ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,891 of 2,540
I've spent the day listening to the Bokeh on a base Wells Audio V8 and that is one hell of a pairing! My only other OTL is a Woo WA3 which has a poor dampening factor with the Bokeh. Not so with the V8! Clean, fast, powerful, and engaging. I'm really enjoying this pairing, even more than the Tuba I normally run the Bokeh on. The V8 is more spacious and dynamic, with a touch more warmth. Very fun pairing!

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,892 of 2,540
(

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them-I’ll go and find the tungsten thread. I literally just bought a Burson soloist 3x gt so I could one day drive sus or the tungsten’s. Cheers.
Mine has just arrived. Will need a bit of time, but for just a few mins, they sound bloody great.

The mid bass is great, but real hard bass from The Prodigy is less than what I was expecting. But it was quality mind, as in you could…..hear the texture. It’s sound mad, but I swear that’s what I got from it.

The previous mentions of Meute and The Hu are sublime.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #1,893 of 2,540
Mine has just arrived. Will need a bit of time, but for just a few mins, they sound bloody great.

The mid bass is great, but real hard bass from The Prodigy is less than what I was expecting. But it was quality mind, as in you could…..hear the texture. It’s sound mad, but I swear that’s what I got from it.

The previous mentions of Meute and The Hu are sublime.
Thank you!!! I’ll be checking in again with you later. Cheers!

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,894 of 2,540
So I just received my Bokeh headphones. Great packaging and nice touch with my name on the authentication card. Sound great out of the box. But I'm glad I bought a pilot pad with them cause otherwise they are too big for my head even at the smallest adjustable headband setting. The pilot pad makes them wearable and perhaps more comfortable for me. Took a bit of struggle to get it on though but it works. I'll give these time to break in and try the other pads.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #1,895 of 2,540
Received my Bokeh on Monday, initially had some issues with the left driver, but seems like I got it resolved now, customer support was very good as usual with ZMF.

After a few hours listening (no mesh and hybrid pads) I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the sound. It sound very lively and spacious for a closed headphone IMO. Bass goes deep and is very snappy. Pad change and no mesh gives some nice zing up top. Also I think the comfort deserves a special mention, it's very very good. I haven't directly compared to the D7200 yet but I suspect I know which one I prefer..

IMG_2938.jpg

Hey nice photo. I have the second gen of the Feliks Audio Echo. How did having no mesh change the sound for you compared with having them on? I just received my Bokeh.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,896 of 2,540
It's basically the same method that @BeelzAlBob posted earlier, except with more "tuck and hold" before finger insertion.
(Insert off color joke here)
Here's the link to the video:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-bokeh-closed-back-semi-portable.969961/page-95#post-17968539
This feels very wrong to do and could not get it work this easy for the Bokeh, unless he had used pads with supple flanges. One side always popped out

However, using this method and "the lobster/crab method"?? by clawing your hand around where it pops off (always the same place) I got it done.

But now I'm done lol. Vented mesh and Hybrid pads, thats it never changing lol.
Compared to the NightOwls, they are lighter than I was expecting and amazingly probably more comfortable. They do melt over you head very nicely. Mine came with the Crescent Strap

The sound is way more detailed, wider and more vertical staging. Still that isolation of a CB, but honestly, stage better than the 660s (1) from memory

Again I'm no reviewer, but I'll do my best.

2022 Burson 3x GT w/Super Charger V6 Viv's and SMSL D1se. I found the "Tube 3" to just round off the treble nicely compared to my usual Rich setting which on occasion was just very slightly sharp

Fleetwood Mac, The Chain - The twangs of the guitar were fantastic with good honest bass coming through. Throughout the song the tambre is far improved over the N/O

REM, Loosing My Religion - has great musical seperation and clarity with Stipe's vocals load, clear and slighty forward.

Gerry Rafferty, Baker Street - Lovely mellow voice from Rafferty and the sax is nicely handled with a waftiness (in a good way like its being played from a tall rooftop) in the staging, that, and I swear you can hear just right of centre, that with the NightOwls, just was very meh and lost all location/presence.

Nina Simmone, Sinnerman - Again the seperation is yards better, even considering the stereo mix of the song anyway. The constant cymble taps come from a strong right where the N/O again loose them to a more central position. I love this song, despite it having about 6 endings.

Got to Turn My Luck Around, Rikard From - This is a very revealing piano track, clearly hearing the hammers and the foot pedals being used, which are completely lost on the N/O.

Deadmau5, Let Go (ext'd edt) - Oh my, a wonderful almost 3D sound with great, quick bass. Yummy.

