ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #2,011 of 7,113
I'm also a bit sensitive to shoutiness in the upper mids, but I like them to be on the edge. For example, I cannot stand the upper mids of the HD600, the Focal Clear, Utopia and the older generation of Grado headphones. But the upper mids of the Atrium and the Grado RS2x are perfect for my tastes.
The mids/upper mids on atrium are great. The mids on caldera are very good the upper mids may be a touch laid back comparatively but I would not call caldera mids in general laid back.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #2,012 of 7,113
Dear ColSaulTigh,
I really admire that Zach replied. If I like the answers or not I will keep to my self.
I do not admire your attitude - typical 'shut up' rudeness. Who are you to tell what is for me or not!? How come that you decided that I have Hifiman for a benchmark but not Denon, Focal or Stax. Poor reading of the questions, poor assumptions ColSaulTigh.
Well, let me put it another way, then...

Your attitude has been one of a pissy whiner for days. You have nitpicked very minor things in a public forum without doing the first bit of due diligence. You come across as rude, entitled, and not appreciative of the info both @zach915m and this community have offered here.

You are simply not the target audience for this company or these headphones, and your response is not one that's usually tolerated in this community. Feel free to respond, however, I personally will be blocking you.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #2,013 of 7,113
I find it a bit perplexing that people are willing to make choices on headphones based on issues with tuning (I want it brighter, I want more/less upper mids, etc). Those issues can be addressed so effectively with EQ. If a headphone ticks all the other boxes, the fact that the tuning is not perfect for your preferences shouldn’t be too much of an impediment.

For those who eschew EQ but are willing to pay hundreds on a copper/silver cable that they believe provides warmer/brighter sound, I can only shrug —we’re never going to convince each other I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #2,014 of 7,113
A couple years ago I was researching headphones to upgrade to from a Focal Clear. I found a lot of options, but quite a few people were bringing up the Auteur and Vérité and how fantastic their experiences were with ZMF. I have to admit I was hesitant to pay $2,500 for a headphone, but the amount of positive comments were overwhelming. I pulled the trigger on a Vérité Open a few days later and oh boy am I glad I did.

That experience led me to eventually buy an Aeolus, then a Vérité Closed, then an Atrium, then a Hifiman HE1000se for a vastly different flavor. While the HE1000se was a detail monster and enjoyable in its own ways, I still preferred the punch and richness my ZMF's supplied (edit: Oh and can't forget the build quality. ZMF was a step-up there too). This Caldera release sounds like it combines everything I love about both: Planar resolution and technicalities with ZMF tonality. I will definitely be grabbing one someday. Not only do ZMF headphones sound great, but their customer service is fantastic and they've promptly been able to answer any questions I've sent their way. I can't imagine my headphone collection without a ZMF, and I'm excited to try the Caldera!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,015 of 7,113
I find it a bit perplexing that people are willing to make choices in headphones based on issues with tuning (I want it brighter, I want more/less upper kids, etc). Those issues can be addressed so effectively with EQ — if a headphone ticks all the other boxes, the fact that the tuning is not perfect for your preferences shouldn’t be an impediment.

For those who eschew EQ but are willing to pay hundreds on a copper/silver cable that they believe provides warmer/brighter sound, I can only shrug —we’re never going to convince each other I guess.
Personally, I can't live without EQ. I'm a bass head, so I have to add a low-shelf to just about every single headphone. Even without that, I know that my ear shape's quite different than the average measurement rig's, so I have to EQ out peaks and dips with just about every set to try and match the designer's intended target. I know that personally, I've enjoyed every headphone so much more after tailoring each headphone to my ears, so I always try to encourage those in the hobby to go learn how to EQ.

I do know, as a musician, that for many people, it can take some ear training to do EQ without messing it up. Bad EQ can just ruin the experience with a pair of headphones, so it can backfire quite badly depending on the person, their ears, and their training/experience. So I guess there are some that are better off just finding a pair that fits them fine out of the box.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #2,016 of 7,113
The mids/upper mids on atrium are great. The mids on caldera are very good the upper mids may be a touch laid back comparatively but I would not call caldera mids in general laid back.
For me it is too shrill treble that I am sensitive to. I had to exchange my Meze Liric’s for this reason. I would listen and then tilt my head to towards my shoulder when the sibilance was too high, like when someone has an earache. I have not had that issue with any ZMF’s, thankfully.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #2,017 of 7,113
A couple years ago I was researching headphones to upgrade to from a Focal Clear. I found a lot of options, but quite a few people were bringing up the Auteur and Vérité and how fantastic their experiences were with ZMF. I have to admit I was hesitant to pay $2,500 for a headphone, but the amount of positive comments were overwhelming. I pulled the trigger on a Vérité Open a few days later and oh boy am I glad I did.

