ZMF Auteur Thread
Aug 8, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #6,721 of 8,367
Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise! :) It doesn't jump out at you all the time. But if we get the right track going, and we happen to be ABing between the OG and Classic at that moment, it's definitely noticeable. For me, The XX's Fantasy tended to showcase it well.
First time I noticed it was on the old Dobie Gray track, "Drift Away"

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #6,722 of 8,367
First time I noticed it was on the old Dobie Gray track, "Drift Away"

Yeah, I can see (hear) that happening there for sure with that track!

You know what else I noticed, though it has nothing to do with the Auteur Classic? I like sandwiches. I like ice cream. And while I might not have thought to put that combination together myself, I do indeed like ice cream sandwiches quite a bit. Also, it's hot today.

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #6,723 of 8,367
Yeah, I can see (hear) that happening there for sure with that track!

You know what else I noticed, though it has nothing to do with the Auteur Classic? I like sandwiches. I like ice cream. And while I might not have thought to put that combination together myself, I do indeed like ice cream sandwiches quite a bit. Also, it's hot today.
This is where it's at:
VanillaSandwich_6_042018.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #6,724 of 8,367
So excited when I saw 'ZMF Auteur Invoicing' email, and very disappointed once I opened it.

I've never looked forward to getting a bill so much :)

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #6,725 of 8,367
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #6,726 of 8,367
So excited when I saw 'ZMF Auteur Invoicing' email, and very disappointed once I opened it.

I've never looked forward to getting a bill so much :)
Let me know your Paypal email. I'll send you an invoice every week until you get your fill.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #6,727 of 8,367
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #6,728 of 8,367
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #6,730 of 8,367
after mainly listening to the VC (and aeolus on the side), going back to the OG auteur after 6 months of neglect basically I feel now that the OG auteur is too bright and lean :frowning2: even with the eikon pads. Which pads can give the OG auteur some nice warmth?

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #6,731 of 8,367
I feel now that the OG auteur is too bright and lean :frowning2: even with the eikon pads. Which pads can give the OG auteur some nice warmth?
Send it back to ZMF for the upgrade to Classic.
You can thank me later

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #6,732 of 8,367
... even with the eikon pads. Which pads can give the OG auteur some nice warmth?
I guess this is Your ears/My ears.

I found the perf lamb Eikon pads (one of two sets shipped with OG Auteur) too warm and rolled with the Auteur perf lamb for quite some time. Then eventually picked up some suede options, and settled on Eikon perf suede as my preferred option for my Goldilocks headphones (not too warm, not too bright).

I could re-visit my Universe Suede pads ... if only I had my Auteur in hand. They're currently with Zach getting upgraded to Classic.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #6,733 of 8,367
Night 3 with the Auteur Classic. I have about 35-40 hours of burn in on it now.
There is still some roughness around the edges, but the basics have remained the same.
Much more bass than the OG, very very impactful. It's really not even close in comparison. Sub bass isnt overt, but on certain tracks it really flexes its muscles. Dazed and Confused- Led Zeppelin is a good example of when the Classic shows what its sub bass is all about.
So much more weight to the music on the Classic, making it quite a visceral listen.
I'm still finding the OG brighter than the Classic, and as I said the other day the staging is quite similar to the Atrium. 3Dness. width and height all go to the Classic, giving it a more ethereal sound vs. OG, which sounds more linear.

I'm using stock cables for both Auteurs. Tubes tonight in the Airmid are Tung Sol 6j5 black cans and Bendix 6080. In the Lampizator i'm running a pair of late '50's Tesla El51s and USAF 596

Auteur Lambskin pads on both

20220809_234304.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #6,734 of 8,367
Night 3 with the Auteur Classic. I have about 35-40 hours of burn in on it now.
There is still some roughness around the edges, but the basics have remained the same.
Much more bass than the OG, very very impactful. It's really not even close in comparison. Sub bass isnt overt, but on certain tracks it really flexes its muscles. Dazed and Confused- Led Zeppelin is a good example of when the Classic shows what its sub bass is all about.
So much more weight to the music on the Classic, making it quite a visceral listen.
I'm still finding the OG brighter than the Classic, and as I said the other day the staging is quite similar to the Atrium. 3Dness. width and height all go to the Classic, giving it a more ethereal sound vs. OG, which sounds more linear.

I'm using stock cables for both Auteurs. Tubes tonight in the Airmid are Tung Sol 6j5 black cans and Bendix 6080. In the Lampizator i'm running a pair of late '50's Tesla El51s and USAF 596

Auteur Lambskin pads on both

20220809_234304.jpg
Yeah can’t wait to get hands on these as they should be arriving tomorrow. There will be “Tom Sawyer” ready and waiting as track #1 for these…Thanks for the sneak peek

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #6,735 of 8,367
Yeah can’t wait to get hands on these as they should be arriving tomorrow. There will be “Tom Sawyer” ready and waiting as track #1 for these…Thanks for the sneak peek
Great choice for track #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back