ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #2,326 of 2,351
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,327 of 2,351
Can you kindly compare denon d7200 2022 or later model as they are coming up with slightly high resolution drivers with zmf bokeh?
I don't unfortunately have the Denon model currently available for a comparison. I have heard it like 2 years ago and there weren't any major problems considering its price. However, its boosted 500-1500 Hz area doesn't necessarily sound the most natural compared to headphones like Bokeh.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #2,328 of 2,351
Spent the day listening to the Bokeh on my WA3 OTL with adapted 5670 tubes. With my normal tubes the combo is a bit underdampened and boomy. But holee crap do those 5670 tubes tighten things up! Fast, tight, impactful. I have no idea what's going on, but it sounds glorious. I've noted a similar thing with my other dynamic headphones, but it's really evident here with the Bokeh. There's some crazy good synergy going on. It reminds me how a great, synergistic system doesn't just play back the music, it plays emotion. I've had more goosebumps today than I have in awhile. I MIGHT not have done much work, but that's ok! :)

If you're curious, i got two of these
https://tubedepot.com/products/5670...jjG7Mb9rq9E8k9JfLlH_nj5rV7-W138YaAoOWEALw_wcB

and two of these
https://tubedepot.com/products/5670w-2c51w

Cheap by toob standards, and some seriously good sound.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #2,329 of 2,351
I threw one in my Vali 2++ and it seemed a little busy ... very dynamic for a tube but also slightly thin sounding. I know, makes no sense. At first I really liked what I heard.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #2,330 of 2,351
On the question of value, a small story. My family and friends think I'm crazy having multiple sets of headphones and generally think my hd650s and Nightowls are well too expensive.

For my 40th I decided to invite friends to contribute to my bokehs as this will likely be the most I ever spend on a set. All were super intrigued and spluttered when I said how much I'd be spending on them however were genuinely interested when they saw the photo.

Now having them in my hand I've got to say, they feel every bit of the money I've invested and sound every bit as special. Now showing them off to some of the contributors, all have been impressed, none have questioned the price to product and most are keen to get a listen.

All that to say that it's a lot of money but @zach915m you have made a product that looks, feels and sounds every bit of that and more and I'm grateful for it and you've left a lot of my family and friends impressed even knowing the cost which is no small achievement.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #2,331 of 2,351
All that to say that it's a lot of money but @zach915m you have made a product that looks, feels and sounds every bit of that and more and I'm grateful for it and you've left a lot of my family and friends impressed even knowing the cost which is no small achievement.
Thanks for posting this! :L3000:

Dwight THank You.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #2,332 of 2,351
On the question of value, a small story. My family and friends think I'm crazy having multiple sets of headphones and generally think my hd650s and Nightowls are well too expensive.

For my 40th I decided to invite friends to contribute to my bokehs as this will likely be the most I ever spend on a set. All were super intrigued and spluttered when I said how much I'd be spending on them however were genuinely interested when they saw the photo.

Now having them in my hand I've got to say, they feel every bit of the money I've invested and sound every bit as special. Now showing them off to some of the contributors, all have been impressed, none have questioned the price to product and most are keen to get a listen.

Love the idea of asking friends to subsidize my headphone purchases!

(wait--I don't have any friends)

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #2,333 of 2,351

I am thinking about a GoFundMe for my next ZMF purchase (not just limited to friends)! Just kidding...

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #2,334 of 2,351

Not on the Pharmaboy playlist in any format:
IMG_7919.jpeg
Secretly wants to hear someone say: "Pharmattaboy" !! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,335 of 2,351
I happen to own both Bokeh and DCA E3.

If you like Bokeh as linear and Harman-like as possible (for me suede pads without mesh), E3 would be even more Harman-like and clarity focused. It has less warmth and more energy on upper mids. For some the 3-4 kHz region might be a bit too forward (like 1-2 dB), but it makes everything sound very clear and lively. Bokeh is fuller sounding and more easy going for longer listening sessions. For perfect Harman tuning, E3 has a more even frequency response with less variation than Bokeh.

Soundstage on both is actually quite similar in style and size. Separation is good and they sound quite open and spacious. However, E3 brings vocals closer, so it many times feels more intimate for me.

Overall, I would call E3 an upgrade if you are looking for a super normal sounding (in a good way) closed headphone, but it costs a lot more. I am also not the biggest fan of its dip in the bass region, which makes midbass impact quite weak compared to dynamic driver headphones. Otherwise E3 sounds dynamic and not like Aeon series, for example.
Well put. One important thing I’d like to add is that both fit very differently, with the Bokeh being hands down the most comfortable HP I ever tried on. I’m pretty particular in this (sadly) and had my gripes with most of the closed back TOTL HPs (up to €2500), so loved the Bokeh even before I pressed Play.

Despite my comfort issues with the E3 and acknowledging that it’s sound is also somewhat fatiguing after a while if you listen to treble-prone music, I think it’s an amazing HP and it pairs/contrasts very well with the Bokeh (and/or the VC), which is why I’m still holding on to it… (for now)

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #2,336 of 2,351
My loaner Bokeh (w/beautiful burgundy stained wood) is burning in elsewhere in the house.

Haven't done intensive listening on the Bokeh yet ... but is there any more open & expansive sounding closed back headphone than this? I can't think of one.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #2,337 of 2,351
Okay so I removed the default mesh and re-installed the hybrid pads. Coming from the all suede pads there is definitely more clarity. The suede pads seemed so muffled or stuffy. I also didn't find them overly comfortable given their shape. So for now I'll stick with the hybrid pads and no mesh.

Giving some Dave Brubeck a spin right now through my Echo Mk2.

Attachments

• IMG_5440.JPG
    IMG_5440.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #2,339 of 2,351
These definitely have the boogie; Zach has smashed it out of the ballpark with the Bokeh tuning at this price point. I like it a lot more than the Atticus or Eikon. :)

Yes, higher-end ZMFs are more resolving, separate and layer better in a larger space, but this little Bokeh is a lot of fun and brings the natural and organic ZMF sound to a 1K price point where this kind of sound was never really heard before and is different to anything in the competition.
I am also usually quite 'allergic' to closed headphones as they tend to sound boxy and unnatural in many ways, but I don't have that notion with the Bokeh.
I am yet to experiment with all the tuning options of the two meshes plus all the earpads, but swapping pads is quite frustrating on the Bokeh. I can swap both pads on the Caldera under a minute, but the same technique is hard to apply on the Bokeh. You really need brute force and determination. Not something I look forward to, but hey, at least there is the option to swap pads.

PXL_20240426_073734555~2ddfff.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back