That experience led me to eventually buy an Aeolus, then a Vérité Closed, then an Atrium, then a Hifiman HE1000se for a vastly different flavor. While the HE1000se was a detail monster and enjoyable in its own ways, I still preferred the punch and richness my ZMF's supplied (edit: Oh and can't forget the build quality. ZMF was a step-up there too). This Caldera release sounds like it combines everything I love about both: Planar resolution and technicalities with ZMF tonality. I will definitely be grabbing one someday. Not only do ZMF headphones sound great, but their customer service is fantastic and they've promptly been able to answer any questions I've sent their way. I can't imagine my headphone collection without a ZMF, and I'm excited to try the Caldera!
I went from an Atrium and a HE1000v2 to the Caldera and it’s exactly what I wanted, the best aspects of both in one headphone. Wish I had the dough to keep the Atrium around!

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #2,018 of 7,113
Personally, I can't live without EQ. I'm a bass head, so I have to add a low-shelf to just about every single headphone. Even without that, I know that my ear shape's quite different than the average measurement rig's, so I have to EQ out peaks and dips with just about every set to try and match the designer's intended target. I know that personally, I've enjoyed every headphone so much more after tailoring each headphone to my ears, so I always try to encourage those in the hobby to go learn how to EQ.

I do know, as a musician, that for many people, it can take some ear training to do EQ without messing it up. Bad EQ can just ruin the experience with a pair of headphones, so it can backfire quite badly depending on the person, their ears, and their training/experience. So I guess there are some that are better off just finding a pair that fits them fine out of the box.
I totally agree with this. If you’re willing to take the time for trial and error, EQ can vastly improve the headphone experience. Those who just don’t want to mess with EQ, I understand. However, those with some kind of philosophical objection to EQ are missing out in my opinion. And those who think it “degrades the signal” or other such nonsense are just misinformed.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #2,019 of 7,113
I went from an Atrium and a HE1000v2 to the Caldera and it’s exactly what I wanted, the best aspects of both in one headphone. Wish I had the dough to keep the Atrium around!
I'm so glad to hear that! Solidified my decision even more. I sold my Atrium and HEkse to help fund the Caldera and other bills. I'll hopefully be able to add another Atrium to my collection next year.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,020 of 7,113
The ZMF sound might not be for everyone, but as far as customer service goes, there are none better, and I'm not speaking strictly within the headphone hobby either. If you're opting to not buy a ZMF based upon some perceived notion that their terms and policies are somehow created to screw over the customer, then I don't see you being satisfied with any company.
Wow, you think the Caldera has the ZMF house sound! Well, I heard something else elsewhere!
And second, where did I complained on sound!? You are not capturing the core of my comments.
Third, 'none better' is quite subjective. And also depends on what you had the chance to try/test/listen/have.
Fourth, I am satisfied by many other companies service and service starts with how you handle you terms and documentation.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #2,021 of 7,113
For me it is too shrill treble that I am sensitive to. I had to exchange my Meze Liric’s for this reason. I would listen and then tilt my head to towards my shoulder when the sibilance was too high, like when someone has an earache. I have not had that issue with any ZMF’s, thankfully.
Caldera treble is right where I’d want it. I don’t think it’s bright or dark.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #2,022 of 7,113

I totally agree with this. If you’re willing to take the time for trial and error, EQ can vastly improve the headphone experience. Those who just don’t want to mess with EQ, I understand. However, those with some kind of philosophical objection to EQ are missing out in my opinion. And those who think it “degrades the signal” or other such nonsense are just misinformed.
I would also add if you are willing to pad swap, you should be willing to try EQ. It is in the same vein. But, I understand those who do not have a setup that can take or allow EQ and pads are the only tunable option and you need an already agreeable tonality to start with.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #2,023 of 7,113
Wow, you think the Caldera has the ZMF house sound! Well, I heard something else elsewhere!
And second, where did I complained on sound!? You are not capturing the core of my comments.
Third, 'none better' is quite subjective. And also depends on what you had the chance to try/test/listen/have.
Fourth, I am satisfied by many other companies service and service starts with how you handle you terms and documentation.
@Monsterzero did not say you didn’t like the sound. It was a general statement that while not every headphone enthusiast might love the ZMF sound, their customer service is known to be among the best, not just in the headphone hobby, but in general. “None better” was not meant to be taken as an absolute literal phrase. If you think about it calmly, the only way it could be meant literally is if he has had an experience with every single company on the planet, such as to make an objective statement, which is of course not possible. Everyone gets it, you don’t care for the new release discount clause. You’ve been informed of the options. I don’t think there’s more to be said on the subject.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #2,024 of 7,113
I would also add if you are willing to pad swap, you should be willing to try EQ. It is in the same vein. But, I understand those who do not have a setup that can take or allow EQ and pads are the only tunable option and you need an already agreeable tonality to start with.
I think EQing is great but pad swapping is pretty different. If the pad geometry is different it might be solving problems you can’t with EQ (ant least not very easily or potentially as consistently). Pad material is similar, I’ve never been able to EQ an ZMF suede pad to sound like leather. Everyone should try both IMO.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #2,025 of 7,113
Well, let me put it another way, then...

Your attitude has been one of a pissy whiner for days. You have nitpicked very minor things in a public forum without doing the first bit of due diligence. You come across as rude, entitled, and not appreciative of the info both @zach915m and this community have offered here.

You are simply not the target audience for this company or these headphones, and your response is not one that's usually tolerated in this community. Feel free to respond, however, I personally will be blocking you.
Well, I will not put it in another way. Your insulting words speak enough about you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back