Just a quick compare to the Ayra Stealths

Atmosphere, Camera Thief - IMPACT!! Real hard snare drum hits and a thumpy bass that really show this is a fun headphone. Compared to the Arya Stealths now, this really shows them that these are a closed set, but I'll pick the Bokeh easily.

Future, Mask Off - The echo of the voices at the start have a great presence stereo tweaks but still a strong central voice. However the bass in this is sub bass and the Bokeh misses it and we just get a good boom. The Arya loosens the vocals a little bit which is good (a bit more realistic) but bad (again less smile inducing), but the Stealths bass easily rumbles well below the Bokeh.

The Dark Knight - Why So Serious. Considering the bass, the Bokeh did really well, but I thought I'd get that subwoofer bass movement even if its not so deep, again it was "just" a great rumble. The Steaths had that real sub bass air movement. The big drum hit towards the end had better staging and reaslism, but the Bokeh punched your ears like an Anthony Joshua hit to the ears.

So thats enough of my amature ramblings. The Bokeh is an incredible set of cans. For CB they have great staging, great placement of instruments and just impossibly fun without loosing clarity and separtion on bass, mid and treble. The do not have the sub bass but everything else is lovely and they work well with lower SQ tracks, but love better ones.

These work well with the little jazz I played like Caravan and I do get the feeling a good valve would be lush with these, but I fear for the best sound you need a pretty decent one as just the Tube setting worked well on the SMSL.

While I got these as a trade, they are little used some some burn in will be done.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #1,897 of 2,540
Man I felt like I beat a dark souls boss once I finally got the pads on.. but it was worth it! I liked the stock tuning but with the hybrid pads + solid mesh, I love these headphones! Much more balanced sound and more to my taste. These are great--- just super fast and fun, wide soundstage for a closed back, vocals are fantastic, everything has it's place, and they handle chaotic tracks very well. Very addictive and fun sound!

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #1,899 of 2,540
Man I felt like I beat a dark souls boss once I finally got the pads on.. but it was worth it! I liked the stock tuning but with the hybrid pads + solid mesh, I love these headphones! Much more balanced sound and more to my taste. These are great--- just super fast and fun, wide soundstage for a closed back, vocals are fantastic, everything has it's place, and they handle chaotic tracks very well. Very addictive and fun sound!
Haha - an hour ago I wouldn't have known what a dark souls boss was but I just had my beard trimmed by a young barber who was cursing some brother that kept teleporting and then when you killed him, his brother came and revived him and kept reviving him, making him impossible to defeat. I asked what the hell he was on about. He said "you know - dark soul bosses"................Haha - i'm more into JRPGs.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #1,900 of 2,540
These are so versitle. Work supremely well with god quailty sound, but I've just spent another half hour on YouTube and I'm not in the slightest bit less happy with them and while you can crank these up, they absolutely don't loose anything at quieter volumes.
Mine arrive next Wednesday - I am not sleeping haha!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #1,902 of 2,540
Haha - an hour ago I wouldn't have known what a dark souls boss was but I just had my beard trimmed by a young barber who was cursing some brother that kept teleporting and then when you killed him, his brother came and revived him and kept reviving him, making him impossible to defeat. I asked what the hell he was on about. He said "you know - dark soul bosses"................Haha - i'm more into JRPGs.
I know exactly which boss you are talking about, pretty accurate to my experience of putting the pads on as well lmao! Elden Ring was the gateway drug of soulslikes for me, after I played that I “got it” and learned to enjoy the suffering. Miyazaki is a master and those games are his art!

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #1,903 of 2,540
I know exactly which boss you are talking about, pretty accurate to my experience of putting the pads on as well lmao! Elden Ring was the gateway drug of soulslikes for me, after I played that I “got it” and learned to enjoy the suffering. Miyazaki is a master and those games are his art!
I won't hijack the thread but I love Ys, Legend of Heroes, Dragon Quest, FF, Persona, One Piece etc.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #1,904 of 2,540
I did the first one using Zach's method and won like a champion.

The second wave kicked my ass for 15mins at least and a felt like a undergrad way out his depth. Then using the method I said and using every finger and thumb and sweat gland, I just had to take minute and realise what I've finally just conqured lol.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #1,905 of 2,540
I did the first one using Zach's method and won like a champion.

The second wave kicked my ass for 15mins at least and a felt like a undergrad way out his depth. Then using the method I said and using every finger and thumb and sweat gland, I just had to take minute and realise what I've finally just conqured lol.
:sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back