ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #2,266 of 2,348
I want to find the right pad/mesh combo and stick with it. I don't want to swap pads or mesh depending on the amp I'm using. That's just a pain in the butt. Zach needs to find an easier way to swap pads.

I don't think you should have to do that either, and I don't. A headphone that can't be an "all-rounder" isn't a good headphone to me. It has to be able to sound good with everything I throw at it. And the Bokeh does. So you just have to test each combination with your preferred amp and your preferred music and determine which one is best.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #2,267 of 2,348
I don't think you should have to do that either, and I don't. A headphone that can't be an "all-rounder" isn't a good headphone to me. It has to be able to sound good with everything I throw at it. And the Bokeh does. So you just have to test each combination with your preferred amp and your preferred music and determine which one is best.

Yeah I'll keep playing around with it. Right now I have the default mesh and all suede pads. Sound is very good to my ears.

But I am hearing some sort of background noise when I'm plugged into my Echo Mk2 tube amp. As soon as I unplug my headphones it goes away. I don't have this with my Singxer SA-1 solid state amp. It might be specific to the Bokeh as I just plugged in my HD600 to my tube amp and I don't hear that noise. I'm not sure how to describe the noise. Sounds kind of high pitched. Like one of those old printers with the papers connected together end to end. But it sounds in the distance. The Bokeh doesn't use the standard cable like the other ZMF cans so I can't just switch to that. Does anyone make an after market cable I could use?

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #2,268 of 2,348
Yeah I'll keep playing around with it. Right now I have the default mesh and all suede pads. Sound is very good to my ears.

But I am hearing some sort of background noise when I'm plugged into my Echo Mk2 tube amp. As soon as I unplug my headphones it goes away. I don't have this with my Singxer SA-1 solid state amp. It might be specific to the Bokeh as I just plugged in my HD600 to my tube amp and I don't hear that noise. I'm not sure how to describe the noise. Sounds kind of high pitched. Like one of those old printers with the papers connected together end to end. But it sounds in the distance. The Bokeh doesn't use the standard cable like the other ZMF cans so I can't just switch to that. Does anyone make an after market cable I could use?
Sounds like you're getting some tube noise. The Bokeh is much more sensitive than the HD600 so it's not surprising you're hearing it more with the Bokeh. I have a similar issue with my Kenzie and some of the tubes I like for it. They have a slight hum/ring to them that my other tubes don't. And the Bokeh picks up on that easier than it's 300ohm brethren. Once music starts I don't notice it, so I deal with it, but it is annoying to hear it when nothing is playing. I had an Echo MK2 and the stock tubes were quiet, but the NOS tubes I rolled into it were noisy buggers. Unfortunately that's one of the biggest downsides to tube amps, the potential for noise. But given how great they sound, I just deal with it.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #2,269 of 2,348
Sounds like you're getting some tube noise. The Bokeh is much more sensitive than the HD600 so it's not surprising you're hearing it more with the Bokeh. I have a similar issue with my Kenzie and some of the tubes I like for it. They have a slight hum/ring to them that my other tubes don't. And the Bokeh picks up on that easier than it's 300ohm brethren. Once music starts I don't notice it, so I deal with it, but it is annoying to hear it when nothing is playing. I had an Echo MK2 and the stock tubes were quiet, but the NOS tubes I rolled into it were noisy buggers. Unfortunately that's one of the biggest downsides to tube amps, the potential for noise. But given how great they sound, I just deal with it.

Fair enough. But I still would possibly like an alternate cable. It is a mono 3.5mm connector on each ear cup right?

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #2,270 of 2,348
Fair enough. But I still would possibly like an alternate cable. It is a mono 3.5mm connector on each ear cup right?
The stock cable is 3.5mm mono but i've been using my Arctic Cables 3.5mm TRS cable for Focals without issue. So if you have any Focal cables around they'll work. If you do want to try a new cable my cable go to's are Hart Audio Cables and also Artic Cables.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #2,271 of 2,348
The stock cable is 3.5mm mono but i've been using my Arctic Cables 3.5mm TRS cable for Focals without issue. So if you have any Focal cables around they'll work. If you do want to try a new cable my cable go to's are Hart Audio Cables and also Artic Cables.

