ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #2,251 of 2,348
IMO the bass is better than the Atticus. You get a similar midbass emphasis but it's faster and more nuanced. It also seems to dig a bit lower as well, though it's not as low as the Eikon or AC. In its stock configuration (burst mesh and protein pads) I find it to be the bassiest ZMF of the bunch. Being a huge Atticus lover I can honestly say it takes everything great about the Atticus and improves upon it. The bass is better, it's got more air up top, it's more spacious sounding, and overall just has a more balanced yet still fun demeanor. I often wondered of anything would even unseat the Atticus from my top spot, but the Bokeh has.
As always, I concur.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #2,252 of 2,348
As always, I concur.
How's the Bokeh on the HA300? I was listening to the Bokeh on my Stratus last night and it really opens up on it, more so than my other amps. I can't figure out if it's something to do with power delivery, having a more synergistic dampening factor, or what. But the Bokeh was sounding exceptionally good on it vs the Tuba and WA3.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #2,253 of 2,348
How's the Bokeh on the HA300? I was listening to the Bokeh on my Stratus last night and it really opens up on it, more so than my other amps. I can't figure out if it's something to do with power delivery, having a more synergistic dampening factor, or what. But the Bokeh was sounding exceptionally good on it vs the Tuba and WA3.
The Bokeh are flat out incredible with the HA300MK2 and scale very well. The sound becomes quite refined and expansive, and I use and prefer the low output impedance setting, as it gets too loose and wooly on medium or high for me.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #2,254 of 2,348
The Bokeh are flat out incredible with the HA300MK2 and scale very well. The sound becomes quite refined and expansive, and I use and prefer the low output impedance setting, as it gets too loose and wooly on medium or high for me.
Output impedance was what I playing with a lot last night. On the lower setting it definitely tightens up and sounds more technically adept. On high the bass gets a bit bloated, but I was debating myself on if I actually preferred the sloppier sound of high OI vs the tighter low OI. I'm listening this morning on my work WA3 and it's also on the flabbier side, but I'm thinking I kinda like it! It lacks precision, and is very boomy, but it works on a lot of my metal albums that are bass lite.

I'm jealous of that HA300! I almost got one but the cost of 300b tubes terrifies me. I'm struggling with even the 2a3 tubes my Stratus takes. The cream of the crop versions are way outside my budget. My fear with 300b is the low end tubes will still be outside my budget. I think if I take the plunge on it I'll have to sell of a lot of gear to pad the tube budget. I'm just loath to sell anything right now, I'm really enjoying everything I have.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #2,255 of 2,348
I finally swapped pads to the all suede included with the tuning kit. Damn those were the most difficult to get onto the headphone. Finally did it. Still have the default mesh on as well. First impression is that sound is still very good but perhaps more full. What do you guys think of those particular pads?
I started with no filter and leather pads and found it to be resolving and clean, but a bit dark and bright at the same time, but not really v-shaped either. i then stepped up through filters and pads until i got to full filter with suede pads, which to me warms it up a bit while subduing the bass. I'm leaving them like this because I think it sounds best with tubes and that is currently my primary use case. If i was using it at work on the ef600 like i thought i was going to, i think i'd stay with the stock config of partial filter and protein pads. a little more bass, slightly better resolution, but no peaky treble that could fatigue in an all day listening session.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #2,256 of 2,348
There are two types of driver mesh in the kit. I have the default mesh installed. Does anyone use the other mesh option? I got the suede pads on now and I'm afraid to take them off cause I won't get them back on. Haha. I do wish there was a simpler way to swap pads. Either magnetic or some kind of snap on/off like the Sennheiser 6 series.

The suede pads are slightly smaller than the other two pads, making them more difficult to put on. However, repeatedly swapping them does loosen them up and make them easier to put on.

The solid mesh will tame the highs even further than the included burst mesh, resulting in a darker sound. I do like the solid mesh, but it may be too veiled for some.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #2,257 of 2,348
I started with no filter and leather pads and found it to be resolving and clean, but a bit dark and bright at the same time, but not really v-shaped either. i then stepped up through filters and pads until i got to full filter with suede pads, which to me warms it up a bit while subduing the bass. I'm leaving them like this because I think it sounds best with tubes and that is currently my primary use case. If i was using it at work on the ef600 like i thought i was going to, i think i'd stay with the stock config of partial filter and protein pads. a little more bass, slightly better resolution, but no peaky treble that could fatigue in an all day listening session.
The suede pads are slightly smaller than the other two pads, making them more difficult to put on. However, repeatedly swapping them does loosen them up and make them easier to put on.

The solid mesh will tame the highs even further than the included burst mesh, resulting in a darker sound. I do like the solid mesh, but it may be too veiled for some.

Perhaps I'll try removing the mesh entirely later. I don't want a dark sound but I like a warm "analog" sound. I have a Feliks Echo Mk2 tube amp. I find the leather type pads can be too slippery but they may have the better overall sound. I don't want a bright sound but I do like lots of detail. Is it possible to have both plenty of detail and warm (analog) sound?

