ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #2,476 of 7,059
I was able to track down my Caldera package this morning. I'm still getting a feel for them, but I had a question for any Ampsandsound owners. Which output do you prefer? I have been back and forth between 8 ohm and 32 ohm so far. 32 ohm is noticeably louder on Bigger Ben, but can't really decided which is actually better. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #2,477 of 7,059
I was able to track down my Caldera package this morning. Still getting a feel for them. I'm still getting a feel for them, but I had a question for any Ampsandsound owners. Which output do you prefer? I have been back and forth between 8 ohm and 32 ohm so far. 32 ohm is noticeably louder on Bigger Ben, but can't really decided which is actually better. Thoughts?
Glad you got your Caldera’s.

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #2,478 of 7,059
Just watched Amplify Audio Reviews and he said the Caldera works also well with the Feliks Euforia AE. Did I understand this right?

That’s what he said.
I was able to track down my Caldera package this morning. Still getting a feel for them. I'm still getting a feel for them, but I had a question for any Ampsandsound owners. Which output do you prefer? I have been back and forth between 8 ohm and 32 ohm so far. 32 ohm is noticeably louder on Bigger Ben, but can't really decided which is actually better. Thoughts?
I have a 16ohm output on my ovation and I prefer that to the 8 and the 32.

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #2,479 of 7,059
Honestly I’m still not sure. I default to the 32 most often but have tried the 16 and 8 a few times as well. Perhaps I just like more volume :). Let me know if you determine anything yourself!

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,480 of 7,059
I find with tube amps that have a lot of gain, the more I can cut down the gain, the better dynamic range I experience. I generally use lower gain tubes that my amp is compatible with as a way to increase dynamic range. But also will use the impedance knob on my HP8 or my DAC to cut down the voltage from time to time. I don’t own a Ampsandsound tube amp, but imagine the same rules will apply. I don’t know how much gain the Bigger Ben has, but these are ways you can play with gain and impedance matching to find the best sound for your situation.

Dec 15, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #2,481 of 7,059
Well they are definitely engaging. I just noticed my stutter in my last post(edited already). I was listening :o2smile: while I typed that and they pulled me right out of my train of thought. Had me distracted to the point that I didn't even proof before I posted. They are growing on me fast.

@dfiled , @DenverW , @geoffalter11 , Thanks for the great replies. I switched around a little more I can live with any of the three, 8, 16, or 32 and 100 is not terrible, but there is a noted loss in precision with impact and dynamics. So far I think 32 has a little more balance if I try to volume match and really compare. I want to say that maybe 8ohm has a little more punch on the bottom that 32, but 32 has better dynamics distributed throughout. Particularly, the upper mids/highs seem more vibrant? IDK for sure at this point. It's hard to put into words what I hear that is different with 32 ohm. Perhaps it will make more sense once I have a chance to roll pads or tubes.

Geofallter11, I too like to use lower gain tubes at times. It really does help, but I hadn't thought about the lower impedance outputs having the same/similar effect. I'll try to pay attention to see if I can pick that out. Thanks!

Dec 15, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #2,482 of 7,059
Just got a shipping notification for my Caldera......

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #2,484 of 7,059
I want to echo what some others have said: don’t assume the calderas will knock your socks off from first listen. They have a confusing mix of attributes that can be disorienting at first but slowly grow on you even if they don’t blow you away immediately.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #2,485 of 7,059
I want to echo what some others have said: don’t assume the calderas will knock your socks off from first listen. They have a confusing mix of attributes that can be disorienting at first but slowly grow on you even if they don’t blow you away immediately.
They knocked my socks off but mainly just because I was wanting to have my socks knocked off in the exact ways they excel

Your experience sounds similar to when I got my VCs though, wasn’t impressed at first but they are now one of my favorite headphones, even after hearing caldera

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #2,486 of 7,059
They knocked my socks off but mainly just because I was wanting to have my socks knocked off in the exact ways they excel

Your experience sounds similar to when I got my VCs though, wasn’t impressed at first but they are now one of my favorite headphones, even after hearing caldera
I think folks are reacting to the upper midrange and lower treble which are extremely linear. At first listen it sounds a smidge flat. Most TOTL Planars present much hotter or more lively in this area. Once I adjusted to their tuning I have grown to love this in the Caldera. They are extremely realistic sounding. Plus, the bass is so good they just flow. The drivers mixed with the ADS makes them sound completely different from any other planar out there. But, YMMV…

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #2,487 of 7,059
The main goal was to make sure that you held on to them long enough. There is no way I was going to have you not like them after requesting so many reviews! :)

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #2,488 of 7,059
Well they are definitely engaging. I just noticed my stutter in my last post(edited already). I was listening :o2smile: while I typed that and they pulled me right out of my train of thought. Had me distracted to the point that I didn't even proof before I posted. They are growing on me fast.

@dfiled , @DenverW , @geoffalter11 , Thanks for the great replies. I switched around a little more I can live with any of the three, 8, 16, or 32 and 100 is not terrible, but there is a noted loss in precision with impact and dynamics. So far I think 32 has a little more balance if I try to volume match and really compare. I want to say that maybe 8ohm has a little more punch on the bottom that 32, but 32 has better dynamics distributed throughout. Particularly, the upper mids/highs seem more vibrant? IDK for sure at this point. It's hard to put into words what I hear that is different with 32 ohm. Perhaps it will make more sense once I have a chance to roll pads or tubes.

Geofallter11, I too like to use lower gain tubes at times. It really does help, but I hadn't thought about the lower impedance outputs having the same/similar effect. I'll try to pay attention to see if I can pick that out. Thanks!
I'm generally using lower gain tubes as well; I have more of them from my previous amps, and also because I tend to listen at very reasonable levels and even with lower gain tubes I'm barely touching 9 pm on the volume knob at the 32 ohm tap.
I think I've decided I like the 32 tap the best at this point as well. Once again it could be 100% placebo because I haven't done any blind testing, but I do seem to feel like there are more dynamics with the caldera.

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #2,489 of 7,059

Welcome. Enjoy and have fun! I love fiddling with all the knobs and tweaking things around to see how they affect the sound. Tube amps have way more flexibility in my experience. More ways to play with dynamic range. My tube amp has a lot of gain. It takes a 12AX7 driver tube. But is compatible with 12AT7s and their 40db lower gain. Plus the impedance knob and then the preamp in my DAC which is always engaged. Leaves lots of options.

The Caldera isn’t hard to power but loves some good ole fashioned current at the right places. I prefer the Caldera with both of my SS amps, but do find it sounds lovely with my tube amp as well. Tough choices…Definitely first world problems around these parts…:)

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #2,490 of 7,059
Same here. It’s got a blend of dynamics, timbre and staging that is just not there with so many other TOTL headphones. Very happy that I took the plunge to buy it blind, but people should definitely still try them before they buy the caldera. It’s got a very unique sound that may not be for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back