I have used Hart Audio Cables before. They were very nice but for me I had very audible microphonics. But I do like their system with swappable connectors. I've bought a couple cables from these folks and they seem very good. https://www.audiophileninja.com/ I just need to know if they have one I can use with the Bokeh.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #2,272 of 2,348
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #2,273 of 2,348
The 3.5mm focal cables will work on the Bokeh just fine https://www.audiophileninja.com/product/focal-hifiman-dual-3-5mm/

The ends are long enough to fit all the way in?

D35-4.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #2,274 of 2,348
I have used Hart Audio Cables before. They were very nice but for me I had very audible microphonics. But I do like their system with swappable connectors. I've bought a couple cables from these folks and they seem very good. https://www.audiophileninja.com/ I just need to know if they have one I can use with the Bokeh.
Never had a microphonic issue with Hart Audio, at least for their twisted four pair.

Periapt cables I had microphonic issues big time, that and that big honking plastic splitter.

Best thing you can do is make your own cables. Much cheaper and you do not need to be some soldering master.

If you find doing a four pair or more braid too intimidating, just get a kumihimo disk off of Amazon and it makes it as easy as 1-2-3-4.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #2,275 of 2,348
The ends are long enough to fit all the way in?

Definitely. Here’s my cables in use right now

EDIT: I should have added that cable was made for my Focal Elegia and I started using it on my Bokeh without issue. So any mono or TRS dual 3.5mm cable will suffice.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #2,276 of 2,348
Never had a microphonic issue with Hart Audio, at least for their twisted four pair.

Periapt cables I had microphonic issues big time, that and that big honking plastic splitter.

Best thing you can do is make your own cables. Much cheaper and you do not need to be some soldering master.

If you find doing a four pair or more braid too intimidating, just get a kumihimo disk off of Amazon and it makes it as easy as 1-2-3-4.
Well I think it's been more than five years since I last bought any Hart Audio cable. So maybe I'll check them out again.

Definitely. Here’s my cables in use right now

EDIT: I should have added that cable was made for my Focal Elegia and I started using it on my Bokeh without issue. So any mono or TRS dual 3.5mm cable will suffice.

Cool Thanks. It would be nice as well to have something better if I get another Focal headphone.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #2,277 of 2,348
My thoughts after owning the Bokeh now for a few weeks.

Stock (perforated mesh and leather pads) these are quite mid bassy. Certainly more than any of my other headphones. With the optional tuning kit you have more pads and an unperforated mesh to combine in any way you like. I did most of my pad comparisons with the perforated mesh in place. Suede pads reduce the bass and make things more mid focused. Initially I thought this would be my preferred tuning. Hybrid pads are in between with reduced bass from full leather and more than full suede. However, with all 3 I felt like there was a slight persistent veil. I did leave this burning in between listening sessions and they probably got 40 - 50 hours total burn in before I settled. The perceived veil did seem to improve with burn in but didn't entirely lift.

I then decided to try removing the mesh entirely as the mesh seems to tame the highs. For me it was like the veil was lifted! I ended up settling on the leather pads for the bass but now nicely balanced by no mesh for increased airiness. I was specifically looking for a bassier set to add to my collection so this combo with the Bokeh fits the bill nicely. I particularly like them with more electronic styles like electronica, IDM, drum & bass etc.

IMG_20240309_113318.jpg
Yes, detail and clarity are there in spades with the mesh removed for me. Don’t think I’ll go back to using mesh. Awesome cans!!!

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #2,279 of 2,348
IMO the bass is better than the Atticus. You get a similar midbass emphasis but it's faster and more nuanced. It also seems to dig a bit lower as well, though it's not as low as the Eikon or AC. In its stock configuration (burst mesh and protein pads) I find it to be the bassiest ZMF of the bunch. Being a huge Atticus lover I can honestly say it takes everything great about the Atticus and improves upon it. The bass is better, it's got more air up top, it's more spacious sounding, and overall just has a more balanced yet still fun demeanor. I often wondered of anything would even unseat the Atticus from my top spot, but the Bokeh has.

As always, I concur.

Hey guys, I have both the Atticus & Eikon from OG days and never got past powering them with solid state amps & hybrids like by Schiit, and BY FAR I prefer the Eikon ... where would you say the Bokeh would fall comparatively if I'm powering with a moondrop dongle or just out of a laptop or phone?

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #2,280 of 2,348
Just picked up a pair second hand. Waiting on a new amp before I set aside my HD 800s and give them a run. I can just buy any 3.5 ended XLR cable if I want to run these off a balanced amp, correct?
Yep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back