ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 8, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,352 of 2,370
This song sounds the best I have ever heard it, with the Bokeh. :grin: I feel like this song really showcases what this headphone can do.

p3E2fkr.png

Happy Listening!
Are you using Hybrid pads and titan mesh?

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #1,353 of 2,370
Either way though I'm a pretty big proponent for using some form of high quality upsampling rather than relying on the one in your DAC. It can be a pretty surprising improvement.
I agree with you on high quality upsampling. I use Audirvana software through my Mac to the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 to my Decware Tube Amp. Audirvana provides multiple upsampling algorithms.

As for PCM and DSD, I have purchased numerous DSD files (I use my Mytek DAC for DSD files, Bifrost would require converting to PCM) through HDtracks and while the sound can be quite amazing, I still prefer PCM. At the end of the day, it is preference if the equipment used or each is optimal.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #1,354 of 2,370
Yeah neither DSD nor PCM are inherently better than the other. They're fundamentally different and have different tradeoffs in how they work and how they need to be reproduced by the hardware/DAC.

The answer to 'which is better' in the real world is entirely dependent on how your DAC handles each one.
R2R DACs can convert PCM natively, without any modulation to lower bit depths. And so I often find that they sound better with PCM. (Some R2R DACs like the Cyan 2 also have a 2nd DAC internally which is dedicated for DSD, and so it's worth trying both to see which you prefer, it's effectively two DACs in one box. Others like Rockna convert to PCM internally and always use the R2R Ladder so you're definitely better off just feeding them PCM).

Delta Sigma DACs cannot convert PCM natively, and must modulate to a lower bit depth. Typically their converters are actually 5-7bit, and so in some cases you may find that feeding PCM and using the internal modulator to 5 bit may be best, other times you may find that using a high performance 1-bit modulator from HQP will sound better. Though this is again dependent on whether the DAC actually converts DSD natively or whether it resamples/converts it internally such as ESS chips do.

My general experience has been that the following options were best:

Holo - PCM (but DSD is close and it'll be up to personal preference)
Rockna - PCM
Denafrips - PCM
ESS - PCM
AKM - DSD
Burr-Brown - DSD
T+A - DSD (They use Burr-Brown for PCM but a dedicated 1-bit converter for DSD which was subjectively and objectively better)
Cirrus - DSD

Either way though I'm a pretty big proponent for using some form of high quality upsampling rather than relying on the one in your DAC. It can be a pretty surprising improvement. More so on NOS DACs since they can take more advantage of everything HQP/PGGB can do but still the case on DS DACs too just to a bit lesser of an extent.
Thank you so much for all these details. Ever since I started experimenting with HQ Player, gone through several amps, and headphones, I've wanted to experiment with a higher end DAC. Very helpful

I was using hqplayer on tubes last night and had a great time. I'll do more comparisons with and without hqplayer to see if I can really notice much.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,355 of 2,370
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,356 of 2,370
Took delivery of my Bokeh set today. They're warming up to room temp as I type this. They're beautiful. Thank you, @zach915m, @BooUrns, and the rest of the crew at ZMF. So hyped!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #1,357 of 2,370
Yes, that is my favorite configuration.
I just got mine today! After a little headband tweak I’m loving the fit and the whole package and build is stellar! Haven’t gotten to listen much but all the reviews seem pretty spot on from my first, non burned in, impression. Awesome bass with a unique rumble, prominent vocals/midrange with a darker tilt, still nice imaging and detail happening though. Only listened with stock configuration thus far.

I’m wondering, if someone wanted to add a bit more detail, would that happen with cutting out the thin mesh on the pads? Or adding a high shelf? I’ll try the high shelf later tonight but don’t want to mess up the pads if that’s a silly idea 🙃

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,358 of 2,370
I just got mine today! After a little headband tweak I’m loving the fit and the whole package and build is stellar! Haven’t gotten to listen much but all the reviews seem pretty spot on from my first, non burned in, impression. Awesome bass with a unique rumble, prominent vocals/midrange with a darker tilt, still nice imaging and detail happening though. Only listened with stock configuration thus far.

I’m wondering, if someone wanted to add a bit more detail, would that happen with cutting out the thin mesh on the pads? Or adding a high shelf? I’ll try the high shelf later tonight but don’t want to mess up the pads if that’s a silly idea 🙃

Thanks!
I wouldn't start cutting the pads up - first remove the burst mesh if you haven't already. That's the metallic mesh behind the pad that's screwed in place in front of the driver (just be cautious because the plastic grille protecting the driver is attached with the same screws)

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #1,359 of 2,370
Dear lord in good heavens on a holy cow! Just put those scissors away! :)

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #1,360 of 2,370
I wouldn't start cutting the pads up - first remove the burst mesh if you haven't already. That's the metallic mesh behind the pad that's screwed in place in front of the driver (just be cautious because the plastic grille protecting the driver is attached with the same screws)
😂 good call, I for some reason thought the installed mesh added treble and the tuning kit one took it away… I must have read wrong

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #1,361 of 2,370
Dear lord in good heavens on a holy cow! Just put those scissors away! :)
Hahaha well I had some JM audio XTC for a while and they were too dark and not detailed for me and he suggested cutting out that mesh on the pad so I figured it may work here.

I wasn’t planning on messing with anything anyway until I listen for a week or two stock and they’ve settled in 😊

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #1,362 of 2,370
😂 good call, I for some reason thought the installed mesh added treble and the tuning kit one took it away… I must have read wrong
That's actually correct - but no mesh at all should give you a bit more on the high end. The stock one (burst) is kinda the middle ground.

*edit - also for the record, I've cut the backs off a pair of Dekoni pads on the 109 Pros and it did help do what I wanted - but you've got other options to try here first! :grin:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #1,365 of 2,370
Letting them break-in with everything stock and my music is starting to open up. Early going, I'm very happy. With my desktop rig, the staging is pretty darn wide and deep, much less for a closed-back. Not much of any muddying the sonics, so ADS is doing its job. Very fun. With the DAP things are closer together, but the headphone is still properly amped, quite fun and insightful. That maybe its optimal pairing with the gear I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back