ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 18, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #1,516 of 2,346
I'm not blaming the Bokeh per se as they're too heavy for me, i.e. someone who played a good amount of American football and have a sh1t work posture (which I'm working on) — not to mention that I'm picky from a comfort standpoint.
All you have to do is shift the headband forward on your head. That’ll balance the weight with your poor posture. I would know since I have similarly horrible posture.

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #1,518 of 2,346
Thanks, I tried this and it indeed helped but only for a while…
So sorry to hear that mate!! But if they don't work for you, then they don't work. Good luck getting something that suits and GLWS - lots of people will be keen to buy!

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #1,519 of 2,346
Shipped yesterday afternoon, received this morning. Pays off to live close to Zach's :)

Love this thing. I'm planning on a short comparison of all my ZMFs at some point on 2-3 different amps. I don't think I'll roll pads - it'll get too complicated.

From left to right: (Nautilus 805), Caldera, Atrium Open, Auteur Classic, Atrium Closed, Bokeh

That's a great collection. That olive wood set is particularly beautiful.

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #1,520 of 2,346
That's a great collection. That olive wood set is particularly beautiful.
Thanks! I love the olive wood AC and the original AO the best! I’m particular to olive wood, though, as I have olive fields in Greece from my great grandfather. I have talked to Zach about using one of these trees to build a batch of headphones. Now that would be very special to me :) Trying to bring a tree through customs is a nightmare…

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #1,521 of 2,346
Thanks! I love the olive wood AC and the original AO the best! I’m particular to olive wood, though, as I have olive fields in Greece from my great grandfather. I have talked to Zach about using one of these trees to build a batch of headphones. Now that would be very special to me :) Trying to bring a tree through customs is a nightmare…

Maybe only part of a tree would be easier. :wink:

That would be amazing.

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #1,522 of 2,346
Maybe only part of a tree would be easier. :wink:

That would be amazing.
It is going to be processed into planks as Zach has specified, but it’s part of a bigger project for small furniture where we have to bring in bigger pieces. The transport is not so much the problem; it’s the regulations and paperwork for importing what’s considered a “live” piece of wood.

At any rate, I think we’re getting closer. I don’t want to get too off topic here :) I think some members may be interested to see how the wood for their headphone was harvested for a particular batch from trees that are close to 200 years old (we have to cut them and replace them after this long), so I documented the entire process on video and I’ll send it to Zach, if that materializes. Then, I’ll have something forever that I’ll use every day that my great grandfather planted with his hands in the 1850s…

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #1,523 of 2,346
It is going to be processed into planks as Zach has specified, but it’s part of a bigger project for small furniture where we have to bring in bigger pieces. The transport is not so much the problem; it’s the regulations and paperwork for importing what’s considered a “live” piece of wood.

At any rate, I think we’re getting closer. I don’t want to get too off topic here :) I think some members may be interested to see how the wood for their headphone was harvested for a particular batch from trees that are close to 200 years old (we have to cut them and replace them after this long), so I documented the entire process on video and I’ll send it to Zach, if that materializes. Then, I’ll have something forever that I’ll use every day that my great grandfather planted with his hands in the 1850s…

It truly sounds like an amazing project. I hope that you can find a way through the regulations. Is it CITIES that's the issue?

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #1,524 of 2,346
It truly sounds like an amazing project. I hope that you can find a way through the regulations. Is it CITIES that's the issue?
No, fortunately it is not an endangered species (there’s a LOT of olive trees in Greece :) ). It mostly has to do with getting an approved processor to show that it has been properly processed against disease. The USDA is a stickler about that…

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #1,525 of 2,346
Gotten a lot more time in with Bokeh and it’s become my favorite headphone for playing guitar and learning songs through. Something I’m definitely noticing more is how I’m hearing new reverbs in songs I’ve heard a bunch before. It’s almost like it helps place you in the room better, it’s really cool.

Compared directly to my Focal Radiance, the difference is pretty big. Much more space than in the radiance and my guitar tone is much more accurate to how I hear it out of an amp when I’m playing normally. I could easily “make do” with Radiance haha and I enjoy them but they are very in your face and definitely brighter/ borderline abrasive to my ears on some songs.

Lovin it!

Edited!! I meant to say the Bokeh has much more space to me than radiance and my guitar tone is more natural sounding in Bokeh! I changed it above

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,526 of 2,346
For those of you who are lucky enough to posses a set of Bokeh, what are your preferred amps of listening with? Solid State or Tube/OTL/TC amp?

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #1,527 of 2,346
For those of you who are lucky enough to posses a set of Bokeh, what are your preferred amps of listening with? Solid State or Tube/OTL/TC amp?
I've run the Bokeh with the Bliss, HA-300MKII, and the Hiby RS6.

It sounds lovely with all 3, and I don't prefer one or the other. It depends on my mood or what I'm doing.

I work in the office 2 to 3 days a week, and it's great being able to bring these to the office, using the RS6 and not be tied to the desk.

When I work from home, I may start the morning in the mood for that tube sound and end the day with that clean SS sound with the Bliss or the other way around.

For me the Bokeh is not the kind of headphone that needs a particular kind of amp. Unlike the Atrium, 800s, or the Expanse where I will only listen on tubes, or the Caldera, Meze Elite, and Arya where I will always prefer the Bliss.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #1,528 of 2,346
I have run the Bokeh through - Decware Tube Amp, Woo Audio WA8 Tube Amp, Burston Playmate 2, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus, and the Cayin RU7. Preference so far is the Woo Audio WA8, but still more listening and burn in required. Also, using both the 4.4 Balanced and 3.5 single ended cables.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #1,529 of 2,346
I have run the Bokeh through - Decware Tube Amp, Woo Audio WA8 Tube Amp, Burston Playmate 2, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus, and the Cayin RU7. Preference so far is the Woo Audio WA8, but still more listening and burn in required. Also, using both the 4.4 Balanced and 3.5 single ended cables.
What do you think of the Fiio M11 Plus/Pro and the RU7?

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #1,530 of 2,346
What do you think of the Fiio M11 Plus/Pro and the RU7?
So, the M11 Plus is a very good player but with the Bokeh, the soundstage seems a bit muted - my Meze 109Pros are much more dynamic on the M11 Plus. As for the RU7, I still need more time but my impressions vary whether I am running it off my computer or my iPhone. Using the computer and the RU7 is much better than the iPhone and RU7 - could be power limitations of the iPhone but the two don't sound the same with the Bokeh (I think Wes who comments on this thread had a similar experience). I bought the RU7 to use with my iPhone so hopefully that will improve as it gets more playing time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back