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #2,258 of 2,348
I'm jealous of that HA300! I almost got one but the cost of 300b tubes terrifies me. I'm struggling with even the 2a3 tubes my Stratus takes. The cream of the crop versions are way outside my budget. My fear with 300b is the low end tubes will still be outside my budget. I think if I take the plunge on it I'll have to sell of a lot of gear to pad the tube budget. I'm just loath to sell anything right now, I'm really enjoying everything I have.
This keeps me in check when I start looking at the big-boy tube amps. I look at how much I've already spent on tubes for my substantially cheaper to roll HA-3A and come back to reality 🥹
(but also the HA-3A still kicks ass)

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #2,259 of 2,348
Perhaps I'll try removing the mesh entirely later. I don't want a dark sound but I like a warm "analog" sound. I have a Feliks Echo Mk2 tube amp. I find the leather type pads can be too slippery but they may have the better overall sound. I don't want a bright sound but I do like lots of detail. Is it possible to have both plenty of detail and warm (analog) sound?
I also have the echo m2 with phillips harleen tubes. I prefer the vegan and full mesh filter for a nice easy listening warm experience. With other amps, i found no mesh filter and protein pads to be a bit harsh in the treble, but with the echo it was fine. just not the sound i look for from tubes.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #2,260 of 2,348

The Bokeh is just overall a warm headphone. To me, the hybrid pads with the included mesh will have the perfect mix of warmth and detail. Another option would be protein with no mesh (as the protein pads tend to darken the highs a bit). To me, the protein pads add a bit too much bass sometimes, to the point of sounding boomy. YMMV with a different amp though.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #2,261 of 2,348
This keeps me in check when I start looking at the big-boy tube amps. I look at how much I've already spent on tubes for my substantially cheaper to roll HA-3A and come back to reality 🥹
(but also the HA-3A still kicks ass)
Tube cost is a major factor for sure. There have been times i ALMOST sold the Stratus due to the 2a3 costs. But I'm just always patiently monitoring the used market for the occasional tube dumps. Thankfully I was able to snag some nice tubes for reasonable amounts. But those 300b tubes... not sure there are even cheap tube dumps for those things. How is the HA3A? I love what Cayin is doing with tube amps, they're making some incredible products for tube lovers. I would have gotten the 3A if not for the commercial Aegis announcement.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #2,262 of 2,348
I also have the echo m2 with phillips harleen tubes. I prefer the vegan and full mesh filter for a nice easy listening warm experience. With other amps, i found no mesh filter and protein pads to be a bit harsh in the treble, but with the echo it was fine. just not the sound i look for from tubes.
The Bokeh is just overall a warm headphone. To me, the hybrid pads with the included mesh will have the perfect mix of warmth and detail. Another option would be protein with no mesh (as the protein pads tend to darken the highs a bit). To me, the protein pads add a bit too much bass sometimes, to the point of sounding boomy. YMMV with a different amp though.

I want to find the right pad/mesh combo and stick with it. I don't want to swap pads or mesh depending on the amp I'm using. That's just a pain in the butt. Zach needs to find an easier way to swap pads.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #2,263 of 2,348
I want to find the right pad/mesh combo and stick with it. I don't want to swap pads or mesh depending on the amp I'm using. That's just a pain in the butt. Zach needs to find an easier way to swap pads.
Zeos taught me about goatsee and pad swapping ZMF headphones is specifically relevant....

But yeah me too. That's why i tried every option first before settling on a preference. I don't want to deal with that again. Also i found an interesting issue with the filter mesh in which if the screws aren't tightened just right that the mesh vibrates a bit. It's set just right now, so i'm nervous to mess with it.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #2,264 of 2,348
Tube cost is a major factor for sure. There have been times i ALMOST sold the Stratus due to the 2a3 costs. But I'm just always patiently monitoring the used market for the occasional tube dumps. Thankfully I was able to snag some nice tubes for reasonable amounts. But those 300b tubes... not sure there are even cheap tube dumps for those things. How is the HA3A? I love what Cayin is doing with tube amps, they're making some incredible products for tube lovers. I would have gotten the 3A if not for the commercial Aegis announcement.
It fits my needs pretty perfectly right now in terms of cost, size and how flexible it is (xlr in, multiple output connections with different gain levels, output impedence options... I even love that it has a cage and have had multiple occasions I'm sure I would have accidentally smacked a tube without it). I think it sounds excellent and just takes all my headphones that step up from my V226 (particularly in the space and air).

I'd love an Aegis still, definitely, but it'd require making other concessions in trade for that sound upgrade. Maybe down the road... (and if they do an all black/wood version :wink: )

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #2,265 of 2,348
Totally agree with you. I used to enjoy them more on the Bliss, but once I switched from the base Elrogs to the Takatsuki's 3 weeks back it all just clicked, and it gets much more play time on the HA300MKII when I use them at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back