ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #1,381 of 2,346
Assuming that you are shipping based on when ordered, can you post each Friday up to where in the queue you are in shipping? That is, through orders received on 12/17/23 at 2:43PM Eastern, or something like that?
I can definitely strive to provide more updates here but don't hold me to it. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't want to promise to do it and then forget. :L3000:

We are currently working on a better order tracking system for future owners, it should be up in a month or two.

But yes just ask each week if you'd like and I can provide info, there's almost exactly 100 units to get out from the first batch so if we do a good job we should be complete by the first week of March. But again, can't promise! Quality over QTY always.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #1,382 of 2,346
I can definitely strive to provide more updates here but don't hold me to it. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't want to promise to do it and then forget. :L3000:

We are currently working on a better order tracking system for future owners, it should be up in a month or two.

But yes just ask each week if you'd like and I can provide info, there's almost exactly 100 units to get out from the first batch so if we do a good job we should be complete by the first week of March. But again, can't promise! Quality over QTY always.
Sounds good. Definitely emphasis on Quality, please!

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #1,384 of 2,346
Had a great time tonight listening to music with a friend and showing him the BOKEH. Listened to lots of Soundtracks such as the Beyond Journeys End OST and the Fire Force/ Vinland Saga S02 OPs. We were plugged into a DDJ 1000 SRT Board while we sat on the sub woofer lol.

He wants a BOKEH now. Excellent for rock.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #1,385 of 2,346
The Jotunheim 2 with MultiBit card in low gain provided more than ample power for the Bokeh with a consequent amount of headroom. While I usually prefer a well-implemented single-ended output, I must admit that the Bokeh benefited from the balanced output which gave them more life in the midrange with a bit more detail overall. Balanced offered a relaxed listen, single-ended even more so.

The Sony NW-WM1AM2, uncapped and balanced, provided an equally satisfactory, if not at times better, experience with the added benefit of being able to move around.

Follow-up to my first impressions above and, more specifically, the synergy of the Bokeh with different sources.

The Sony NW-ZX507 similarly does a good job of powering the Bokeh.
However, as it has already been mentioned here, the synergy with the Cayin RU7 (set in DSD 64) truly is something special.
In comparison, the Jotunheim 2 with MultiBit card in low gain isn't only grossly overpowered, it simply doesn't sound as good as with the RU7. Nuts.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #1,386 of 2,346
Follow-up to my first impressions above and, more specifically, the synergy of the Bokeh with different sources.

However, as it has already been mentioned here, the synergy with the Cayin RU7 (set in DSD 64) truly is something special.
In comparison, the Jotunheim 2 with MultiBit card in low gain isn't only grossly overpowered, it simply doesn't sound as good as with the RU7. Nuts.
That mobile DAC sounds nuts too. Now I want something else haha.

Cyan2 and the RU7

I'm excited to listen for changes to the sound with a different file format(DSD) but let me pass swap the BOKEH first lol.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #1,387 of 2,346
That mobile DAC sounds nuts too. Now I want something else haha.

Cyan2 and the RU7

I'm excited to listen for changes to the sound with a different file format(DSD) but let me pass swap the BOKEH first lol.

Yup, moving away from fancy desktop gear. Many very nice things out there but, at the end of the day they never get much use with me.

I’m eying Woo Audio’s Tube Mini though, I just wish it came with a case/sleeve like the RU7, I think it would be more useful than the case it comes with.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #1,389 of 2,346
where my Bokeh at?????

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #1,390 of 2,346

Little important addition — the Sony NW-ZX507 (balanced, uncapped) sounding very close to the RU7, perhaps just a tad more analogue and with a bigger soundstage at the expense of a tad less dynamics — I was wondering how it compared directly with the Sony NW-WM1AM2… well, like with the RU7, the synergy with the Bokeh and Sony NW-ZX507 is just phenomenal and much better than with the WM1AM2 — go figure 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,391 of 2,346
Can anyone explain what’s different/special about the Bokeh with RU7 compared to other pairings you’ve tried? Trying to see if it’s worth grabbing one just for fun! I’m currently using Burson 3xp or ifi signature finale with Bokeh.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #1,392 of 2,346
Little important addition — the Sony NW-ZX507 (balanced, uncapped) sounding very close to the RU7, perhaps just a tad more analogue and with a bigger soundstage at the expense of a tad less dynamics — I was wondering how it compared directly with the Sony NW-WM1AM2… well, like with the RU7, the synergy with the Bokeh and Sony NW-ZX507 is just phenomenal and much better than with the WM1AM2 — go figure 🤷🏼‍♂️
Are you using the RU7 directly from your phone or tablet or via a computer? My Bokeh's will be here shortly and I am looking forward to trying them with the RU7 as well as the Woo Audio WA8.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #1,393 of 2,346

I always say to my friends, trust the process!

I know things are a bit slow right now, but hey you're getting units out and that is what really matters. Can't wait for mine!

Getting tired of the headphones I made myself :v

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #1,394 of 2,346
Are you using the RU7 directly from your phone or tablet or via a computer? My Bokeh's will be here shortly and I am looking forward to trying them with the RU7 as well as the Woo Audio WA8.
Via a computer (MacBook Air M1, 2020) — I will test the RU7 from my iPhone 13 but remember well that there was a difference with computers and tablets making a positive difference with both the RU6 and RU7 compared to a smartphone.

This is why I was so surprised, even prior trying them with the Bokeh, that, balanced, my ZX507 sounded similar-yet-a-tad-better than my RU7 from a computer, the latter also being more powerful by a good margin.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #1,395 of 2,346
Can anyone explain what’s different/special about the Bokeh with RU7 compared to other pairings you’ve tried? Trying to see if it’s worth grabbing one just for fun! I’m currently using Burson 3xp or ifi signature finale with Bokeh.

As usual, this applies to my brain/ears so YMMV — Compared to my Schiit Jotunheim 2 Multibit and Sony NW-WM1AM2, the RU7* and Sony NW-ZX507** sounded better for the following reasons (note that my Bokeh setup is with the suede pads and stock burst mesh and I'm using them with the ZMF 4.4 balanced cable):
  • Balanced, the Jotunheim 2 was too powerful and dynamic for my tastes (vol. was max. at 9 o'clock on low gain, so imagine the headroom) something which, for exemple, didn't happen with my Grado SR325X albeit it was via single-ended which might be the main issue here

• Balanced, the Sony WM1AM2 turned out to be a tad too laid back / anaemic or diffuse in comparison — good to go if you don't compare but, as soon as you do, you realise you've been missing something

• Balanced, both the ZX507 and RU7 straddle that line in-between the aforementioned two in a surprising way — they're the sweet spot retaining the necessary amount of dynamism all the while being a relaxed listen, i.e. not too much in your face

I'm gobsmacked by the ZX507 and extremely happy with the synergy it has with the Bokeh as it's my favourite DAP from a form-factor standpoint.

I'd rank the synergies with the Bokeh as follow: ZX507 > RU7 > Jotunheim 2 Multibit > WM1AM2.

* High gain, DSD64
** Uncapped, high gain, DC Phase Linearizer Type B STANDARD & Vinyl Processor Standard both ON

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back