ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #2,311 of 2,351
Slightly overpriced or not
I think the reviewer was stating his subjective thought AFTER VAT, shipping and all the other stuff that's out of the control of ZMF because the reviewer is in the EU. While we're able to offer our headphones at a slightly discounted price upon release, it's not feasible to keep the headphones at that price given our lifetime driver warranty and security of ownership and service we provide.

When I first set out to make the BOKEH the price goal was 699 - but this was in 2019 before the pandemic. My method of pricing everything in our line-up is not to build in extra margins like many larger brands do with more extensive dealer networks and distributors. So I'm able to price our pads at 50-90 usd instead of 100-150 USD because we don't have a distributor network and don't sell to North American dealers. It causes some pains, like the wait times to get a headphone because you're not buying from a dealer, but it enables us to offer a hand assembled product made of wood, metal and leather at a price that's competitive with the rest of the market.

It's awesome that the viewpoint was that the release price was a great value, but I'd urge people to compare us to the rest of the market, instead of to ourselves when you look at the total package of warranty, build, R/D, service, and modularity of product both in function and sonics.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #2,312 of 2,351
I think the reviewer was stating his subjective thought AFTER VAT, shipping and all the other stuff that's out of the control of ZMF because the reviewer is in the EU. While we're able to offer our headphones at a slightly discounted price upon release, it's not feasible to keep the headphones at that price given our lifetime driver warranty and security of ownership and service we provide.

When I first set out to make the BOKEH the price goal was 699 - but this was in 2019 before the pandemic. My method of pricing everything in our line-up is not to build in extra margins like many larger brands do with more extensive dealer networks and distributors. So I'm able to price our pads at 50-90 usd instead of 100-150 USD because we don't have a distributor network and don't sell to North American dealers. It causes some pains, like the wait times to get a headphone because you're not buying from a dealer, but it enables us to offer a hand assembled product made of wood, metal and leather at a price that's competitive with the rest of the market.

It's awesome that the viewpoint was that the release price was a great value, but I'd urge people to compare us to the rest of the market, instead of to ourselves when you look at the total package of warranty, build, R/D, service, and modularity of product both in function and sonics.
I appreciate the ethos that you've established of quality craftmanship, unique designs, and superb, direct service. Bokeh punches well above its weight within the current headphone market, and while it is still a lot of money for most folks, the experience and the object are entirely different from what you might get at the same price from almost any other brand--a feeling of quality. The customizability of sound signature through pad swapping is always going to come with additional, optional costs, but the cost of pads seems very reasonable, and the result is the ability to tailor the headphone to one's particular preference or to change it over time--not something that comes easily with other brands.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #2,313 of 2,351
Agreed. There's an intangible magic to the Bokeh that's irresistible to me. It's easily supplanted the Atticus as my go to for fun. And it rivals the AC for overall enjoyment. To be at the lowest price point in the ZMF lineup is insane given how good this set sounds. IMO the best headphone to start with for any prospective ZMF buyers, unless they really want neutral, then the Auteur. Really want to hear it on a 300b amp too! Yes that's jealousy talking :)
I agree as well with one exception. My ACs are just hard for the Bokeh to match in terms of sound stage and the depth of the details that come through in the styles of music that I listen to. The ACs on my tube amp are just amazing and pair pretty well with the Homage!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #2,314 of 2,351

Your customers and followers are well aware all of this.
Those reviewers who understand the competition should also know better than focusing on $50 here and there or misunderstanding introduction discount.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #2,315 of 2,351
Yes, I'm a little late to the party, but after an unexpected journey through audiophile hell, I finally made it.
20240424_134659.jpg

and no, I'm not using my Sansui 881 to drive the Bokeh. The HP output impedance is way too high.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,316 of 2,351
Yes, I'm a little late to the party, but after an unexpected journey through audiophile hell, I finally made it.20240424_134659.jpg

and no, I'm not using my Sansui 881 to drive the Bokeh. The HP output impedance is way too high.
Congrats, that's a nice looking set! Love the deep red hue. Hey you never know, sometimes odd impedance matches work well. I'm finding the Bokeh to sound amazing on my Woo WA3 OTL, despite the very low dampening factor.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #2,317 of 2,351
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #2,318 of 2,351
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #2,319 of 2,351

Yes, indeed. We have to remember my original context here, as I view things from a local perspective. The headphone market looks a bit different here in Finland (and in Europe), but we still often buy products made in the US when they are good. For me personally, Bokeh with all the extras + shipping + VAT would be currently a bit too much compared to some other options I could buy for the same amount of money. Still, without the tuning kit or the leatherette case the total price would be almost the same that I paid at the launch including the tuning kit. Thus, the value is still there, but now with less extras.

I am a bit dissapointed with the price increase mainly because it feels a bit silly to review something that others cannot buy for the same price I did. As a consumer, I would naturally like to see others enjoying the best possible value as well. :smile: However, it is easy to understand all you said from your perspective. Thanks for all the additional information you provided! :slight_smile:
Would you be releasing a version in english of this review?

Let's see, as I have a long list of headphones to review and it already takes all my freetime – a positive problem for a headfier, I guess. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #2,321 of 2,351
I am a bit dissapointed with the price increase mainly because it feels a bit silly to review something that others cannot buy for the same price I did.
Hopefully you can see it as a release discount vs a price increase after release, as that is always my intent to reward early adopters with a price that helps us get the product out there for those willing to take a chance on us at the release of a product.

I would never increase the msrp after a product release as I too would be upset as a customer!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,322 of 2,351
Hopefully you can see it as a release discount vs a price increase after release, as that is always my intent to reward early adopters with a price that helps us get the product out there for those willing to take a chance on us at the release of a product.

I would never increase the msrp after a product release as I too would be upset as a customer!
Yes, I saw that as a discount and not as a active price increase. I actually didn't check how it got translated, but probably could have used a bit different phrase to help understand why the price is now higher (luckily written reviews are easy to edit afterwards). At the beginning of my review I mention about the release discount.

I think you have been very consistent as a headphone manufacturer, which I really like. It is easy to get excited when you release something new, as I can trust that you have put your heart and soul into it.

And I will never forget how you helped me with my Caldera (the reseller going out of business moment). Cannot thank you enough!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,323 of 2,351
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #2,324 of 2,351
Let's see, as I have a long list of headphones to review and it already takes all my freetime – a positive problem for a headfier, I guess. :sweat_smile:
Don't fret about it, @cgiammona was kind enough to provide an already translated version of your article. Thx!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back