ZMF Auteur Thread
Aug 4, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #6,691 of 8,391
OK, I'm not really good at it, but I suppose I'll start with some settings for a different/similar headphone and tweak based on my ears.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #6,692 of 8,391
Question: I hope to find some RME ADI2 EQ parameters for the Auteur, but my number on reference (Oratory 1990) does not list this model. He does list EQ presets for the Eikon and Atticus. Would the Auteur be in the ball park of either of these? I know the Auteur is not in the same ball park as the Verite (which I own) so Verite EQ presets wouldn't be a match.
Maybe the reason there's no EQ preset for the Auteur is that it doesn't need any EQ :wink: Only half joking...I seriously miss my pair of Auteurs.

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #6,693 of 8,391
...I seriously miss my pair of Auteurs.
Notice what you said about preferring your Verite when you put them up for sale. I do the same thing occasionally, fall into a relationship with one of my sets and sort of shove others off to the side. Then, a while later, return to one of the others with fresh ears and suddenly I'm like '...these are great! How could I consider selling them? What was I thinking?'

But, once my upgraded Auteur and my Coco Atrium show up, I'm gonna have to make some decisions:

Utopia
Auteur
Atrium
Elite
Ether 2
Hedd
HEKse
HE-560
HD-6xx

2 or 3 too many :)

Not worth selling 6xx or 560s, but the others? eeny meeny miny moe!

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #6,694 of 8,391
Notice what you said about preferring your Verite when you put them up for sale. I do the same thing occasionally, fall into a relationship with one of my sets and sort of shove others off to the side. Then, a while later, return to one of the others with fresh ears and suddenly I'm like '...these are great! How could I consider selling them? What was I thinking?'

But, once my upgraded Auteur and my Coco Atrium show up, I'm gonna have to make some decisions:

Utopia
Auteur
Atrium
Elite
Ether 2
Hedd
HEKse
HE-560
HD-6xx

2 or 3 too many :)

Not worth selling 6xx or 560s, but the others? eeny meeny miny moe!
That’s an impressive list! Out of financial necessity, I have to keep my headphone collection pretty small. But yes that’s exactly what happened to me.

Though, at the same time as I miss the Auteur, I feel like I’d outgrown the sound of the OG model and am now curious to hear the Classic. The Verite just showed me the flaws of the Auteur that I didn’t know where there before. Especially in the treble response.

But now even the VO is on the brink of sale for me. I love the sound one day and hate it the next (mostly due to a hearing imbalance that puts warmer sounding vocals way off to the left in my head), it’s the most infuriating and impressive headphone I’ve ever heard! The nice thing about the Auteur was that it was steady, and centered. I never hated it, at worst was uninspired by it, but it almost always brought a smile to my face.

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #6,695 of 8,391
... at worst was uninspired by it, but it almost always brought a smile to my face.
Apparently you weren't listening to enough Dead on it :)

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #6,696 of 8,391
Apparently you weren't listening to enough Dead on it :)
Haha possible! I’ve taught a couple of Dead Heads as a guitar teacher, but admittedly, I’m not one myself.

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #6,697 of 8,391
Haha possible! I’ve taught a couple of Dead Heads as a guitar teacher, but admittedly, I’m not one myself.
…all the more reason to ask Zach for a “tie-dye” Atrium….☁️🌼🤪

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #6,698 of 8,391
These beautiful Ambrosia Maple Auteur Classic demos showed up today:

PXL_20220806_194948276.jpg

Going to burn them in for 125hrs or so and then do a write up or two. Unfortunately I sold my Auteur earlier this year (before I knew about the Classic), so I can't do a direct comparison. The little that I've heard so far does sound like the Auteur I remember, albeit with the Atrium Dampening System magic.

Do you guys want me to do a pad comparison like I did for the Atrium, VO and VC? I never got around to doing one for the Auteur.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #6,699 of 8,391
These beautiful Ambrosia Maple Auteur Classic demos showed up today:

PXL_20220806_194948276.jpg

Going to burn them in for 125hrs or so and then do a write up or two. Unfortunately I sold my Auteur earlier this year (before I knew about the Classic), so I can't do a direct comparison. The little that I've heard so far does sound like the Auteur I remember, albeit with the Atrium Dampening System magic.

Do you guys want me to do a pad comparison on the Auteur Classic? I never got around to doing one for the Auteur.
So beautiful! I’d be especially curious to hear the differences between the stock Auteur pads and the other Auteur favorites, the Eikon Suede pads. If I ordered one for myself those would be the ones I’d consider.

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #6,700 of 8,391
I love the sound one day and hate it the next (mostly due to a hearing imbalance that puts warmer sounding vocals way off to the left in my head)
I've the exact same issue, because of it actually I can't hear any sibilance and treble peaks from the VO on my right ear, which is great hah, but yeah would rather have centered vocals and hear clearer transients even at the expense of hearing sibilance in both ears.

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #6,701 of 8,391
sounds like you guys might need an amp that does dual mono, like the La Figaro 339

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #6,703 of 8,391
sounds like you guys might need an amp that does dual mono, like the La Figaro 339
It’s definitely something I’ve considered. I’d love to build a Crackatwoa with the channel balance nob for it. The real problem is that only vocals appear to the left, because they’re so prominent. Everything else is centered. So when I’ve played with L/R balancing before, voices are centered, but everything else is thrown off! You just can’t win haha

But for whatever reason, voices are pretty centered using the Auteur for me. That and the HE6SE V2 have been the only headphones that do that for my particular hearing. That’s a major reason why I’m planning on getting the Auteur again.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #6,704 of 8,391
Shootout time
Auteur Classic vs Auteur OG

20220807_132424.jpg

20220807_132412.jpg

20220807_132457.jpg

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #6,705 of 8,391

Users who are viewing this thread

Back