ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #2,206 of 2,348
I’m only at the very beginning of my ZMF pads journey, but also a bit confused as to the directions given. Obviously, the thick part goes behind the ears - however, doing this means that the seams do NOT align with the cable jacks!? Is it my head shape?
I did the same as you and the seam is at the top. As Zach said, it doesn't matter. As long as the thick part is behind your ear.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #2,207 of 2,348
Some ZMF headphones are pretty dark sounding with certain pads. I would not consider the Bokeh dark though, at least if you remove the mesh and use hybrid/suede pads, it's quite energetic up top in that configuration.
100% agree with mesh removal. Treble and detail/clarity for me (yes I do like/need treble as i have 53 yr old ears) is improved exponentially. I LOVE my Verite Opens but Bokeh without mesh are amazingly good, especially for the price!!

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #2,208 of 2,348
I did the same as you and the seam is at the top. As Zach said, it doesn't matter. As long as the thick part is behind your ear.
.... better than being between your ears .... 🤪

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #2,209 of 2,348
100% agree with mesh removal. Treble and detail/clarity for me (yes I do like/need treble as i have 53 yr old ears) is improved exponentially. I LOVE my Verite Opens but Bokeh without mesh are amazingly good, especially for the price!!
I use the Hybrid pads along with the Burst Mesh and the sounds works for me. Now to be honest, I have not tried them with the Mesh removed. I have to also think that the Amp and DAC combo that you use also effects the sound detail. I prefer the sound from the ZMF Homage with the Bokeh compared to my Decware Tube Amp - the soundstage is different.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #2,210 of 2,348
.... better than being between your ears .... 🤪
HAHA!!!!!!!! I'm afraid there's not a great deal of stuffing between these old ears .... :laughing:

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #2,211 of 2,348
I use the Hybrid pads along with the Burst Mesh and the sounds works for me. Now to be honest, I have not tried them with the Mesh removed. I have to also think that the Amp and DAC combo that you use also effects the sound detail. I prefer the sound from the ZMF Homage with the Bokeh compared to my Decware Tube Amp - the soundstage is different.
Yes agree - synergy is a huge factor, although I haven't found any amp that they didn't sound great on. Even my Topping G5 makes them sing!!. Don't get me wrong, I loved these with the burst mesh but since I removed it, I'm loving them even more!!!

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #2,214 of 2,348
I found adding a pilot pad helped my fit with the Atriums. Before adding the pad, I was on the smallest setting.

I do have the pilot pad. Works well enough for me even if it makes the headphone more bulky.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #2,215 of 2,348
Before I sold my bokeh, I really enjoyed them without mesh with the suede pads. Just really really good.
Hi
Why did You sold the Bokeh and what replaced it?
If I may ask.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #2,216 of 2,348
@Pharmaboy - "a bit more honesty in the treble than I like"

That's some Head-Fi gold right there! And I'm sure I'll steal it...ahem...quote it at some point in the future.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #2,217 of 2,348
@Pharmaboy - "a bit more honesty in the treble than I like"

That's some Head-Fi gold right there! And I'm sure I'll steal it...ahem...quote it at some point in the future.
(Pharmaboy frantically files the Copyright application on that phrase...)

Seriously, steal away.

In my experience, it's challenging to indicate that a particular sonic preference is not ideally met by this or that audio component--which nonetheless sounds pretty amazing. That was how I chose to do it.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #2,218 of 2,348
Hi
Why did You sold the Bokeh and what replaced it?
If I may ask.
To be honest, after hearing it after a few weeks, I started to feel it wasn’t hitting my preferences even though it was great to listen to and was well balanced. It was pretty similar to my Aeolus, different obviously but something about the Bokeh wasn’t sitting right with me. It sounds a little “brittle” or not as weighty as the Aeolus, and I kept thinking maybe the VC would be a better closed back for me with what I’ve read about it. I guess the Bokeh and Aeolus are both “fun, warm-er, comfort food” headphones so to me they were a bit too similar.

I might get the bokeh again in the future but for now, my quest is to find a VC, and/or Atrium open. I just bought another Aeolus so when it arrives Monday I will start comparing to my current Aeolus and probably sell the current one. The one I just bought is African Blackwood and my current one is Cocobolo

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #2,219 of 2,348
Has anyone tried any of the universe pads with the bokeh?

My right ear seems to be touching something on the inside of the stock protein pads.

It honestly wasn't very noticeable at first, but after a couple of long sessions it has become pretty annoying.

I know the universe pads have always been very comfortable for me, so I hope there is one that sounds good with the Bokeh.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #2,220 of 2,348
To be honest, after hearing it after a few weeks, I started to feel it wasn’t hitting my preferences even though it was great to listen to and was well balanced. It was pretty similar to my Aeolus, different obviously but something about the Bokeh wasn’t sitting right with me. It sounds a little “brittle” or not as weighty as the Aeolus, and I kept thinking maybe the VC would be a better closed back for me with what I’ve read about it. I guess the Bokeh and Aeolus are both “fun, warm-er, comfort food” headphones so to me they were a bit too similar.

I might get the bokeh again in the future but for now, my quest is to find a VC, and/or Atrium open. I just bought another Aeolus so when it arrives Monday I will start comparing to my current Aeolus and probably sell the current one. The one I just bought is African Blackwood and my current one is Cocobolo
Where you get these colors, there are just few in the page of ZMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back