6,364 of 7,199
Best plannar timbre on the market atm imho. Great detail, lots of energy, still easy to listen, lots of tuning options with pads and meshes.

You will need a different amp unfortunately. OTL don’t go well Cal.
I have only had my amp a month :sob:

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #6,365 of 7,199
I have only had my amp a month :sob:
Euforia is superb with ZMF dynamic driver headphones, but not with Caldera unfortunately

Seing you got Envy: that’s one of the best sounding setups I heard Caldera with though :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #6,366 of 7,199
Euforia is superb with ZMF dynamic driver headphones, but not with Caldera unfortunately

Seing you got Envy: that’s one of the best sounding setups I heard Caldera with though :)
The Envy is a bedroom setup for the Susvara for more critical listening across a wide number of genres. My use case for the Caldera is as a daily headphone for use with the Euforia for fun, bass-driven music like rap. On this basis, would you suggest I look at an alternate to ZMF (although I am really running thin on options..)?

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #6,367 of 7,199
Finally able to try Caldera Thick pad. As expected it produce the biggest soundstage compared to the rest of caldera earpads. Vocal take a little step back, not as dominate as Caldera Suede pad. The attack of each notes seems "sharper" with Thick Pad (almost similar feel to standard caldera pad).

Caldera Suede pad sound "calmer", more relax, more rounded notes, with a bit warmer feeling. Caldera Thick provide more treble energy, and at the same time punchier bass too with a little thinner body on Upper Mid.

I think due to my preference and my current favourite playlist (mostly consist of Olivia Rodrigo, Mxmtoon, Katie Melua and Jamie Wong Li), I appreciate sweeter and more pronounce midrange notes from Caldera Suede for now.
I just tried the suedes today and I have to say, I love them and am pleasantly surprised. I've never preferred the suedes on any other headphone, but then again, Caldera's sound is very much to my taste. I do find them more relaxed and warmer as well. They sound more analog to me - cymbal hits and washes on jazz music sound so good. Perfect later-in-the-evening kind of sound. This is one of the few headphones and one of the few times I've pad rolled that I find myself actually considering selling even more headphones. Between these and the Atrium Closed, I don't find myself wanting to listen to any other headphone.
The Envy is a bedroom setup for the Susvara for more critical listening across a wide number of genres. My use case for the Caldera is as a daily headphone for use with the Euforia for fun, bass-driven music like rap. On this basis, would you suggest I look at an alternate to ZMF (although I am really running thin on options..)?
I've also got Susvara as well. I was initially struck by how incredibly open and life-like it sounded. It took me awhile to appreciate other headphones because of that (everything else sounded veiled in comparison), but the Caldera and Atrium Closed have become two of my favorites and I listen to them much more than Susvara. AC and Caldera are not quite as open sounding, but I find they strike the perfect balance between fun and resolving. Especially the Atrium Closed - the bass is so fun on it, but it never feels like it overshadows the other frequencies. I was listening to a cello concerto on it yesterday and was surprised at how great it sounded. Like, seriously, uniquely good. The orchestra had a little more weight because of the bass, and the imaging was incredible. It was like sitting in your own private acoustically tuned listening room listening to this concerto. I find its characteristics shine through with every genre well in a very fun way.

Have not heard an OTL yet (I know, I know... I think I should've gone OTL maybe instead of Envy since I've got the Woo WA-23), but as @goldwerger and @AudioDuck pointed out, Caldera is not going to fly on it, whereas the Atrium (another great option) or Atrium Closed will.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #6,368 of 7,199
My use case for the Caldera is as a daily headphone for use with the Euforia for fun, bass-driven music like rap. On this basis, would you suggest I look at an alternate to ZMF (although I am really running thin on options..)?
Lurking as a ZMF fan and Atrium Closed owner: Unless you are completely enamored by/married to the sound of planar headphones, I’d strongly suggest the Atrium Closed, potentially in a harder wood.

I’d suggest reading up in the Atrium Closed thread and checking out reviews. As you see in my signature, I use my AC with an OTL amp with rock/pop/EDM and some rap, and it’s truly incredible. There is a gorgeous Redwood AC in classifieds now that should fit your needs perfectly. The Redwood is also light for comfort.

Good luck in your search.

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #6,369 of 7,199

If you’re going to use the Euforia, the AC would be a much better match for it, and will give you ton of bass.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #6,370 of 7,199
Thank you so much, it will be for the Euforia, and so I will likely pick up an AC based on the feedback here. Also, having a closed back is no bad thing, if I do end up keeping the D8000 Pro alongside it.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #6,371 of 7,199
I can't speak to the pairing with the Feliks Euforia, but I also gravitate to lots of bass driven music (dub techno) and have found the Caldera simply amazing. Then again, I don't think I've found any genre that it can't do extremely well.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #6,372 of 7,199
Been listening to metal music, hardcore and a bunch of similar genres on my Caldera this week and I LOVE it! Everything just sounds natural with the right amount of impact. Drums sound nutty (in a good way)! Cant recommend Caldera enough!

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #6,373 of 7,199
I just tried the suedes today and I have to say, I love them and am pleasantly surprised. I've never preferred the suedes on any other headphone, but then again, Caldera's sound is very much to my taste. I do find them more relaxed and warmer as well. They sound more analog to me - cymbal hits and washes on jazz music sound so good. Perfect later-in-the-evening kind of sound. This is one of the few headphones and one of the few times I've pad rolled that I find myself actually considering selling even more headphones. Between these and the Atrium Closed, I don't find myself wanting to listen to any other headphone.

Truly agree with your finding. If I have to describe the caldera suede pad in short: Kind of tubey sound, but without tube effect haha

So far Suede provide the best vocal based on my preference, especially female voice.

P.s: I never liked any suede pads to any other ZMFs, so it's kind of new experience for me as well

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #6,374 of 7,199
As an avid thick pad user, I popped the suede pads back on my Caldera to check these recent claims. :)
The suedes are nice sounding pads, and mids/vocals are indeed very pleasant on them. Mids are a little more forward compared to the thicks and nicely presented, a little better than on the thick ones. The whole sound is a little softer with mellower edges. Where I personally hear the suede falls a bit short is bass and treble definition. Bass on the thick pads sounds clearer and punchier which I love. Yes, vocals are a little bit further away, but in general I prefer this larger stage.
It is great to have so many options with ZMF earpads and interesting to see, that most owners usually settle with one pair of pads as their main preference. I am without doubt in the thick pad camp, but I have to add that the choice also depends on system synergy and favoured music genres.
Well, everyone, keep enjoying your customisable beauties! :)

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #6,375 of 7,199
Few photos of custom made Sirmilik, which reminds the Banff on purpose.

1000010743.jpg

1000010748.jpg

1000010750.jpg

1000010749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back