ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #2,341 of 7,606
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #2,342 of 7,606
I would think that comparison would be tough being open versus closed back.
I know, and bio vs planar but I just love the D9200 and always want to know what might unseat it.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,343 of 7,606
I know, and bio vs planar but I just love the D9200 and always want to know what might unseat it.
A different closed back…:). The VC, or Radiante would be good comparisons to your Denon.

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #2,344 of 7,606
I’ll give it shot after hearing the Caldera’s and owning the LCD-24’s for a couple of months. What immediately stands out is the meaty, weighty, and balanced sound of the Caldera’s. The sub bass is taunt and impactful. The midrange grabs your attention and holds it. The depth of sound and staging is incredible. The Caldear’s are completely linear across the frequency spectrum. No frequency really stands out and they have all the technicalities you'd expect from a TOTL planar magnetic headphones. The Caldera’s have the speed, impact, clarity, staging depth/width and musicality to make it one of the most musically enjoyable headphones I've heard. The Caldera's new dampening system really stands out and must be heard. Music just surrounds you.

The LCD-24’s in comparison has rolled off sub bass, but has other technical features that are improved over the Caldera's. The Caldera's are fast but the LCD-24's are faster and more transparent. The LCD-24 also have more resolution, which is the trade off from the musical nature of the Caldera's. The LCD-24's are not thin sounding and they are musical in their own right. They are just not as musically engaging as the Caldera's. Another differentiating aspect of the LCD-24 is their transient speed. They are snappier and more crisp sounding than the Caldera's in stock form. The LCD-24's has a more nuanced midrange due to it tuning. Where I feel the Caldera's are tuned musical without the loss of detail and clarity, the LCD-24's are tuned for detail extraction while maintaining some musicality. It's this difference in design/tuning philosophies that make these headphones more complementary than direct competitors to my ears.

With that said, both headphones benefit from a little EQ. The Caldera's can be made to have more midrange grit and bite, which makes them superb sounding with metal music. The sub bass thump from double bass drums is the most realistic dipiction of drums I've heard. The LCD-24's can be made to have more sub bass. It still won't be as textured as the Cladera's, but sub bass volume and tactility is greatly improved. Both headphones are worthy of ownership. The Caldera's are number one on my "to get" list as my next headphone.
These are great impressions Tim. Thank you for answering the call! I haven't heard the LCD-24, and I know that it is a limited edition headphone with very few in circulation. They don't come up for sale often. That must mean those who have a pair like em and don't let them go.

In my upcoming review I will tackle the differences between the Caldera with the LCD-4z, which makes for a great comparison. I have played with the Caldera with and without EQ, and I just love the headphone anyway I slice it. It is an extremely balanced headphone with great technical chops. It is fun having a ZMF in house that takes to my SS amp better than my tube amp. It sounds sensational on my tube amp as well, but my SS amp is pushing current that matches the spec of the Caldera perfectly. This headphone feels like it was built for my Spring 1. Detail is top notch, bass is fast, and transient attack is razor sharp. The headphone takes great to down beats, and the moment where a band drops into the pocket and takes flight. I love that feeling of being "right there" as the band drops into the groove. Imaging is pinpoint, and that ADS provides the perfect amount of front to back depth to really open up the midrange. All instruments are perfectly placed within their own space. I love this headphone.

I love my 4z too. I actually put it up for an interest check tonight, although I don't actually think I can let it go. I am addicted to the physical nature and musicality of the 4z. I happen to be a lover of the old Audeze house sound. The Caldera doesn't take a back seat to any headphone, though. It sits proudly at the table with the best of the best. Who is at that table is purely subjective. But, in the planar world that is the D8K Pro, Susvara, Abyss TC, Caldera, LFF Code X and the LCD-4z. I haven't heard the Kennerton Thror, so I can't speak to its seat. But, that is my table. The Code X isn't made any longer and they are disappearing from the world, but that headphone is just special. It deserves a seat at my table. And I would feed them all a 5 course tasting meal...:).

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #2,345 of 7,606
I love the way the Caldera portrays percussion. Especially when there are two drummers. Both are easily discernible and I love the power of the strike and hearing both drummers so easily and articulately. Both sit right behind the guitar and keyboard player in the center and right channel. They are literally right behind them in my head. I can hear the depth of the stage. I love that type of instrument separation. Coupled with lightning fast transience and you have a slice of heaven. :)

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #2,346 of 7,606
I’ll give it shot after hearing the Caldera’s and owning the LCD-24’s for a couple of months. What immediately stands out is the meaty, weighty, and balanced sound of the Caldera’s. The sub bass is taunt and impactful. The midrange grabs your attention and holds it. The depth of sound and staging is incredible. The Caldera’s are completely linear across the frequency spectrum. No frequency really stands out and they have all the technicalities you'd expect from a TOTL planar magnetic headphones. The Caldera’s have the speed, impact, clarity, staging depth/width and musicality to make it one of the most musically enjoyable headphones I've heard. The Caldera's new dampening system really stands out and must be heard. Music just surrounds you.

