ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 25, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #6,661 of 8,464
Hi @zach915m @BooUrns, sorry for tagging you guys here but I wanted to notify you about an email that I sent to support@zmfheadphones.com and contactZMF@gmail.com two days ago. It's about Auteur Upgrade order #9148.

I had some requests regarding a cable and a pair of pads that I wish to add to the order, but I also see on my DHL-tracking page that my Auteurs will likely will be delivered tomorrow. I don't know if I'm too late with my request, which I would totally understand, but I also don't want to mess up your whole system in this already busy period.

My apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused!

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #6,662 of 8,464
Thanks- you've given me rock solid guidance in the past, so I believe you. Can you point me in the direction of where to find one? The ones that I'm seeing don't specifically indicate foil getters, nor do I know what a foil getter looks like, so I want to make sure I make the right purchase.

Also- I read one of your comments in a previous post, where the LTA MZ3 may not make the Auteur blossom. Since I'm considering the MZ3 right now, do you have regrets about buying it? Do you think it's still a worthwhile purchase and pairing with ZMF (I have Auteur and VO)?

Happy to PM you, if that's easier and to not derail the Auteur thread discussing tube amps!!
See my PM. As for LTA MZ3 + Auteur: no regrets, with the Raytheon 6SN7 / RFT ECC81 plus appropriate break-in time, the Auteur blossoms - takes full flight…🥲

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #6,663 of 8,464
Hi @zach915m @BooUrns, sorry for tagging you guys here but I wanted to notify you about an email that I sent to support@zmfheadphones.com and contactZMF@gmail.com two days ago. It's about Auteur Upgrade order #9148.

I had some requests regarding a cable and a pair of pads that I wish to add to the order, but I also see on my DHL-tracking page that my Auteurs will likely will be delivered tomorrow. I don't know if I'm too late with my request, which I would totally understand, but I also don't want to mess up your whole system in this already busy period.

My apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused!
Oh - shouldn't be a problem! Working through that stuff today will get in touch!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 25, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #6,664 of 8,464
Oh - shouldn't be a problem! Working through that stuff today will get in touch!
Thank you so much!

Good luck with all the upgrades!

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #6,665 of 8,464
To ‘zach915m’:
EC69041E-14B6-4DF3-A543-AB4D94BAB8E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #6,666 of 8,464
It has been quite a long time since I had an evening with the OG Auteur. Damn, I forgot how good these sound!

GEC 6AS7G+NU 6J5
GL KT77+ USAF 596

20220726_000302.jpg

Keeping it dark, with just the glow of the glass and listening to Peter Green on the 2nd anniversary of his passing :frowning2:

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #6,668 of 8,464
Hello,
what for amps are this? Look´s nicely.:thumbsup:
Thanks

The amp on the left is a custom build by a Head Fi member, the Airmid, which unfortunately are no longer available for sale.

The piece on the right is a DAC, Lampizator Atlantic TRP.

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #6,670 of 8,464
To ‘zach915m’:EC69041E-14B6-4DF3-A543-AB4D94BAB8E7.jpeg
You've got to be running out of space at your pad. Let me know if you need somewhere to store your Cocobolo Atriums. Free of charge.

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #6,672 of 8,464
Hello All, how do the Auteur Classics compare in sound to the Audeze LCD-X 2020 Edition?

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #6,673 of 8,464
Hello All, how do the Auteur Classics compare in sound to the Audeze LCD-X 2020 Edition?
Unfortunately I can’t contribute regarding that question specifically, I’ve owned the LCD-XC but not the LCD-X.

I would like to note, though, that these two models are very different headphones, especially on the impedance front (Auteurs = high-impedance; LCD-X = low-impedance IIRC). I mention this because they will therefore behave very differently with many amps, so apples-to-apples comparisons are a bit trickier.

That said, I would imagine you can get high-level impressions about sound signature from folks here.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #6,674 of 8,464
Hello,
I'm with @AudioDuck.

Comparing planar headphones to low/high ohm headphones is a very fine line.
Because the drivers are completely different not only in construction but also in sound.
Their drive technologies are also very different.

Especially with planar headphones, it usually takes more current to drive them if they are to work properly.
And at the same time not distort.
That is why hybrid amplifiers are usually better suited for planar headphones and produce a very good sound image if it has been implemented well.

High impedance headphones also need good powerful amplifiers to sound clean.
I'll leave it open whether it's tubes or SS amplifiers.

Low-impedance headphones as well as low-impedance planar headphones (Aeon 2 as an example)
need relatively less power and at the same time must be able to play without distortion.
That is very important there.
Even if the amplifier delivers 1 watt at 32 ohm, it must be distortion-free.
Many manufacturers have not really understood this yet, even though the trend is moving in this direction.

Because of these aspects alone, a comparison between Auteur and Lcd X is very narrow-lipped.
The Lcd X can sound beautiful and be equal to the Auteur if certain parameters are met.
The rest, frankly, is a matter of musical taste.
I still have the Lcd 2 although I would like to sell it, it sounds absolutely right to me on the Little Dot 1+ amplifier.
When I listen to both and compare them I find it very difficult to let go of the Lcd 2.
Even on a custom hybrid amplifier I still have a hard time.

That's why the drive is so important when comparing the two on the same level, you will hear tonal differences that you like and don't like.
By the way, the topic of drive has gone down in the community and most people don't really use the potential.
Especially in the planar headphone sector there are a lot of deficits, even if there are good SS amps out there, it's not the same when you connect it to a hybrid amp. The fire ignites in a completely different way and you hear things that the SS amp just can't reproduce.

From what I've read, the Auteur OG plays everything below its class much better, and keeps pace with the Lcd 3.
He can't get a better compliment than that.

The Zmf timbre also contributes a good portion, as well as the rest.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #6,675 of 8,464
• I own the Auteur Original (maple ambrosia, LTD stabilised takwin) and Audeze LCD-X (2016: non-suspension headband). I enjoy / love them each for what they are.
• The two headphones have been created for the appreciation / enjoyment of music. That is the commonality. After that, differences - small & great - abound in build and in sound.
• To me, making an Auteur vs LCD-X checklist is akin to crossing a high rope bridge while having “pins & needles” in my feet ! 😳😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back