ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #5,566 of 8,334
I missed out getting a B stock from the sale. Regretting it now. Maybe a new LTD will come out or I'll hold out until next november. Really wish there was a better way to review/sample them. Coming from aeolus to VC, I'm missing some of the more neutral tuning. I'm EQing the VC to help fill in the 3k dip and it gets it to were I prefer. Wish I could get aeolus and auteur in house for review to figure out which I would buy next. Maybe both.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #5,567 of 8,334
I'm thinking I need to try the BE2 pads on the VC to bring the tuning more towards neutral like my Auteur. I like the Eikon Perforated Suede pads on my Ash Auteur, which brings tuning more towards the warmer end of the spectrum. It's like I'm bringing both headphones towards my preference from either end of the tuning spectrum.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #5,568 of 8,334
I'm thinking I need to try the BE2 pads on the VC to bring the tuning more towards neutral like my Auteur. I like the Eikon Perforated Suede pads on my Ash Auteur, which brings tuning more towards the warmer end of the spectrum. It's like I'm bringing both headphones towards my preference from either end of the tuning spectrum.
I have been using the hybrid BE2 pads on my VC for several months now. It's a nice option, seems more neutral than the pads I'd used before (solid Universe and Auteur). I also tried a pair of solid Eikon pads... man, that blooms the bass. Which, not a big deal, I bought them for some old Sextetts and they play great with them.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5,569 of 8,334
I have been using the hybrid BE2 pads on my VC for several months now. It's a nice option, seems more neutral than the pads I'd used before (solid Universe and Auteur). I also tried a pair of solid Eikon pads... man, that blooms the bass. Which, not a big deal, I bought them for some old Sextetts and they play great with them.
Did you try the lambskin BE2 pads or just the hybrid on your VC? I actually prefer the feel of lambskin, but I make an exception for the Eikon Suedes on my Auteur because I like the sound of the pads so much.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #5,570 of 8,334
Did you try the lambskin BE2 pads or just the hybrid on your VC? I actually prefer the feel of lambskin, but I make an exception for the Eikon Suedes on my Auteur because I like the sound of the pads so much.
Just the hybrid.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #5,571 of 8,334
In no way does it feel like a step down in sound
Personally I find this to be key. In terms of enjoyment, better technicalities (or fill in just about any other audiophile term) does not (necessarily) translate to more enjoyment. That's what I love about Zach's creations...the one you like the most isn't always the most expensive (though I do LOVE both Verite iterations)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #5,572 of 8,334
I've got lambskin BE2 and Verite pads for the VC. I haven't had too much time with the Verite pads but I've been using the BE2 pads for a couple of weeks now. WIthout EQ, BE2/Verite pads are a must for me getting towards a more natural sound. ABXing the Auteur, Universe, BE2, and Verite pads (all leather), it just made me see how much the Auteur and universe just sound hollow. They just lack the energy primarily due to the dip in the tuning, but they lean to a more warm sound. The BE2 and Verite seem to lean out the bass, giving some space for the midrange to be a little more elevated.

I still EQ even with the BE2 to bring it even closer to were I want to it be, but I can do occasionally (maybe 10-20% of the time) listen to it without EQ and I don't find I'm missing too much with the BE2 pads. That is why I am very interested in the Auteur with its tuning more or less being in line with where I am pushing the VC's midrange/low treble to be. Might be able to run both without EQ, if you are an anti-EQ individual, and still have enjoyable listening.

Whenever I get enough free time, I'll adjust my EQ for each pad and compare them again. Because each pad does change the staging. BE2 and Verite are definitely less 3D to me like the Auteur pads are.

