ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 14, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #2,461 of 7,059
Which track? :)
Just sent it to you. When I plugged in the CFA3 I was getting no music out of Roon. My DAC and iMac weren’t talking to one another. So, I restarted everything and began with that Bon Iver cover I just sent you. Great tune…

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #2,462 of 7,059

That's a cool track. Interesting to hear the maracas between around time stamp 2:05 to 2:15 and for next minute the hi-hats. This showcases the CFA-3 resolution that seems to me to be extra capable in resolving higher frequencies (and as a result creates a sense of more separation/space).

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #2,463 of 7,059
That's a cool track. Interesting to hear the Maracas between around time stamp 2:05 to 2:15 and for next minute the hi-hats. This showcases the CFA-3 resolution that seems to me to be extra capable in resolving higher frequencies (and as a result create a sense of more separate/space).
Yes, I agree that the CFA3 showcases resolution most amps miss in the higher frequencies.

I’ve come to learn that the best pieces of gear create space through greater resolution in those frequencies. It is the difference between really good and great gear. The CFA3 is also bringing out more of my DACs capabilities as well. Overall it is a really amazing amp. I never thought I would unseat my Spring 1. Granted I have the only Spring 1 left as far as I can tell so I don’t ever see myself letting it go.

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #2,464 of 7,059
FedEx is such a nightmare where I live. They came to my house to deliver other packages today, and did so, but couldn't be bothered to ring the bell for a signature so they took my headphones back to the depot. My account has delivery instructions to always come to the back door and ring the bell. I swear they get worse every time I have an important package. From now on, if I can't get some other shipping method, I just won't order.

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #2,465 of 7,059
FedEx is such a nightmare where I live. They came to my house to deliver other packages today, and did so, but couldn't be bothered to ring the bell for a signature so they took my headphones back to the depot. My account has delivery instructions to always come to the back door and ring the bell. I swear they get worse every time I have an important package. From now on, if I can't get some other shipping method, I just won't order.
Big fan of UPS. Fed Ex is tough right now. Super inconsistent at times.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #2,466 of 7,059
Big fan of UPS. Fed Ex is tough right now. Super inconsistent at times.
Last time they just left them outside in the weather and didn't even bother trying to follow procedure and get a signature, This time, they still didn't follow procedure and ring the bell. It's like they are determined to be f*ck ups. I'm an hour away from the depot in Myrtle, but when I called to make sure they hold them there, instead them putting them on the truck again and the same thing happening tomorrow, they said that they would. Then I get a notice on the app that a new shipping label was printed for my package and that it's expected to ship from Lyons IL just like everything started over. They currently don't know where my headphones are. Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe these losers.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #2,467 of 7,059
Last time they just left them outside in the weather and didn't even bother trying to follow procedure and get a signature, This time, they still didn't follow procedure and ring the bell. It's like they are determined to be f*ck ups. I'm an hour away from the depot in Myrtle, but when I called to make sure they hold them there, instead them putting them on the truck again and the same thing happening tomorrow, they said that they would. Then I get a notice on the app that a new shipping label was printed for my package and that it's expected to ship from Lyons IL just like everything started over. They currently don't know where my headphones are. Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe these losers.
So sorry! Been there more times than I can count. Best of luck. I assume you are waiting on a pair of Caldera's?

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #2,468 of 7,059
Thanks! And a very cool collection of amps!!

right you were getting that CFA3.. :) Sibce I got mine a week ago been testing it. A real a contrast to my tube amp (Nirvana). On the whole, I think I'll continue to prefer tthe Nirvana, but I'm finding some specific areas where each does better. I think the CFA3 has the upperhand in complex/very layer music - such as classical orchestra or big band jazz music - where its slightly leaner/clearner edge provides a touch of air, clarity, and opennes; while the Nirvana has notably better textured bass and that delicious tonality and holographic feel of a great tube amp that I'm in love with. If I listen to either on its own I don't miss antyhing, until I compare to the other, then these distinctions in voicing become very clear .

I never had a chance to every listen to either the Cembalo or the Icon - that's very good to know...

Please keep us posted on your impressions of the CFA3 as they evolve.. will do the same.. :)
Thank you! I feel lucky to have the amps I have collected over time. I saw the new Nirvana was released. I wonder if they made any internal changes or basically just the case work, which is not as nice as the wooden ones. The CFA3 and Nirvana make for a mighty fine amp combo. I think you got it all covered.

The CFA3 is completely different from my other two amps which makes for great comparisons and listening. The Caldera, Radiante and 4z are quite happy thus far. I have yet to try the Atrium and my Auteur OG. That will be tonight, I hope.