The LCD-24’s in comparison has rolled off sub bass, but has other technical features that are improved over the Caldera's. The Caldera's are fast but the LCD-24's are faster and more transparent. The LCD-24 also have more resolution, which is the trade off from the musical nature of the Caldera's. The LCD-24's are not thin sounding and they are musical in their own right. They are just not as musically engaging as the Caldera's. Another differentiating aspect of the LCD-24 is their transient speed. They are snappier and more crisp sounding than the Caldera's in stock form. The LCD-24's has a more nuanced midrange due to it tuning. Where I feel the Caldera's are tuned musical without the loss of detail and clarity, the LCD-24's are tuned for detail extraction while maintaining some musicality. It's this difference in design/tuning philosophies that make these headphones more complementary than direct competitors to my ears.

With that said, both headphones benefit from a little EQ. The Caldera's can be made to have more midrange grit and bite, which makes them superb sounding with metal music. The sub bass thump from double bass drums is the most realistic depiction of drums I've heard. The LCD-24's can be made to have more sub bass. It still won't be as textured as the Caldera's, but sub bass volume and tactility is greatly improved. Both headphones are worthy of ownership. The Caldera's are number one on my "to get" list as my next headphone.
Can't thank you enough.

Dec 10, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #2,348 of 7,606
The D9200 is an excellent little closed back, but in my opinion it just does not play with the big open back TOTL boys out there.
I was looking at it from a pure enjoyment perspective, much like with the Elite, which I know is subjective. I agree the D9200 doesn't compete in terms of technicalities.

So is the Caldera 'fun' might have been a better question.

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #2,349 of 7,606
67E2C8E1-C627-4DB6-83A8-5512A301C3ED.jpeg
Alright everyone, Stock or Suede, what’s your preference ready GO…

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #2,350 of 7,606
Dec 10, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,353 of 7,606
Alright everyone, Stock or Suede, what’s your preference ready GO…
I initially had trouble with the suede sounding too muffled/woolly. I think after some burn-in hours (20ish), that has improved significantly. I've been trying the suede for the past 2 days again to see how I feel about it now, and while it's not bad for most genres, I think I'm still preferring the stock lamb instead. On my ears, the suede still tames the highs a good amount, and while that can be a blessing for some poorly mixed album with harsh highs, I generally like my treble.

I also feel that the tactility of percussion just takes a hit from the suedes, and are no longer as enjoyable to listen to as the lamb. By no means is it unenjoyable – I just feel it was a differentiating quality of the Caldera (lamb) compared to my other headphones, and suedes bring percussion tactility to about the same level as the other headphones. Bass also feels like a bit more "soaked up" by the fabric, too (less quantity). Overall, they are comfortable and nice sounding – but I still prefer the lamb so far.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,354 of 7,606
On my ears, the suede still tames the highs a good amount
I hear this differently, actually! I find the high end more satisfying and very well extended on the suedes.

I also feel that the tactility of percussion just takes a hit from the suedes

100% agree with this! But I also think the tactility is even better with the Caldera slim pads.

Bass also feels like a bit more "soaked up" by the fabric, too (less quantity)

Agree with this too. If you like hefty bass, other pads will definitely be a better match for you.

Stock or Suede, what’s your preference

The harder question for me would be suede or Caldera thin! Very different presentations, but I like them almost equally.

Fortunately, the pads are significantly easier to swap on the Caldera than any other ZMF to date. I think I will regularly pad swap with these, whereas with every other ZMF I found my favorite pad and never looked back.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,355 of 7,606
I initially had trouble with the suede sounding too muffled/woolly. I think after some burn-in hours (20ish), that has improved significantly. I've been trying the suede for the past 2 days again to see how I feel about it now, and while it's not bad for most genres, I think I'm still preferring the stock lamb instead. On my ears, the suede still tames the highs a good amount, and while that can be a blessing for some poorly mixed album with harsh highs, I generally like my treble.

I also feel that the tactility of percussion just takes a hit from the suedes, and are no longer as enjoyable to listen to as the lamb. By no means is it unenjoyable – I just feel it was a differentiating quality of the Caldera (lamb) compared to my other headphones, and suedes bring percussion tactility to about the same level as the other headphones. Bass also feels like a bit more "soaked up" by the fabric, too (less quantity). Overall, they are comfortable and nice sounding – but I still prefer the lamb so far.
Agree, although I think suede gives more immersion and brings details closer to the ear and sounds great specifically with vocals. The lambskin seems to be the best for mostly EVERYTHING but the suede adds that magic to vocals and immersion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back