ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #2,296 of 2,351
BOKEH in da house :). I look forward to spending a good chunk of time with them before I share my thoughts. Pretty little entry into the magical world of ZMF sound.

PXL_20240423_071058761.jpg

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #2,298 of 2,351
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,300 of 2,351
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #2,302 of 2,351
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #2,303 of 2,351
I also happened to publish my review today, but it is in Finnish (currently at least).:)

https://kuulokenurkka.com/arvostelu-zmf-bokeh/

Your review is top-notch! I really dig your straightforward and unbiased approach. It'd be awesome if more reviewers followed suit and laid out the good and the bad like you do.
One quick note that I saw in the review: "However, the round cushions originally developed for the Caldera model, when stretched around the oval mounting rings of the Bokeh, unfortunately look a bit like the headphones and cushions don't belong together."

My note: The earpads are actually oval - and were designed out of round - the actual shape is between round and oval, and really between The Bokeh and round Caldera size, and because of the malleability of the material they can fit a lot of headphones because of this.

I do recognize they are a little hard to put on, and we are working on making an interface ring that goes beneath the cushion and over the driver cover of the pad which will keep the shape of the pad making it easier to put on. If anyone wants to 3d print their own, I can supply the file as well, we do not have the capability to offer them yet via printing, but if people like them we may make them more easily available in the future to make the shape more oval and allow pad swapping slightly easier.

As is usual with our products - I tried my best to provide a headphone that will carry the same lifetime sonic warranty, utilize only wood metal and natural earpads materials, and not have any pricing, tuning or iterative changes over the course of its life so that it holds its value well. I really appreciate you guys trying them. :L3000:

PS - Thanks for reviewing them!!!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #2,304 of 2,351
Same question here.
I happen to own both Bokeh and DCA E3.

If you like Bokeh as linear and Harman-like as possible (for me suede pads without mesh), E3 would be even more Harman-like and clarity focused. It has less warmth and more energy on upper mids. For some the 3-4 kHz region might be a bit too forward (like 1-2 dB), but it makes everything sound very clear and lively. Bokeh is fuller sounding and more easy going for longer listening sessions. For perfect Harman tuning, E3 has a more even frequency response with less variation than Bokeh.

Soundstage on both is actually quite similar in style and size. Separation is good and they sound quite open and spacious. However, E3 brings vocals closer, so it many times feels more intimate for me.

Overall, I would call E3 an upgrade if you are looking for a super normal sounding (in a good way) closed headphone, but it costs a lot more. I am also not the biggest fan of its dip in the bass region, which makes midbass impact quite weak compared to dynamic driver headphones. Otherwise E3 sounds dynamic and not like Aeon series, for example.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #2,305 of 2,351
Your review is top-notch! I really dig your straightforward and unbiased approach. It'd be awesome if more reviewers followed suit and laid out the good and the bad like you do.
Thanks! This exactly has been my aim. By not earning any money from the reviews, affiliate links or ads, I probably have more freedom than usually. I am not saying that money makes people biased, but you always have think twice when you try to make a living out of something.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #2,306 of 2,351
One quick note that I saw in the review: "However, the round cushions originally developed for the Caldera model, when stretched around the oval mounting rings of the Bokeh, unfortunately look a bit like the headphones and cushions don't belong together."

My note: The earpads are actually oval - and were designed out of round - the actual shape is between round and oval, and really between The Bokeh and round Caldera size, and because of the malleability of the material they can fit a lot of headphones becau

I do recognize they are a little hard to put on, and we are working on making an interface ring that goes beneath the cushion and over the driver cover of the pad which will keep the shape of the pad making it easier to put on. If anyone wants to 3d print their own, I can supply the file as well, we do not have the capability to offer them yet via printing, but if people like them we may make them more easily available in the future to make the shape more oval and allow pad swapping slightly easier.

As is usual with our products - I tried my best to provide a headphone that will carry the same lifetime sonic warranty, utilize only wood metal and natural earpads materials, and not have any pricing, tuning or iterative changes over the course of its life so that it holds its value well. I really appreciate you guys trying them. :L3000:

PS - Thanks for reviewing them!!!

Will those attachments rings be available as part of the new batch shipping out soon (like I just placed an order a week ago)? Or just something to pick up separately from the site once they're ready?

Definitely excited to finally get my first ZMF headphones btw! Been like 5 years of following along and can now actually buy one lol.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #2,307 of 2,351

I also happened to publish my review today, but it is in Finnish (currently at least).:)

https://kuulokenurkka.com/arvostelu-zmf-bokeh/

I was starting to get impatient lol. Kinda hoped you would've just said that the Bokeh is amazing and well worth the price to push me over the fence on whether to buy them or not, but I'm even more unsure now. I guess I'll keep my money incase something more interesting gets released. Great review!

[edit] nevermind, the review is actually very positive. Slightly overpriced or not, they seem like the perfect complementary pair for my HE1000 Stealth.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #2,308 of 2,351
Took another little break from the Bokeh this past week, as I was listening with my VC's. Well, I decided this morning it was Bokeh time again, and damn these headphones just always put a smile on my face. :grin:

The Bokeh sound so amazing with my HA300MK2, that I am still in awe of what Zach has done with this headphone. They have a smooth yet snappy and punchy sound with awesome staging, and I just can't get enough of.

Those interested in the Bokeh would be hard pressed to find a better headphone for the price.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #2,309 of 2,351
The Bokeh is without a doubt my favorite headphone. As much as I love my VC's and Atticus, the Bokeh are just on another level when it comes to just getting lost in the music. The detail is all there, and never sounds forced or unnatural whatsoever. The sound of the Bokeh is so freaking smooth, snappy and engaging, and "analog-like" is the thougt that keeps coming to mind while listening. :o2smile:

I am using the Hybrid Pads and Solid Titan Mesh.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #2,310 of 2,351
The Bokeh is without a doubt my favorite headphone. As much as I love my VC's and Atticus, the Bokeh are just on another level when it comes to just getting lost in the music. The detail is all there, and never sounds forced or unnatural whatsoever. The sound of the Bokeh is so freaking smooth, snappy and engaging, and "analog-like" is the thougt that keeps coming to mind while listening. :o2smile:

I am using the Hybrid Pads and Solid Titan Mesh.
Agreed. There's an intangible magic to the Bokeh that's irresistible to me. It's easily supplanted the Atticus as my go to for fun. And it rivals the AC for overall enjoyment. To be at the lowest price point in the ZMF lineup is insane given how good this set sounds. IMO the best headphone to start with for any prospective ZMF buyers, unless they really want neutral, then the Auteur. Really want to hear it on a 300b amp too! Yes that's jealousy talking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back