ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #1,741 of 2,348
Would love to take a vote on which mesh/ pad combo peeps are finding the best for their beloved Bokeh.........

I am using the vented mesh with hybrid pads at the moment. Might switch to the protein pads to add a hint of warmth and low end boost.
After trying every combination, I settled on Hybrid Pads and Burst Mesh

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #1,742 of 2,348
Would love to take a vote on which mesh/ pad combo peeps are finding the best for their beloved Bokeh.........

I am using the vented mesh with hybrid pads at the moment. Might switch to the protein pads to add a hint of warmth and low end boost.
Hybrid Pads and Solid Mesh for me, and loving every second.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #1,744 of 2,348

after a lot of trials I ended up loving the stock setup best. vented mesh and protein pads.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #1,745 of 2,348
Mine should (hopefully) be shipping tomorrow! They were ready to ship last week, but I was moving this week and couldn't be sure I'd be at whichever address I shipped it to.
Super excited!

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #1,746 of 2,348
I literally switched to solid mesh from vented ones last night after I initially commented here. But I am never taking off the hybrid pads.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #1,747 of 2,348

This is my preference as well. I don't notice a major difference with the mesh, but solid seems to roll off the highs just a little bit more. Hybrid + Solid is, as I said in a previous comment, similar to the Audioquest NightOwl tuning (but an improvement in every way).

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #1,748 of 2,348
I definitely prefer the hybrid pads, but switch back and forth between burst and solid mesh. I think I prefer the burst but sometimes I feel like its placebo and I can't really discern a difference between meshes. I can definitively notice a difference between pads though.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #1,749 of 2,348
This is my preference as well. I don't notice a major difference with the mesh, but solid seems to roll off the highs just a little bit more. Hybrid + Solid is, as I said in a previous comment, similar to the Audioquest NightOwl tuning (but an improvement in every way).
I miss that headphone.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #1,750 of 2,348
I definitely prefer the hybrid pads, but switch back and forth between burst and solid mesh. I think I prefer the burst but sometimes I feel like its placebo and I can't really discern a difference between meshes. I can definitively notice a difference between pads though.
I agree that I can hear a difference in pads but very little with the meshes. I found this graph helpful.
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 12.22.59 PM.png

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #1,752 of 2,348
For me, the protein pads adds just a little too much low end power to the sound of my Bokeh, regardless of which mesh i use. The hybrid pads tames the low end ever so slightly and accentuates the mids and top end. The Solid mesh, and yes i agree that its effects are minimal, cleans up the top end and makes vocals and instruments so smooth, resulting in a very clear, easy to listen to sound. I have not tried the suede pads and probably wont do so for a while because i need to get used to the sound of the solid mesh. However, if anyone tries out the suede pads, please do chime in, Id love to hear your impressions.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #1,753 of 2,348
synergy alert: Schiit Folkvangr (discontinued) via Modi Multibit and a couple Bugle Boy e88cc up front > Bokeh.

I recently took my NightOwl (carbon for those keeping score) remembering the similar, darker tone, but there is no comparison. Bokeh has more space, detail, deeper bass, more extended FR. Night Owl was $700 retail, to compete fairly it would have been half of that.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #1,755 of 2,348
If you’re into PEQ, oratory1990’s settings for ZMF Eikon are loving the Bokeh I received yesterday from Switzerland.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxt8liitfys9lt6/ZMF Eikon.pdf?dl=0

Bokeh seems more open and plays nicer with my hearing damage above 6-8kHz.

I don’t understand EQ very well and get bogged down in testing my own settings. Oratory1990 and the database linked on Qudelix 5K are a godsend for types like me.

Chain:

Qobuz + Roon > Mac mini 2014 with TeraDak LPS > Red Wine Isabellina > Pathos Aurium > ZMF Bokeh with stock pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back