ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #6,346 of 7,217
I have a question for fellow owners of the Caldera that use it with the Cayin HA-300, also the Feliks Envy & Woo WA5, same thing in this case.

What impedance setting do you use?
Use whatever sounds best to you!
Would have to do a proper volume matched test to be sure since higher volumes are known to make things sound "better" but I use high impedance on the HA300mk2 for everything I have except IEMs. For the Caldera, it could just be a mental thing. "crank it up to 11 and feed the planar beast" but I seem to genuinely prefer it.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #6,347 of 7,217
Could someone give me th link of wher to find info. on how to equalize the Caldera to Harmon Target Curve. Not sure I'll like it but I want to try.

I have a 1266TC which is the fastest most detailed punchy, biggest headstage headphone I ever heard- but I am not crazy about the FR- and I found someone posted a harmon target adjustment.. I tried it and love it. So I want to try this trick on the Caldera. I know the DCA Stealth already has this built in- and I love that headphone..

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #6,348 of 7,217
I just fund this by zach:

BONUS II: If you want a Caldera that conforms closest to harman, use the ultra perf pads, gently EQ to the curve in the area (less has to be done) and then EQ the bass up as the ultra perf will cause a roll-off below 70 HZ. I know about 2 out of hundreds of owners who prefer this, but if that's what you're into, it's the easiest way to get there.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #6,349 of 7,217
Feb 1, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #6,350 of 7,217
It's got some nicks, some spots that look like can be cleaned up with some alcohol and a fiber cloth.

Can you take a look at this and try it out and make sure it works?

If not has he sold anything in the classifieds, audiogon, or EBay, so you can make sure he has a good reputation as a seller? If not, I would be worried about getting scammed.
Hi, thanks for the answer.
Yes, he has good reputation as a seller. He's into guitars and guitar amps. Only top gear. But a good client of him asked him to try sell the Vio.
The guy is all clear, good talk, good speech, lives close and he has been very open to bring the device at home, test, try all the time I need and stuff.
He has been very focused and resolutive about all questions I asked to ask back to the owner and reply me with quality answers.
He's about 50 yo and seems a nice, professional and music lover. Just not an audio geek, more into guitars and amps.
He's got a little shop on where he sells stuff he buys from other people. Only second hand, limited edition and stuff.
His list of clients seems to be elite. He has shown (masking names and addresses) many many clients and stuff he's moving.
Seems legit.
But the ultimate test will be this Saturday. We have arranged a good 4-5 hours session to test every little spec of the amp and do my audition relaxed. He had no trouble with that and seem very confident.
You can also hear from the way he's talking passion for his job and to bring people what they need.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #6,351 of 7,217
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/Kuulokenurkka/over-ear/ZMF Caldera (lambskin earpads)

it's "Harman" and be aware there are several profiles for the Caldera depending on the pads installed. The link I gave you is for the stock pads.
Thank you. I followed the Parmametric EQ instructions and it worked. I like the Harmon Tonality better than the stock.... I dont see where it says that this is the Harmon Target- but it does indeed sound like it.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #6,353 of 7,217
Hows the ZMF Grand Palladium cable? Anyone has it. How was it?
IMG-20240124-WA0004.jpg

Still on burning process. (Nevermind the plastic tube outside of the plugs, it's a mod I've done). For now it's a superb cable.
I haven't compared it to my previous daily Forza audioworks Noir Hybrid hpc. But construction and pairing with caldera seems like a glove.
Later this weekend I intend to do some proper comparison.
Also got a pure copper from corpse audio.
Will report differences (if any) between silver copper palladium - silver copper - copper from the three cables.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #6,354 of 7,217
That’s what he said.

I have a 16ohm output on my ovation and I prefer that to the 8 and the 32.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone back and forth between 8 / 16 / 32 on my Agartha (and which one ends up sounding best with the Caldera)

IMO it’s somewhat dependent on choice of driver

I’ve landed on 16 Ohm when running a pair of Mullard VR135’s as a driver (6SN7 equivalent)

32 Ohm is nice, but I feel 16 Ohm has a bit more body and warmth. Better bass response overall on 16 Ohm. 16 Ohm is a more rich, full, cohesive sound compared to 32 Ohm. Mids are more forward on 32 Ohm, but a bit thin overall compared to 16 Ohm

8 Ohm doesn’t sound right to my ears unless I’m running a 6SL7 as a driver

IMG_4676.jpeg

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #6,355 of 7,217
IMG-20240124-WA0004.jpg
Still on burning process. (Nevermind the plastic tube outside of the plugs, it's a mod I've done). For now it's a superb cable.
I haven't compared it to my previous daily Forza audioworks Noir Hybrid hpc. But construction and pairing with caldera seems like a glove.
Later this weekend I intend to do some proper comparison.
Also got a pure copper from corpse audio.
Will report differences (if any) between silver copper palladium - silver copper - copper from the three cables.
Great! Looking forward to it. Im buying the silver Grand Palladium soon. Wonder is it better than Letrik S?

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #6,356 of 7,217
Wonder is it better than Letrik S?
It's been my experience, not only with cables, but with tubes, DACs, amps, not to mention personal preferences...that system synergy is the most important factor.
For example, if you have a bright, incisive system and you're looking for more warmth and a more laid-back sound, then the Lektrik S might not be the best choice.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #6,357 of 7,217
Finally able to try Caldera Thick pad. As expected it produce the biggest soundstage compared to the rest of caldera earpads. Vocal take a little step back, not as dominate as Caldera Suede pad. The attack of each notes seems "sharper" with Thick Pad (almost similar feel to standard caldera pad).

Caldera Suede pad sound "calmer", more relax, more rounded notes, with a bit warmer feeling. Caldera Thick provide more treble energy, and at the same time punchier bass too with a little thinner body on Upper Mid.

I think due to my preference and my current favourite playlist (mostly consist of Olivia Rodrigo, Mxmtoon, Katie Melua and Jamie Wong Li), I appreciate sweeter and more pronounce midrange notes from Caldera Suede for now.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #6,358 of 7,217
Does anyone have a pair of Caldera thicks they want to sell? If so, please PM me. Eager to try them.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #6,359 of 7,217
I wasn't a fan of the thick pads. The stock pads to me were perfect from the first listen. More detailed, colored, mid-forward, and punchy.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #6,360 of 7,217
I feel like I have been missing a trick. I have been looking for a top-tier headphone for daily use, bearing in mind my preference leans towards bass driven music (I listen to a lot of hip-hop for example) I felt I was nearing the end of the headphone road with the D8000 Pros. I have never owned a ZMF headphone, and I saw some reviews of the Caldera which states that this was a fantastic sounding headphone for the genres of music I listen to the most. I am tempted to blind-buy a pair, but if anyone can speak from their experiences on this I would be grateful. This would be partnered with a Feliks Euforia tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back