ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #1,546 of 2,370
I don't mean to get into a cable debate, but I am guessing you all use the third party cables because you need a different length or the quality is different, correct? There is a USB C-USB C cable that is included with the RU7, which works fine and is rather short, correct?

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #1,547 of 2,370
I don't mean to get into a cable debate, but I am guessing you all use the third party cables because you need a different length or the quality is different, correct? There is a USB C-USB C cable that is included with the RU7, which works fine and is rather short, correct?
I think some folks are Apple iPhone users, and in some phone models there are power limits that may be addressed with different usb-c cables. I am not an iPhone user so I don’t follow that discussion too closely.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,548 of 2,370
Was that balanced or single-ended?

If single-ended, I'd recommend you give a shot to the Bokeh balanced via a DAP, single-ended via an desktop amp.

Especially given the good price and looks of ZMF's 4.4 cable.
Both balanced and SE for me

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #1,550 of 2,370
Yes, there is a short USB-C to USB-C cable included with the RU7. Some people purchased this other cable for sound quality improvements and I found that the supplied cable produced different results using my Mac compared to my iPhone.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #1,551 of 2,370
On both the M11 and the RS6 I run 4.4.

I run XLR on my desktop setup, and for the Bokeh I use my heart audio cable system. It allows me to switch from the DAP to my desktop without having to constantly pull and switch cables on the headphones to move from 4.4 to XLR.

I personally don't like using 4.4 on my desktop hardware.

Alright, interesting, I had lots of success with the notoriously underpowered — even uncapped as it was the case — Sony ZX507.
Better than the more powerful RU7 but I'm into a relaxed sound so YMMV.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #1,552 of 2,370
Running the RU7 from my iPhone is nice but way too much of a battery drain to be practical in EDC. Typically only use it with my Macbook or my Android phone/test device. But it is an exceptionally good match with the Bokeh for the cost. Very different than the RU6.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #1,553 of 2,370
Alright, interesting, I had lots of success with the notoriously underpowered — even uncapped as it was the case — Sony ZX507.
I do think that my Bokeh's need more burn-in time and so far I have stayed with the default tuning (protein pads and burst mesh) as ZMF said it was the most dynamic. Shortly, I will try the hybrid pads and titan mesh to see how that tuning compares.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1,554 of 2,370
Running the RU7 from my iPhone is nice but way too much of a battery drain to be practical in EDC. Typically only use it with my Macbook or my Android phone/test device. But it is an exceptionally good match with the Bokeh for the cost. Very different than the RU6.
So far, my iPhone 15 Pro Max has handled the battery drain pretty well but I am not using it for music listening more than an hour per day.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #1,555 of 2,370
For folks looking for a dongle with lots of power, you might want to look at the FiiO KA17, which includes a desktop power mode with 650mW balanced. I cannot comment on how it sounds compared to the RU6 / RU7 as I don’t own the KA17, but have been thinking about it.

Feb 19, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,556 of 2,370
I was surprised as well that I had to turn it up to high gain on the M11.

I'm not really an IEM guy, as I only use them when I have a headache and I can't deal with the clamp from an over ear, or when traveling. On the M11 I always had to run all my IEMs on medium gain where other DAPS I had like the HiBy R5 or Shanling M3 I never felt the need to go beyond low gain.

The Bokeh is going to be my traveling headphones so the IEMs will now only be used when I have a headache.

Feb 19, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #1,557 of 2,370
So far, my iPhone 15 Pro Max has handled the battery drain pretty well but I am not using it for music listening more than an hour per day.
Yeah I’ve got an older 13 pro model so the battery drain is pretty fast at this point. I work on mobile apps so having a burner Android phone with a big battery I replace every couple of years is better for me than keeping up with the latest iPhone hype

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #1,558 of 2,370
I do still think that stand-alone desk mics will be of better quality, or anything that has it's own dedicated power supply, but for the purpose these have been working great and sounding pretty good.
I got to test the mic cable very briefly, and the sound quality was actually pretty good. The mic itself was somewhat more sensitive than what i have been used to (v moda boom pro), so it picked up more unwanted noises. It's not bad, but could be little bit less sensitive. I haven't used any PC software to filter the mic sound, so it might be a non-issue on PC.

What i would want to change about the cable is the cable itself. It's kind of stiff, and with the sleeving it's also microphonic. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, but the somewhat sensitive mic picked up those microphonics whenever i moved.
Having softer and less microphonic cable would be great. Maybe something like the softer woven iem cables, or softer sleeving could do the trick.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #1,559 of 2,370
For folks looking for a dongle with lots of power, you might want to look at the FiiO KA17, which includes a desktop power mode with 650mW balanced. I cannot comment on how it sounds compared to the RU6 / RU7 as I don’t own the KA17, but have been thinking about it.

KA17 will sound brighter and drier when compared to Duo Cayin RU. Tonal and technical wise Cayin RU7 is "the best" in this group.

I never paired any of them with Bokeh though, so I don't know which of them has best synergy with Bokeh,

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #1,560 of 2,370
I own the KA17, but as I don't have a balanced cable for the Bokeh, I'm not really able to test it to its full potential. It sounds good on single-ended though.

I've heard that RU7 has issues with popping and clicks; haven't encountered that on the KA17 yet. But it is ESS and will have the ESS house sound, if that's not your thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back