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #2,469 of 7,059
Thank you! I feel lucky to have the amps I have collected over time. I saw the new Nirvana was released. I wonder if they made any internal changes or basically just the case work, which is not as nice as the wooden ones. The CFA3 and Nirvana make for a mighty fine amp combo. I think you got it all covered.

Looks like Mark 4 is identical inside to Mark 1, 2, and 3... gained a pre-out, and lost the beautiful wood finish. Hanging on to mine..:wink:

As far as the Caldera, both drive is beautifully (and diffferently)! The Caldera doesn't tremendous power, but it scales tremendously!

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #2,470 of 7,059
Looks like Mark 4 is identical inside to Mark 1, 2, and 3... gained a pre-out, and lost the beautiful wood finish. Hanging on to mine..:wink:

As far as the Caldera, both drive is beautifully (and diffferently)! The Caldera doesn't tremendous power, but it scales tremendously!
I agree. You are one of the lucky ones to have a wood version. Such a beautiful amp with amazing SQ.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #2,471 of 7,059
So sorry! Been there more times than I can count. Best of luck. I assume you are waiting on a pair of Caldera's?
Yes, I think they are transferring them to a nearby Dollar General now, which has a Fed on-site location and I can pick them up there tomorrow. The app still says that I have to pick them up at the depot. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,472 of 7,059
I've started routing packages from zmf to the local fedex store so I can go pick them up after work. I wasn't having all the trouble you were, but I'd still be missing packages because they'd come when I wasn't around to sign. It was just easier knowing that when they got in town I could just take 10 minutes and drive over.

Dec 15, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #2,473 of 7,059
My Caldera arrived yesterday and I still don't have everything setup yet I've just really been able to look at them so far. The color seems to shift a bit depending on light sometimes you do see those purplish hues and sometimes it looks more reddish brown as you move them. Really loving the figuring as well and it kind of reminds me of the leopard wood around the edges it gets really dense and compressed and I overall really love the overall look in general. Also just the complete package of the grey chassis, steel rods and grill with the wood and I think there is a touch of color to the fabric behind the grill there is a really good cohesive design, I do normally like all of the customization options but I don't think I'd change anything with these so I think you did a great job with the design choices.

I was a little worried about weight but these felt like the most comfortable headphone I have and I think it's a combination of the crescent strap and the depth of the stock pads just has a really nice amount of clamp for my head. Hopefully I like the sound of the stock pads because the fit of them for me is great. I haven't really worn them for a decent amount of time yet but I feel like my leopard wood closed are heavier or at least in the same ballpark. As far as pads I have the stock, the cowhide and thikk, in retrospect I wish I would have also picked up the suede based on reviews but I just always tend to prefer leather on all of my other ZMF so I skipped it but it does seem like Caldera may be one that I like suede, so I may have to check that out once they are available. In general I tend to like the thinner leather pads as I really like dynamics and transients to be sharp but we'll see how it goes.

Hoping to have everything set up to listen tonight, probably a tough day of work tomorrow and then pad roll into the weekend!

IMG_0830.jpg

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #2,474 of 7,059
Just watched Amplify Audio Reviews and he said the Caldera works also well with the Feliks Euforia AE. Did I understand this right?

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #2,475 of 7,059
My Caldera arrived yesterday and I still don't have everything setup yet I've just really been able to look at them so far. The color seems to shift a bit depending on light sometimes you do see those purplish hues and sometimes it looks more reddish brown as you move them. Really loving the figuring as well and it kind of reminds me of the leopard wood around the edges it gets really dense and compressed and I overall really love the overall look in general. Also just the complete package of the grey chassis, steel rods and grill with the wood and I think there is a touch of color to the fabric behind the grill there is a really good cohesive design, I do normally like all of the customization options but I don't think I'd change anything with these so I think you did a great job with the design choices.

I was a little worried about weight but these felt like the most comfortable headphone I have and I think it's a combination of the crescent strap and the depth of the stock pads just has a really nice amount of clamp for my head. Hopefully I like the sound of the stock pads because the fit of them for me is great. I haven't really worn them for a decent amount of time yet but I feel like my leopard wood closed are heavier or at least in the same ballpark. As far as pads I have the stock, the cowhide and thikk, in retrospect I wish I would have also picked up the suede based on reviews but I just always tend to prefer leather on all of my other ZMF so I skipped it but it does seem like Caldera may be one that I like suede, so I may have to check that out once they are available. In general I tend to like the thinner leather pads as I really like dynamics and transients to be sharp but we'll see how it goes.

Hoping to have everything set up to listen tonight, probably a tough day of work tomorrow and then pad roll into the weekend!

IMG_0830.jpg
That's an excellent image, well done. The Kingwood looks to die for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back