My current ranking for neutrality on VC pads would be: BE2/Verite** > Universe > Auteur.
** - assuming it performs similarly to BE2, I'll have try it some more to be 100% sure

It would be curious to try Aeolus+Verite/BE2 pads, Auteur+Auteur(maybe Universe per the pad chart), and VC(and by proxy VO)+BE2/Verite pads and compare all the neutral versions.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #5,573 of 8,334
I've got lambskin BE2 and Verite pads for the VC. I haven't had too much time with the Verite pads but I've been using the BE2 pads for a couple of weeks now. WIthout EQ, BE2/Verite pads are a must for me getting towards a more natural sound. ABXing the Auteur, Universe, BE2, and Verite pads (all leather), it just made me see how much the Auteur and universe just sound hollow. They just lack the energy primarily due to the dip in the tuning, but they lean to a more warm sound. The BE2 and Verite seem to lean out the bass, giving some space for the midrange to be a little more elevated.

I still EQ even with the BE2 to bring it even closer to were I want to it be, but I can do occasionally (maybe 10-20% of the time) listen to it without EQ and I don't find I'm missing too much with the BE2 pads. That is why I am very interested in the Auteur with its tuning more or less being in line with where I am pushing the VC's midrange/low treble to be. Might be able to run both without EQ, if you are an anti-EQ individual, and still have enjoyable listening.

Whenever I get enough free time, I'll adjust my EQ for each pad and compare them again. Because each pad does change the staging. BE2 and Verite are definitely less 3D to me like the Auteur pads are.

My current ranking for neutrality on VC pads would be: BE2/Verite** > Universe > Auteur.
** - assuming it performs similarly to BE2, I'll have try it some more to be 100% sure

It would be curious to try Aeolus+Verite/BE2 pads, Auteur+Auteur(maybe Universe per the pad chart), and VC(and by proxy VO)+BE2/Verite pads and compare all the neutral versions.
This is very helpful info to have. I think I will see if anyone wants to trade their lambskin solid BE2 pads for my lambskin solid Universe pads. I know I prefer the Auteur pads to the Universe on my VC. I am currently preferring the Eikon perforated suedes on my Auteur.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #5,574 of 8,334
Do you think the Eikon perf Suede pads will have more bite with the electric guitars vs the Auteur perf Lambskin pads?
I can find out for you. I do have a pair of those. I don't exactly remember what I didnt like about those when I first tried them. I think it's because no other pads gives the type of air and treble sparkle and space quite like the auteur pads. But I ll post back tonight and let you know. Any particular song you want me to try?

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #5,575 of 8,334
I can find out for you. I do have a pair of those. I don't exactly remember what I didnt like about those when I first tried them. I think it's because no other pads gives the type of air and treble sparkle and space quite like the auteur pads. But I ll post back tonight and let you know. Any particular song you want me to try?

Ok thanks for your help :wink:

Please try with this song. (The first 2 minutes)

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #5,576 of 8,334
I am with you on the Auteur perforated lambskin pads.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #5,577 of 8,334
My new pair of Auteur :wink:

0__AUAMAPD_1024x1024@2x.jpg
This may well be the prettiest Auteur I've ever seen. The wood is spectacular!

I don't usually like any grill/hardward color other than SS or black--but this color perfectly "locks in" with the wood.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #5,578 of 8,334
I’m having mixed emotions with the Blackwood Auteur due to arrive any day now. My Ash Auteur looks so good that I don’t know that I’ll be able to let it go even if the Blackwood dethrones it sonically!
5068D494-AB22-4753-8402-2F9DEA7B265A.jpeg
Give blackwood a chance. It's a majestic wood.

First look at it in regular light. Then put a strong light on it indirectly. It'll look like a totally different wood.

My blackwood Aeolus looks like black marble until I light it. Can't get over how many moves this wood has...

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #5,579 of 8,334
Give blackwood a chance. It's a majestic wood.

First look at it in regular light. Then put a strong light on it indirectly. It'll look like a totally different wood.

My blackwood Aeolus looks like black marble until I light it. Can't get over how many moves this wood has...
Lennonesque: ‘give blackwood a chance’…
McCartneyesque: ‘blackwood singing in the dead of night’…

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #5,580 of 8,334
Let the battle begin…
155065E7-F31B-45F3-929E-00F6B3CEE180.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back