ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #2,221 of 2,450
To be honest, after hearing it after a few weeks, I started to feel it wasn’t hitting my preferences even though it was great to listen to and was well balanced. It was pretty similar to my Aeolus, different obviously but something about the Bokeh wasn’t sitting right with me. It sounds a little “brittle” or not as weighty as the Aeolus, and I kept thinking maybe the VC would be a better closed back for me with what I’ve read about it. I guess the Bokeh and Aeolus are both “fun, warm-er, comfort food” headphones so to me they were a bit too similar.

I might get the bokeh again in the future but for now, my quest is to find a VC, and/or Atrium open. I just bought another Aeolus so when it arrives Monday I will start comparing to my current Aeolus and probably sell the current one. The one I just bought is African Blackwood and my current one is Cocobolo
Thanks for the answer.
If I find somewhere Auteur Classic , wil try it.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #2,222 of 2,450
Has anyone tried any of the universe pads with the bokeh?

My right ear seems to be touching something on the inside of the stock protein pads.

It honestly wasn't very noticeable at first, but after a couple of long sessions it has become pretty annoying.

I know the universe pads have always been very comfortable for me, so I hope there is one that sounds good with the Bokeh.

You can actually increase the height of the pads by putting in a bit of paracord around the inside edge of the pads. It goes under the foam, but above the mesh of the pad. That may help hold it away from your ears a bit.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #2,223 of 2,450
I heard the Bokeh at CanJam NYC--show conditions made it difficult to perceive the real nature of that sound. But I hope to soon have a loaner/review pair IMS, and "all will be revealed."

But a general comment: I owned an E-Mu Teak at one time and was very impressed with its sound, particularly the bass. I sold it only because the comfort with stock pads was quite bad (at least for me), and all my pad-rolling experiments failed.

As for ZMFs, I've heard them all; currently own 4; owned 3-4 others. I suspect pretty much any ZMF headphone would be a real upgrade to the E-Mu Teak, good as its sound is. To give just one example of a closed back: the ZMF Eikon (was discontinued, now coming back) had some of the most impactful, dynamic sound I ever encountered. The entire bass range was a revelation, as was the epic soundstaging. It's a more exciting headphone overall than the Teak, but it's hard to argue with excitement, plus it scales like mad on different DACs and amps.

ZMFs cost a multiple of the Teak, but every one I own, owned or heard is totally worth that cost.
Have you heard denon d7200? If yes
How will they compare to eikon and bokeh?

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #2,225 of 2,450
Oo, ok. I am since few days checking that. I think I am infected with ZMF.
But if this wil take too long I wil just buy what I was planning at the beginning, HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 stealth.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,226 of 2,450
Oo, ok. I am since few days checking that. I think I am infected with ZMF.
But if this wil take too long I wil just buy what I was planning at the beginning, HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 stealth.
What do you mean take too long?

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #2,227 of 2,450
I mean searching, thinking what to do ...
I would prefer I stabilised or LTD version of a ZMF headphone. But also I never hear ZMF headphone, and this is a problem, no store close to my home.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #2,228 of 2,450
I mean searching, thinking what to do ...
I would prefer I stabilised or LTD version of a ZMF headphone. But also I never hear ZMF headphone, and this is a problem, no store close to my home.
There will be stabilized sets available for sale on April 19th.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #2,229 of 2,450
Once you start listening to one, it’ll be easy to be hop on the zmf train. I was skeptical at first and now I’m wondering why I didn’t buy a zmf sooner. I’m even selling some other headphones I thought I never would because I want to try other ZMF’s that I feel would suit my taste perfectly.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #2,230 of 2,450
I would really like to be able, check some ZMF headphones. I am still trying.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #2,231 of 2,450
There will be stabilized sets available for sale on April 19th.
I almost mist this.
Of all models? O come on, 13 day waiting, it is eternity.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #2,232 of 2,450
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,233 of 2,450
Thanks for the info, if i wil be strong enough to wait - I do not have headphones now - I will wait till the 19 04

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #2,234 of 2,450
Been listening to the Bokeh at work today, and I stumbled on a really sublime, compact chain that I'm very much enjoying.

Pixel 8 Pro>USB Audio Player Pro/TIDAL>Cayin RU7>Nitsch Piety

PXL_20240406_222643161.jpg

I was worried that it might be a little too laid back sounding, with the warmer amp and R2R DAC, but that's very much not the case. There's some great synergy here, and it really brings out the best of the Bokeh in a very small (and affordable) setup.

The Schiit Magni Unity is also a great inexpensive, all-in-one option if you want to further reduce the footprint/wire clutter. While the internal DAC of the Magni Unity is solid, the amp really shines when you pair it with a better DAC.

I've also switched back to the Protein Pads for the last few week or so. Ultimately, I missed the extra bass and transient response that the non-suede material provides. I also went mesh free, as I found that worked better for me with warmer sources. That's the great thing about having the tuning kit, you can really dial in the sound to match your chain and listening preferences.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #2,235 of 2,450
Been listening to the Bokeh at work today, and I stumbled on a really sublime, compact chain that I'm very much enjoying.

Pixel 8 Pro>USB Audio Player Pro/TIDAL>Cayin RU7>Nitsch Piety

PXL_20240406_222643161.jpg

I was worried that it might be a little too laid back sounding, with the warmer amp and R2R DAC, but that's very much not the case. There's some great synergy here, and it really brings out the best of the Bokeh in a very small (and affordable) setup.

The Schiit Magni Unity is also a great inexpensive, all-in-one option if you want to further reduce the footprint/wire clutter. While the internal DAC of the Magni Unity is solid, the amp really shines when you pair it with a better DAC.

I've also switched back to the Protein Pads for the last few week or so. Ultimately, I missed the extra bass and transient response that the non-suede material provides. I also went mesh free, as I found that worked better for me with warmer sources. That's the great thing about having the tuning kit, you can really dial in the sound to match your chain and listening preferences.
I have not used the "MagPi" in a long while and just connected it to the Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode). Very nice and the Piety does accentuate the Bokeh's bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back