ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 6, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #2,236 of 2,348
Been listening to the Bokeh at work today, and I stumbled on a really sublime, compact chain that I'm very much enjoying.

Pixel 8 Pro>USB Audio Player Pro/TIDAL>Cayin RU7>Nitsch Piety

PXL_20240406_222643161.jpg

I was worried that it might be a little too laid back sounding, with the warmer amp and R2R DAC, but that's very much not the case. There's some great synergy here, and it really brings out the best of the Bokeh in a very small (and affordable) setup.

The Schiit Magni Unity is also a great inexpensive, all-in-one option if you want to further reduce the footprint/wire clutter. While the internal DAC of the Magni Unity is solid, the amp really shines when you pair it with a better DAC.

I've also switched back to the Protein Pads for the last few week or so. Ultimately, I missed the extra bass and transient response that the non-suede material provides. I also went mesh free, as I found that worked better for me with warmer sources. That's the great thing about having the tuning kit, you can really dial in the sound to match your chain and listening preferences.
Do you use the line out feature of the RU7 when hooking it up to another amp or just use the headphone out? It's annoying that it resets back to PO after each session since it won't save the line out when turned off

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #2,238 of 2,348
Once you start listening to one, it’ll be easy to be hop on the zmf train. I was skeptical at first and now I’m wondering why I didn’t buy a zmf sooner. I’m even selling some other headphones I thought I never would because I want to try other ZMF’s that I feel would suit my taste perfectly.

Absolutely. Now other than my HD800s, I'm all ZMF and IEMs.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #2,239 of 2,348
They do go quickly on the classifieds page. You can also add a Want To Buy post in the classifieds as well.
I got lucky finding a seller on AVexchange in the first 10 minutes it posted, headphone and full tuning kit for about $875. They're actually so good for the price point that the only reason I would sell these is to fund a nice looking stabilized AO.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #2,240 of 2,348
I finally swapped pads to the all suede included with the tuning kit. Damn those were the most difficult to get onto the headphone. Finally did it. Still have the default mesh on as well. First impression is that sound is still very good but perhaps more full. What do you guys think of those particular pads?

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #2,241 of 2,348
Interesting question. I found the treble on the E-Mu Teak much better than it was on the same-Fostex-frame TX-00 mahogany, which sounded bright and grainy to me. The Teak's treble (upper mids up to treble) were slightly north of what I prefer, but they had real tonal beauty & accuracy, thanks to that great biocellulose driver. I categorized the Teak's treble as very nice, in the "it hurts so good" neighborhood.

Knowing you value the Teak's treble makes it easier to recommend specific ZMFs:
  1. Auteur (original): a bit more honesty in the treble than I like, but more tonal accuracy and range than the Teak. However, the bass isn't quite equal to the Teak's
  2. Auteur Classic: things I didn't care for in the OG Auteur definitely improve here, w/still accurate but less intrusive upper mids & treble; better bass; and amazing soundstaging, thanks to the ADS (Atrium Damping System). This one also has a biocellulose driver
  3. Eikon original: I owned a padauk version (stunning wood) and loved the sound: authoritative, sparkling upper mids/treble, epic bass, all the way down to sub-bass, and way better soundstaging than any closed back I've heard. It also has a biocellulose driver. You'd probably like this headphone. In addition, the dynamics are really something to experience (thrilling sound)
  4. Eikon(ic): This reissued Eikon is said to have a somewhat improved version of the OG Eikon's driver. Assuming it sounds anything like the original, you'd probably like this one.
  5. Caldera Open: The only planar on this list & it costs significantly more than the others. But it's one of the best headphones (if not the THE best) I've ever heard, with lights out, accurate bass, big, expressive mids, truthful upper mids and treble, and unprecedented soundstaging for a planar, courtesy of the ADS. This TOTL headphone's sound can be readily "tuned" via choice of screens (covering the driver) and earpads. If you're interested in this one, check the lengthy Caldera thread on Head-Fi.
I don't think you could go wrong with any of these 5.
Just wanted to feed back a little on this great post. I decided to bin the idea with a new closed back, keep my Teaks and instead spring for an open back. After reading through your recommendations, I reached out to the local AD and will receive an Auteur Classic in a couple of days for a week-long home demo. :)

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #2,242 of 2,348
Well, these came in today and they are stunning
20240417_204917.jpg

They are fun headphones indeed. They feel and sound special and all the contributors so far are spot on, they just make me want to play one more song again and again

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #2,243 of 2,348
Well, these came in today and they are stunning 20240417_204917.jpg

They are fun headphones indeed. They feel and sound special and all the contributors so far are spot on, they just make me want to play one more song again and again
The ZMF "One More Song Syndrome" strikes again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nice looking pair!

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #2,245 of 2,348
Thanks, I almost went for a natural pair but these ones caught the light and have a bit of a sparkle that is pretty special. It's the first time with headphones I feel regret when they're on my head because I can't be looking at them :)
That's why you get another ZMF :smiley:

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #2,246 of 2,348
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #2,247 of 2,348
My thoughts after owning the Bokeh now for a few weeks.

Stock (perforated mesh and leather pads) these are quite mid bassy. Certainly more than any of my other headphones. With the optional tuning kit you have more pads and an unperforated mesh to combine in any way you like. I did most of my pad comparisons with the perforated mesh in place. Suede pads reduce the bass and make things more mid focused. Initially I thought this would be my preferred tuning. Hybrid pads are in between with reduced bass from full leather and more than full suede. However, with all 3 I felt like there was a slight persistent veil. I did leave this burning in between listening sessions and they probably got 40 - 50 hours total burn in before I settled. The perceived veil did seem to improve with burn in but didn't entirely lift.

I then decided to try removing the mesh entirely as the mesh seems to tame the highs. For me it was like the veil was lifted! I ended up settling on the leather pads for the bass but now nicely balanced by no mesh for increased airiness. I was specifically looking for a bassier set to add to my collection so this combo with the Bokeh fits the bill nicely. I particularly like them with more electronic styles like electronica, IDM, drum & bass etc.

IMG_20240309_113318.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #2,248 of 2,348
There are two types of driver mesh in the kit. I have the default mesh installed. Does anyone use the other mesh option? I got the suede pads on now and I'm afraid to take them off cause I won't get them back on. Haha. I do wish there was a simpler way to swap pads. Either magnetic or some kind of snap on/off like the Sennheiser 6 series.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #2,250 of 2,348
is the bass like the atticus? or better?
IMO the bass is better than the Atticus. You get a similar midbass emphasis but it's faster and more nuanced. It also seems to dig a bit lower as well, though it's not as low as the Eikon or AC. In its stock configuration (burst mesh and protein pads) I find it to be the bassiest ZMF of the bunch. Being a huge Atticus lover I can honestly say it takes everything great about the Atticus and improves upon it. The bass is better, it's got more air up top, it's more spacious sounding, and overall just has a more balanced yet still fun demeanor. I often wondered of anything would even unseat the Atticus from my top spot, but the Bokeh has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back