ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #1,577 of 2,432
The ZMF room is very dangerous to your wallet. I had never listened to ZMF, or really explored them before. I proceeded to leave with the LTD Atrium Closed.
I’m hoping the Caldera closed is so good that I won’t want to buy anything at the show and I can save up and sell off my other gear while waiting for it to come out 😂

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #1,578 of 2,432
To my ears, a closed Atrium is better than an open one. I can imagine what the Caldera will be like (I haven’t received the open one yet, I’m already tired of waiting). But I'm afraid that the head of the branch of my bank will not like all this very much. :thinking: :smile:

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,579 of 2,432
I find the excitement about closed-backs interesting. Sure, I also can't wait to hear the closed Caldera, and it is true that ZMF makes the best sounding closed-back headphones to my ears from any brand. Yet, I prefer the open versions even in the ZMF lineup. :)

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #1,580 of 2,432
To my ears, a closed Atrium is better than an open one. I can imagine what the Caldera will be like (I haven’t received the open one yet, I’m already tired of waiting). But I'm afraid that the head of the branch of my bank will not like all this very much. :thinking: :smile:

I demoed EVERY model they had, but I could not get over the sheer impact of the Atrium Closed. I've never heard anything like it. I sold off my Utopia and Stellia after I heard them.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #1,581 of 2,432
I find the excitement about closed-backs interesting. Sure, I also can't wait to hear the closed Caldera, and it is true that ZMF makes the best sounding closed-back headphones to my ears from any brand. Yet, I prefer the open versions even in the ZMF lineup. :)

For me, I'm just glad to have found a brand that really puts a lot of effort into making closed-backs sound great, which I know is not easy. Unfortunately my impression of closed-backs from Hifiman and Sennheiser is that they're not quite what they should be--they almost feel like afterthoughts. And other closed-backs I've tried are either way too bright or lack proper isolation.

As someone who lives in a noisy environment and really can't stand external noise intruding in on the music, closed-backs are essential for me and ZMF seems to be the best closed-back manufacturer out there. The Bokeh is truly the headphone I've been looking for to replace my beloved NightOwl (while being a step-up sonically).

And I haven't tried all the tuning combinations yet, but solid mesh + hybrid pads gets a lot of praise and I can see why. This might be the end-game for this headphone. :o2smile:

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #1,582 of 2,432
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #1,583 of 2,432
I was like a kid in a Candy Store, when I first walked into the ZMF room at CanJam Dallas. I was actually a bit overwhelmed, had goosebumps, and could barely think straight for the first couple of minutes, as there was so much beauty to behold. :grin:

I can't wait for this year's CanJam Dallas!
And then you got your eyes off Zach and looked at the gear…

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,585 of 2,432
For me, I'm just glad to have found a brand that really puts a lot of effort into making closed-backs sound great, which I know is not easy. Unfortunately my impression of closed-backs from Hifiman and Sennheiser is that they're not quite what they should be--they almost feel like afterthoughts. And other closed-backs I've tried are either way too bright or lack proper isolation.

As someone who lives in a noisy environment and really can't stand external noise intruding in on the music, closed-backs are essential for me and ZMF seems to be the best closed-back manufacturer out there. The Bokeh is truly the headphone I've been looking for to replace my beloved NightOwl (while being a step-up sonically).

And I haven't tried all the tuning combinations yet, but solid mesh + hybrid pads gets a lot of praise and I can see why. This might be the end-game for this headphone. :o2smile:
I agree, I find most closed backs from other brands 'handicapped' efforts with serious compromises that can often qualify as faults. I could probably count on one hand, how many of them I find listenable (which is still far from enjoyment). ZMF closed backs are special and pretty much the only brand where I can enjoy sound in a closed cup design. Yet the airy naturalness of open headphones is just unbeatable for me. (And you don't even have to worry about bass with the AO or Caldera open. :) )
That said, I understand there is a need for closed backs due to environment issues which is absolutely fine. Zach worked true wizardry with the damping system.
Also, I find the Bokeh (from audition) a fantastic headphone for the price regardless its closed cups. :thumbsup:

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #1,586 of 2,432
And then you got your eyes off Zach and looked at the gear…
LOL! You are right, finally getting to meet Zach and Bevin was the real highlight for me. Katherine and Kevin were also a pleasant surprise. They are great people!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,587 of 2,432
yeah, I want more love for high end closed backs...it seems alot of manufacturers spend an inordinate time making open backs all day long

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #1,588 of 2,432
yeah, I want more love for high end closed backs...it seems alot of manufacturers spend an inordinate time making open backs all day long
You are not alone. :grin:

I love how Zach tunes his closed backs, and I pretty much always prefer them to the open backs. For me ZMF's closed backs have a bit more spice/fun in the tuning, vs. the usually more linear/safer tuning of the open backs.

It's great to have options, and I love how there is usually a C and O version for each headphone.

That being said, I do plan to add a few open backs to my collection eventually, but for now I am rocking the closed backs and loving every second. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #1,589 of 2,432
You are not alone. :grin:

I love how Zach tunes his closed backs, and I pretty much always prefer them to the open backs. For me ZMF's closed backs have a bit more spice/fun in the tuning, vs. the usually more linear/safer tuning of the open backs.

It's great to have options, and I love how there is usually a C and O version for each headphone.

That being said, I do plan to add a few open backs to my collection eventually, but for now I am rocking the closed backs and loving every second. :o2smile:
Zach said an open back Bokeh would be coming at some point this year - now that could tempt me to try a ZMF Open Back. I love the AC and the Bokeh.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #1,590 of 2,432
Zach said an open back Bokeh would be coming at some point this year - now that could tempt me to try a ZMF Open Back. I love the AC and the Bokeh.
My thoughts exactly. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back